Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cuomo, Sheriffs, and Dictators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuomo, Sheriffs, and Dictators

Governor Cuomo issued an executive order limiting in person gatherings to 10 people including inside private residents.

Several local sheriffs said they aren't going to count cars around houses and check on number of residents including on Thanksgiving Day. One sheriff argued that he would need a search warrant to enter the house to count people and then he has nothing to arrest them on.

Governor Cuomo says his executive order gives them the right to enter a house and arrest people for violating the restrictions. He then said sheriffs who didn't enforce the order can't pick and chose which laws to enforce and if they day, the sheriffs are dictators.

Now I admit I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, I believe the laws should be enforced. On the other hand, I know the laws are not always enforced. I was let off with a warning once when pulled over for speeding so that speeding law wasn't enforced.

On the other hand, I'm not sure an executive order voids constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure. I get the need for safety but this doesn't feel right.

I do think Governor Cuomo overreached by calling sheriffs dictators for not enforcing his executive order. After all Governor Cuomo issued the executive order so if anything that makes him the dictator.

I see this as a conflict between balancing public safety and individual rights and I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

Here's more detail from a local TV station: https://www.whec.com/coronavirus/enf...rings/5928570/ https://www.whec.com/news/governor-c...33088/?cat=565
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

It's not a law.

Be assured, no EO trump's the US Constitution. Certainly not one from a state governor.

I see it as Cuomo wants to be a dictator, thinks the few who listen to him, is everyone.
    Last edited by Maranatha; 11-24-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
      It's not a law.

Be assured, no EO trump's the US Constitution. Certainly not one from a state governor.

I see it as Cuomo wants to be a dictator, thinks the few who listen to him, is everyone.
      Cuomo actually has a pretty good approval rating. I would be interested to see the difference in his rating between the City and Upstate NY. I'm guess there's significant difference.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Cuomo actually has a pretty good approval rating. I would be interested to see the difference in his rating between the City and Upstate NY. I'm guess there's significant difference.
        I can't even comment on someone's orders about how many people can eat in my house. It's that appalling.

I suppose this would be a stat, how many people think Lord Governor can control how many people are at your table.

Comment

Governor Cuomo issued an executive order limiting in person gatherings to 10 people including inside private residents.

Several local sheriffs said they aren't going to count cars around houses and check on number of residents including on Thanksgiving Day. One sheriff argued that he would need a search warrant to enter the house to count people and then he has nothing to arrest them on.

Governor Cuomo says his executive order gives them the right to enter a house and arrest people for violating the restrictions. He then said sheriffs who didn't enforce the order can't pick and chose which laws to enforce and if they day, the sheriffs are dictators.

Now I admit I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, I believe the laws should be enforced. On the other hand, I know the laws are not always enforced. I was let off with a warning once when pulled over for speeding so that speeding law wasn't enforced.

On the other hand, I'm not sure an executive order voids constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure. I get the need for safety but this doesn't feel right.

I do think Governor Cuomo overreached by calling sheriffs dictators for not enforcing his executive order. After all Governor Cuomo issued the executive order so if anything that makes him the dictator.

I see this as a conflict between balancing public safety and individual rights and I'm not sure what the correct answer is.

Here's more detail from a local TV station: https://www.whec.com/coronavirus/enf...rings/5928570/ https://www.whec.com/news/governor-c...33088/?cat=565
          Cuomo is wrong if he thinks his executive order trumps the constitution. The sheriff is correct, the police can't just burst into someone's house because they merely suspect a law or order by his high and mightiness might be being violated.

As for calling the sheriffs dictators for pointing this out... I believe they call that projection.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

SCOTUS justice Samuel Alito hit the nail squarely on the head when he recently opined that

"The pandemic has resulted in previous unimaginable restrictions on individual liberty... The COVID crisis has served as a sort of constitutional stress test... it has highlighted disturbing trends that were already present before the virus struck."

Several governors have gotten a taste of power and are now drunk on it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              SCOTUS justice Samuel Alito hit the nail squarely on the head when he recently opined that

"The pandemic has resulted in previous unimaginable restrictions on individual liberty... The COVID crisis has served as a sort of constitutional stress test... it has highlighted disturbing trends that were already present before the virus struck."

That happened in California with King Newsom. A court decision was made to keep him from making new laws. It seemed a weird court decision since this decision did not nullify the laws that he already made.

Comment

Lolol. The new liberal paradigm - dictators are people that don't force you to do things; benevolent leaders are those that force you to do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Lolol. The new liberal paradigm - dictators are people that don't force you to do things; benevolent leaders are those that force you to do things.
                  Many have definitely gotten the double-speak of 1984 down.

Comment

I've been thinking when we get enough time past COVID that we can look back, one thing we'll discover is how much civil liberties were eroded.

Someday we'll hear someone say, "Well we did it under COVID so we can do under this situation."

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

That happened in California with King Newsom. A court decision was made to keep him from making new laws. It seemed a weird court decision since this decision did not nullify the laws that he already made.
                      And they always seem to think they are exempt from their own rules. Cuomo repeatedly caught running around without a mask on and ignoring social distancing while doing so. Newsome attending a party in a small room where nobody wore a mask or social distanced. And they are hardly the only ones.

Comment

I've been thinking when we get enough time past COVID that we can look back, one thing we'll discover is how much civil liberties were eroded.

Someday we'll hear someone say, "Well we did it under COVID so we can do under this situation."
                        You already have folks talking about massive shutdowns being used to fight AGW.

Comment

You already have folks talking about massive shutdowns being used to fight AGW.
                          that is a curiosity I have about the novel coronavirus. Everything being done for coronavirus is what libtards want to do to restrict us in all activities. I think this virus should be named the libtardovirus

Comment

Not totally unlike the Patriot Act and associated "anti-terrorism" policies.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Not totally unlike the Patriot Act and associated "anti-terrorism" policies.
                              No argument from me on this one. There are aspects of the Patriot Act I would like to see repealed. Not going to happen however.

Comment