Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Are You Spending Your Thanksgiving Holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    My family live upstairs they will send a dinner down, I just got out of the Covid Emergency ward yesterday, haven't worked in two weeks. Almost didn't make it - so many prayers, just so thankful! But not out of the woods yet...
    Glad you survived and hope your recovery progresses.

Now you can assure anyone you know who still thinks Covid is a hoax and/or not a serious threat, that you know differently.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      My country doesn't do thanksgiving
      That might come as a surprise to some Americans!

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      (and barely does Halloween), so I'll have to wait for Christmas for the food and family get together. Hopefully no cases of covid slip through the borders between now and then. Won't be fun if we have to wear masks over the summer.
      Here's hoping your festive season goes well, especially in warm weather. No danger of that here!
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Have you ever had a total loss of taste and smell before? My sense of smell is often altered when I get a cold or flu, but not completely absent. I couldn't even smell smoke, which makes me think I had it. But my doctor said "no", that the disease hadn't hit my region at that time.
        No, not like this - it was completely different.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Glad you survived and hope your recovery progresses.

Now you can assure anyone you know who still thinks Covid is a hoax and/or not a serious threat, that you know differently.
          I don't have any friends who thought it was a hoax. We lost a close friend early on.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I don't have any friends who thought it was a hoax.
            That is good hear from someone who has always struck me as an ardent Trump supporter. No QAnon conspiracists among your friends then?

We lost a close friend early on.
            That is a tragedy so many have experienced.

"It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is good hear from someone who has always struck me as an ardent Trump supporter. No QAnon conspiracists among your friends then?
              Yes I was a Trump supporter, and he never said COVID was a hoax.

That is a tragedy so many have experienced.
              We can thank China!

Comment

Yes I was a Trump supporter, and he never said COVID was a hoax.
                I never wrote that he did. However, many of his QAnon supporters have some rather eccentric ideas about Covid-19.

We can thank China!
                And China has also seen people die.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I'll be meeting with a few family members, but truthfully, I dislike Thanksgiving. I dislike holidays in the first place because I've always associated them with loneliness and bouts of depression, and Thanksgiving has always been the worst.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That might come as a surprise to some Americans!

Here's hoping your festive season goes well, especially in warm weather. No danger of that here!
                    Not really. I was surprised at how many different countries celebrate it -- although I was aware that a bunch of countries have a similar holiday, like Erntedankfest in Germany.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Not really. I was surprised at how many different countries celebrate it -- although I was aware that a bunch of countries have a similar holiday, like Erntedankfest in Germany.
                      Oh I think you will find versions of celebrations for the harvest in most settled societies.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh I think you will find versions of celebrations for the harvest in most settled societies.
                        Here in the U.S. we celebrate a whole bunch of holidays created in different countries, like Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, St. Patrick's Day... We say its because we're a country of immigrants from all over the world and we adopt some of their customs and practices but I think it's because we're always looking for an excuse to party and get drunk

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Here in the U.S. we celebrate a whole bunch of holidays created in different countries, like Cinco de Mayo, Oktoberfest, St. Patrick's Day... We say its because we're a country of immigrants from all over the world and we adopt some of their customs and practices but I think it's because we're always looking for an excuse to party and get drunk
                          The latter is invariably a good excuse!
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I'll be meeting with a few family members, but truthfully, I dislike Thanksgiving. I dislike holidays in the first place because I've always associated them with loneliness and bouts of depression, and Thanksgiving has always been the worst.
                            I can understand that, I was always the first one to be ditched during such gatherings. Thanksgiving was also one of the worst for me too. Couldn't even attempt to do much because of my much more limited mobility, and the designs of the houses that we usually went to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                              I'm gathering with family (a decent number of my wife's family is coming over, as are all my kids and several of my family from around the country.

Anyone else gathering with family? Staying home alone? Stuck with an insufferable Governor/Mayor who wants to fine you if you have a gathering?

Here in Denver, we don't have any limitations placed that are enforcible, but they've been pounding it into people's heads the last few weeks not to gather. Earlier today the oh-so-lovely mayor of Denver tweeted out a tweet telling people to stay home, 'pass the potatoes not COVID', and to not travel or host gatherings....... and then 30 minutes later hopped on a flight at the airport to go to his family in Mississippi for Thanksgiving.
                              The numbers in Indiana are rising, and my wife works at a grocery store. So, we were going to keep it just us and her mom and dad. I thought that wasn't a great idea because her dad is on his second round of Chemo for cancer and his immune system is going to be wonky.

But, a covid scare at his workplace made them change their mind about us coming down, which is good. So, now it's just me, my wife, and our kids.

Comment

Thanksgiving Proclamation

[New York, 3 October 1789]

By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be—That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks—for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation—for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war—for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed—for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted—for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions—to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually—to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed—to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord—To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and us—and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New-York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Comment