Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How Are You Spending Your Thanksgiving Holiday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Are You Spending Your Thanksgiving Holiday?

I'm gathering with family (a decent number of my wife's family is coming over, as are all my kids and several of my family from around the country.

Anyone else gathering with family? Staying home alone? Stuck with an insufferable Governor/Mayor who wants to fine you if you have a gathering?

Here in Denver, we don't have any limitations placed that are enforcible, but they've been pounding it into people's heads the last few weeks not to gather. Earlier today the oh-so-lovely mayor of Denver tweeted out a tweet telling people to stay home, 'pass the potatoes not COVID', and to not travel or host gatherings....... and then 30 minutes later hopped on a flight at the airport to go to his family in Mississippi for Thanksgiving.

Staying home with wife, two cats, and one turkey and fixings. While we have one of those insufferable Governors, my wife is concerned enough about COVID that we wouldn't be going out anyways.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Sharing with parents and miscellaneous relatives nearby.

Comment

There will probably be around 15 or so at Thanksgiving this year. It is naturally dwindling as oldsters pass on and youngsters scatter around the country.

Comment

Celebrated in October with the 3 of us who live here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Family moved away. Friends been dropping like flies. Recently broke up with gf. Likely celebrate it by myself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Family moved away. Friends been dropping like flies. Recently broke up with gf. Likely celebrate it by myself.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My family live upstairs they will send a dinner down, I just got out of the Covid Emergency ward yesterday, haven't worked in two weeks. Almost didn't make it - so many prayers, just so thankful! But not out of the woods yet...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  My family live upstairs they will send a dinner down, I just got out of the Covid Emergency ward yesterday, haven't worked in two weeks. Almost didn't make it - so many prayers, just so thankful! But not out of the woods yet...
                  I'm sorry, seer! We will pray for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Here in Denver, we don't have any limitations placed that are enforcible, but they've been pounding it into people's heads the last few weeks not to gather. Earlier today the oh-so-lovely mayor of Denver tweeted out a tweet telling people to stay home, 'pass the potatoes not COVID', and to not travel or host gatherings....... and then 30 minutes later hopped on a flight at the airport to go to his family in Mississippi for Thanksgiving.
                    Another one joins the growing list of do as I say, not as I do/rules for thee not for me crowd

Source: Hancock travels to Mississippi for Thanksgiving after pleading with Denverites to stay home if possible

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock flew to Mississippi Wednesday to have Thanksgiving with his wife and daughter at his daughter’s home after pleading with Denverites not to travel for the holiday if possible.

On Wednesday morning, Mike Strott, deputy communications director with the Office of the Mayor, confirmed that Hancock had left the state to celebrate the holiday.

In a statement, Strott said: "As he has shared, the Mayor is not hosting his traditional large family dinner this year, but instead traveling alone to join his wife and daughter where the three of them will celebrate Thanksgiving at her residence instead of having them travel back to Denver. Upon return, he will follow all necessary health and safety guidance and quarantine."

This comes at a time when more Coloradans than ever before are contagious with COVID-19. About one in 41 Coloradans are contagious with coronavirus, up from one in 49 last week and a large increase from an estimated one in 110 in recent weeks, health officials said in a Tuesday press conference.

During a Mornings with the Mayor segment on Denver7 Wednesday morning, Hancock said if you can, stay in your household and with those you live with for the holiday. If you choose to travel, he said to "do what we’ve always been asking throughout the entire experience: Wear a mask, social distance and wash your hands."

On Wednesday afternoon, Gov. Jared Polis said he hadn't talked with Hancock about his Thanksgiving plans, and was not aware of them. Polis said he will celebrate Thanksgiving with just his four-person family.

"That's because we care deeply about our extended family and I haven't seen my parents in nine months and that's very hard," he said. "Not only do I want to set the example as governor, of course, but frankly this is what we do because we love our family."

Denver City Council President Stacie Gilmore said in a statement Wednesday afternoon that she expects the mayor “will follow and comply with the directives he issued to all City of Denver employees and quarantine for 14 days upon his return.”

"While we all miss the ability to see our friends and family during the holidays, travel is strongly discouraged by all the leading health experts. The most recent health order from the State of Colorado asks that travel be limited to ‘necessary travel’ for critical government and business purposes only," Gilmore added. "I strongly encourage all Denver residents to stay home for the holidays. Protect yourselves and the people you care about by continuing to diligently follow all safety guidelines."

On Wednesday at 8:43 a.m., Hancock's Twitter account published a tweet emphasizing the importance of staying at home as much as possible and avoiding travel.

The Denver Department of Public Safety issued a message on Monday from Executive Director Murphy Robinson, which read, "Rising COVID cases require all of us to take additional precautions and for many, that means sharing a Thanksgiving meal with loved ones virtually instead of in person. These are tough times and we are all weary of all the limitations this pandemic is placing on our lives. Unfortunately, we now find ourselves in the midst of the largest surge in cases we’ve seen so far and trends indicate it will get worse before it gets better."

Hancock started urging Denverites to rethink their Thanksgiving plans in early November.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

[*Story continues at ink above*]

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

6' away

Comment

Thanks guys...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Glad you're OK.

Maybe when you're back to 100% you can give us some advice on what you learned firsthand? I have several questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Glad you're OK.

Maybe when you're back to 100% you can give us some advice on what you learned firsthand? I have several questions.
                            Ask away! A lot of people are not 100% even months after. The doctors were honest - they don't have a handle on this.

Comment

Much to my surprise (we don't traditionally celebrate Thanksgiving, we being Latin Americans and all), my family announced they want to celebrate Thanksgiving. Just me, my old folks, my sister, his hubby and daughter.

Can't wait, teehee.
                              Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                              As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment