Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's racist appeals powered a white evangelical tsunami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's racist appeals powered a white evangelical tsunami

Well, ever since Trump lost tweb has been a strange and rather boring place filled with frustrated apologists going further and further off track in order to find any hope that Trump will make a triumphant return.

Anyway, it is worth remembering what, luckily, only worked for four years, namely a tragedy supported by people who like to identify themselves as Christians while ironically supporting the exact opposite.

Dana Milbank has written an interesting article about the evangelical tsunami:

As partisans and analysts puzzle over the higher-than-expected turnout for President Trump (nearly 6 million fewer votes than for President-elect Joe Biden, but still high), they are poring over groups and subgroups: White, non-college-educated men. Suburban women. Young Black men.

But much of the Trump 2020 phenomenon can be explained by a far simpler way of looking at the electorate: There are White evangelical Christians — and there is everybody else.
    And if anyone wants to see the criticism of evangelicals as being anti Christian hold on:

A Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary graduate who now runs the Public Religion Research Institute, Robert P. Jones, argues that Trump inspired White Christians, “not despite, but through appeals to white supremacy,” attracting them not because of economics or morality, “but rather that he evoked powerful fears about the loss of White Christian dominance.”
    So this is what we are getting from a Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary graduate. This all supports the idea that many evangelicals are full of fear. The article goes on:

They are, as a group, dying out (median age in the late 50s), and their views are hardly recognizable to many other Americans. Majorities of White evangelical Protestants don’t see the pandemic as a critical issue (they’re less likely than others to wear masks), believe society has become too “soft and feminine,” oppose same-sex marriage, think Trump was called by God to lead and don’t believe he encouraged white supremacist groups.

White evangelicals have become, in essence, an offshore island, one whose inhabitants are slowly but steadily distancing themselves from the American mainland. The fading Island of White Evangelica will, eventually, lose its influence over America.
    Read the entire article: https://frankschaefferblog.com/2020/...lical-tsunami/
    Last edited by Charles; 11-24-2020, 08:43 AM.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Oh boy, another agnostic declaring what evangelicals are supposed to think and do.

I'm so scared, hug me.

Comment

Meh. Democrats spent the last 4 years trying to latch on to whatever next thing would be the end of Trump. Trying to manipulate electoral voters, trying to refuse to certify electoral results in congress, daydreaming of the 25th, latching onto Michael Avenatti, lurching to Mueller, running to Ukraine, all in all yelling "I'll get you next time Gadget, NEXT TIME!"

Comment

Who were they supposed to get behind? The openly racist guy[1] with dementia who supports virtually every policy they oppose?

• who joined with one of the most virulent of the old segregationists to put together a bill to prevent school desegregation. He said that he did so because desegregation would result in his kids having to attend "a jungle, a racial jungle." An interesting choice of words considering its obvious blatantly racist loaded meaning
        • who during the debates wistfully reminisced about the good of days of segregation and how those that opposed it were such nice guys. Even his VP choice called him out on that.
        • who called a former kleagle and Grand Cyclops in the KKK and was still repeatedly using the n-word in public in 2001, his "mentor," "guide" and "friend."
        • who repeatedly declared that unlike Hispanics all blacks think alike. If you say it once you can always claim that you misspoke but old Joe doubled down and repeated this outrageous statement revealing this is what he really believes.
        • who described Obama thusly...

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

...thereby revealing that he thought that most other blacks were by definition unintelligible, ignorant and dirty. According to old Joe this was such an anomaly that it's "storybook."
        • who self-anointed himself as the arbitrator of who is and who isn't authentically black
        • who repeatedly lied about marching in the Civil Rights movement and bizarrely claimed he was jailed in South Africa for trying to visit Nelson Mandela when he was in prison.

Meanwhile the other choice was a guy who the left and MSM (a distinction without a difference) called a racist yet:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, the point seemingly lost on the "Christians" in here who seemingly go for the ad hominem or try with a manipulating presentation of "the alternative was so bad" is very simple. Here in the words of Michael Gerson:

And second, U.S. politics would be better off if White evangelicals consistently applied their moral tradition to public life. Not only Christians, of course, can stand for integrity. But consider what would happen if White evangelicals insisted on supporting honest, compassionate, decent, civil, self-controlled men and women for office. The alternative is our current reality, in which evangelicals have often been a malicious and malignant influence in U.S. politics. https://frankschaefferblog.com/2020/...-out-in-front/
          Seemingly this is beyond the imagination of many "Chrstians" on tweb.

I have not really seen any of you follow that line. I have not seen you draw any line with regard to whom or what you will support and on what conditions. Rather, I have seen the whataboutism, the "he did something worse" and the "standard" of "I don't have to worry about being right if I can find out that you or others did something wrong."

Do you guys realize that you are showing perfect examples of why you are in such a bad situation right now? You compromised your integrity, you justified it with methods even a child can expose for what they are, and for a while it worked in the fallen world you somehow wanted to inhabit. Well, it was obvious to most of us all the way, and this time it was obvious to way too many for it to work even in the fallen world, so you lost the very little you sold your soul for.

Word of advice: You will not help yourself by continuing further in the direction you have chosen. Look at the most recent posts on tweb after Trump lost. Look at the attitude, look at the theories (calling them that is actually taking it too seriously) that Trump won. This was not where you wanted to find yourself when you started to sell out. And remember: Going for more whataboutism instead of dealing with the real problem is just more of a sell out since it will not get you out of your problems. Repent.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Who were they supposed to get behind? The openly racist guy[1] with dementia who supports virtually every policy they oppose?

• who joined with one of the most virulent of the old segregationists to put together a bill to prevent school desegregation. He said that he did so because desegregation would result in his kids having to attend "a jungle, a racial jungle." An interesting choice of words considering its obvious blatantly racist loaded meaning
            • who during the debates wistfully reminisced about the good of days of segregation and how those that opposed it were such nice guys. Even his VP choice called him out on that.
            • who called a former kleagle and Grand Cyclops in the KKK and was still repeatedly using the n-word in public in 2001, his "mentor," "guide" and "friend."
            • who repeatedly declared that unlike Hispanics all blacks think alike. If you say it once you can always claim that you misspoke but old Joe doubled down and repeated this outrageous statement revealing this is what he really believes.
            • who described Obama thusly...

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man."

...thereby revealing that he thought that most other blacks were by definition unintelligible, ignorant and dirty. According to old Joe this was such an anomaly that it's "storybook."
            • who self-anointed himself as the arbitrator of who is and who isn't authentically black
            • who repeatedly lied about marching in the Civil Rights movement and bizarrely claimed he was jailed in South Africa for trying to visit Nelson Mandela when he was in prison.

Meanwhile the other choice was a guy who the left and MSM (a distinction without a difference) called a racist yet:
            Trump also openly used the N word. That would seem to Trump everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
              Oh boy, another agnostic declaring what evangelicals are supposed to think and do.
              Transparently so.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Well, ever since Trump lost tweb has been a strange and rather boring place filled with frustrated apologists going further and further off track in order to find any hope that Trump will make a triumphant return.

Anyway, it is worth remembering what, luckily, only worked for four years, namely a tragedy supported by people who like to identify themselves as Christians while ironically supporting the exact opposite.

And if anyone wants to see the criticism of evangelicals as being anti Christian hold on:

So this is what we are getting from a Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary graduate. This all supports the idea that many evangelicals are full of fear. The article goes on:

I read some of the stuff by Jones. It was not worth reading. He just came to despise Christianity, from what I can tell. There was nothing inherently wrong with voting for Trump. In both 2016 and 2020, he was the only real candidate available. We did not need more of the corruption of Hillary or Biden.

It seems that Frank also had a bad experience. Now he is looking to the demise of Christianity. I think this can happen if the Christian families are not balancing their doctrines and life properly.
                Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-24-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

I'm so scared, hug me.
                  Trump is supposed to have "appealed to white supremacy," yet got more minority support and less overall white support than he did in 2016. Yup, makes perfect sense.

Comment

If Chuck was alive in first century Israel, he would be wondering why that Jesus guy didn't try harder to get along with the Pharisees.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

Solid points, thanks for the quotes.

Comment

trump: Worst. Racist. Ever.

No matter what order you put the words in.............it does smack of the truth.
                        Last edited by thormas; 11-24-2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

Trump also openly used the N word. That would seem to Trump everything else.
                          Funny how the CLAIM he said it only appeared after 2016 whereas all the stuff about Biden can be proven beyond any doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Funny how the CLAIM he said it only appeared after 2016 whereas all the stuff about Biden can be proven beyond any doubt.
                            I mean, we have a named first party source claiming that he directly called her the N word. Isn't that the gold standard of evidence? https://www.thedailybeast.com/holly-...ity-apprentice

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

I mean, we have a named first party source claiming that he directly called her the N word. Isn't that the gold standard of evidence? https://www.thedailybeast.com/holly-...ity-apprentice
                              Easy to make a claim. We saw all sorts of claims made over the last four years that turned out to have not a whiff of truth to them. Those who made this claim say they have a recording of it yet that is the one thing they have never produced. Go figure.

Comment