Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The ethics of a hypothetical pre-natal screening for Homosexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Here I'll ask a different one. In the hypothetical, would you support legislation designed to interfere with parents being able to abort a child based on results of the hypothetical gay-detection pre-natal test. Interference could be banning the test, to outright denying abortion except for medical reasons if the test comes back positive.

If so, what?

This is a simple question...can you give a straight answer to it.
    At what point are you going to realize that you are not going to get a straight answer?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      At what point are you going to realize that you are not going to get a straight answer?
      Oh. I don't know...

Comment

S/he is not going to get a simplistic "yes/no" answer from me because there isn't one.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

S/he is not going to get a simplistic "yes/no" answer from me because there isn't one.
          It is a complex issue but you're not exactly even coming close to providing an answer. You've been more like orbiting it at great distance, sort of like Pluto orbiting the sun.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is a complex issue but you're not exactly even coming close to providing an answer. You've been more like orbiting it at great distance, sort of like Pluto orbiting the sun.
            I have briefly alluded to one or two of those issues and been accused of "dodging" etc.

That my interlocutor considers their request on this highly complex ethical subject to be a "simple yes/no question" indicates their over-simplified view of this matter.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I have briefly alluded to one or two of those issues and been accused of "dodging" etc.

That my interlocutor considers their request on this highly complex ethical subject to be a "simple yes/no question" indicates their over-simplified view of this matter.
              Here I'll ask a different one. In the hypothetical, would you support legislation designed to interfere with parents being able to abort a child based on results of the hypothetical gay-detection pre-natal test. Interference could be banning the test, to outright denying abortion except for medical reasons if the test comes back positive.

If so, what?

This is a simple question...can you give a straight answer to it.

Comment

The thing is, the issue is complex, but the answer isn't. It's like the question of "who are you going to vote for?". The reasoning used to come to the conclusion involves a number of conflicting priorities, and those priorities themselves can be quite complex. But, at the end of the day, the answer itself is very simple, candidate A or B (or c-g when you include third parties).

Comment

It seems she gave up on this game

Comment