Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taking Melatonin reduces the incidence of testing positive for COVID-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Melatonin reduces the incidence of testing positive for COVID-19

It has been demonstrated the Melatonin reduces positive tests for COVID-19.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-to-know-about-that-study-claiming-melatonin-can-treat-covid-19

What to Know About That Study Claiming Melatonin Can Treat COVID-19

Share on Pinterest

New research suggests that melatonin may protect against COVID-19 by increasing tolerance to the virus. But randomized controlled trials are needed before we’ll know if it works. ozgurdonmaz / Getty Images

• Through a “big data” approach, Cleveland Clinic researchers have identified the sleep aid melatonin as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
    • Melatonin could possibly protect against COVID-19 by increasing tolerance to the virus.
    • Randomized controlled trials are needed before we’ll know if it works.
    As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to surge, there’s a strong push to develop drugs and vaccines that will help control this disease.

According to Feixiong Cheng, PhD, a researcher at Cleveland Clinic’s Lerner Research Institute, one way that researchers have tried to fast-track potential treatments is by repurposing existing drugs.

Some examples of repurposed drugs already in use in the battle against COVID-19 include the steroid dexamethasone and the antiviral remdesivir.

“Traditional de novo [new] drug discovery is costly, and we have to wait a long time (10 to 15 years),” said Cheng. “Drug repurposing will significantly reduce cost and time for the emerging COVID-19 pandemic compared to traditional drug discovery approaches.”

One promising drug that Cheng’s team has identified is something that might already be in your medicine cabinet: the sleep aid melatonin.

Dr. Sanjay Sethi, who’s currently studying melatonin as a potential COVID-19 treatment at the University at Buffalo, a “big data” approach uses “large volumes of biological, biometric, and electronic health data for research.”

“It often requires special analytic tools and computing power to complete,” Sethi explained.

Cheng said that his team used network medicine methodologies as well as a large database of electronic health records from the Cleveland Clinic to identify symptoms and processes that COVID-19 has in common with other diseases.

They then obtained the host proteins that are targeted by human coronaviruses or are involved in critical pathways of the infection. These were compared to known drug-to-target interactions.

Based on their analyses, melatonin was identified as a potential treatment for COVID-19.

Sethi said that Cheng’s team had two lines of data that formed the basis of their assessment.

First, from their network analysis, they could see that there were pathways active in COVID-19 that could be affected by melatonin.

Second, they were able to determine that people who got tested for COVID-19 at the clinic who were also taking melatonin had a lower incidence of being positive for the disease.

Nancy Schimelpfening on November 18, 2020 —

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Did they say anything about dosage? I typically take about half a mg (500 mcg) before bed. I have trouble getting to sleep without it, but with it, I sleep a long time, and am foggy for hours after I get up. (Those latter facts are much worse since starting BP meds Oct. 2019, and especially since my six weeks of Worst-Ever Flu Dec. 2019 to Feb. 2020.)
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      Did they say anything about dosage? I typically take about half a mg (500 mcg) before bed. I have trouble getting to sleep without it, but with it, I sleep a long time, and am foggy for hours after I get up. (Those latter facts are much worse since starting BP meds Oct. 2019, and especially since my six weeks of Worst-Ever Flu Dec. 2019 to Feb. 2020.)
      I do not know the recommended nor limits of dosage. Pills and gummies most often are in 500 mg. I take 1500 mg in the evening. Some one in another site takes 2000 mg. One reported having nightmares, if anything I have a bit more vivid dreams and better sleep. I also do 15 mg of zinc dissolved under the tongue some evenings to reduce the incidence of colds and flu.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

I do not know the recommended nor limits of dosage. Pills and gummies most often are in 500 mg. I take 1500 mg in the evening. Some one in another site takes 2000 mg. One reported having nightmares, if anything I have a bit more vivid dreams and better sleep. I also do 15 mg of zinc dissolved under the tongue some evenings to reduce the incidence of colds and flu.
        I had good success treating oncoming colds with zinc acetate lozenges or zinc gluconate glycine lozenges, but I found that they significantly blunted my sense of taste. When I noticed that, I looked around online and found that some people developed long-term loss of sense of taste.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I had good success treating oncoming colds with zinc acetate lozenges or zinc gluconate glycine lozenges, but I found that they significantly blunted my sense of taste. When I noticed that, I looked around online and found that some people developed long-term loss of sense of taste.
          I consider this dose related. I limit this to 15 mg occasionally dissolved under the tongue, especially if I have first sympums,

Frank

Comment

There was an old guy I knew who crushed lavender and placed it in a bowl next to his bed. He swore it helped him get to sleep, and then sleep through the night. I never tested it because I don't normally have that problem, but maybe worth checking into?

Comment