Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The ethics of a hypothetical pre-natal screening for Homosexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, you are willing to tolerate the "genocidal" style actions in order to preserve abortion, even though it may result in a drastic reduction in the number of homsexuals in the world.
    Do you have issues with reading for comprehension? I ask because you have just ascribed to me an opinion I have never stated.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Do you have issues with reading for comprehension? I ask because you have just ascribed to me an opinion I have never stated.
      But you did. "There is nothing you can do" = "Tolerate".

You pin your hope on the culture changing, and if it doesn't (as sex preference hasn't in much of asia) then you are accepting that it's going to happen.

Comment

But you did. "There is nothing you can do" = "Tolerate".

You pin your hope on the culture changing, and if it doesn't (as sex preference hasn't in much of asia) then you are accepting that it's going to happen.
        No I didn't. A woman has the right to end a pregnancy and even without access to legal abortions women will still attempt to do so. That is a fact.

However, that does not equate with what you are contending, namely that in some wise I "tolerate" what I have referred to as "cosmetic" abortions.

There is a lot that can be done to change cultural attitudes but it is not going to be an overnight event. Patriarchal mores are deeply entrenched in most cultures as we regularly see in this microcosm.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Given how some who are deaf want to use such tests to try to have a deaf child, I can picture a lesbian couple trying to have a gay child and even aborting any who aren't
          Then again what you picture and reality are two very different things

Comment

Originally posted by Sherman View Post
            There is something that is being missed here. The whole premise of this argument is flawed. Homosexuality is a behavior. There is not any real proof that behavior is such is inherited anymore than tendency to steal or to lie. Environmental factors have more to do with shaping a person's behavior.
            Homosexuality is more than behavior it is an orientation that 'precedes' or is expressed in behavior.

But, of course it is unethical as it conditions parental love and the worthiness of a child on something that he or she has no culpability.

And for the Christians, it could not even be a consideration.

As for inherited vs. environmental, a friend in college was one of 8 kids and obviously the parents were in a heterosexual marriage. Raised in the same family although separated by a year or two or three and raised by the same people, 4 were heterosexual and 4 were homosexual.
            Last edited by thormas; 11-23-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

No I didn't. A woman has the right to end a pregnancy and even without access to legal abortions women will still attempt to do so. That is a fact.

However, that does not equate with what you are contending, namely that in some wise I "tolerate" what I have referred to as "cosmetic" abortions.

There is a lot that can be done to change cultural attitudes but it is not going to be an overnight event. Patriarchal mores are deeply entrenched in most cultures as we regularly see in this microcosm.
              So, what do you do about it when you don't "tolerate" it? I mean, when my kids do something I don't tolerate, they get talked to, they get punished, they have rules implemented, etc.

So, if people are doing things you don't "tolerate", what do you do about it?

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

Then again what you picture and reality are two very different things
                Of course I provided a precedent for very similar sort of behavior

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So, what do you do about it when you don't "tolerate" it? I mean, when my kids do something I don't tolerate, they get talked to, they get punished, they have rules implemented, etc.
                  That is not a particularly apt comparison.

So, if people are doing things you don't "tolerate", what do you do about it?
                  What things?
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Of course I provided a precedent for very similar sort of behavior
                    I saw that.......still the comment about the lesbian couple was your reality.

Comment

I saw that.......still the comment about the lesbian couple was your reality.
                      Not reality but possible scenario based on the sort of behavior exhibited in the example provided.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not reality but possible scenario based on the sort of behavior exhibited in the example provided.
                        Actually........you're projecting

Comment

Actually........you're projecting
                          Really? I'm hardly the first to ponder this.

Take a look at this paper Reproductive Rights and Reproductive Technology in 2030 written by John A. Robertson, who is the chair of the University of Texas Law School's Ethics Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine and published on on the website of what Time magazine described it as the "nation's pre-eminent liberal think tank," the Brookings Institute.

While not specifically talking about aborting a straight child it does support the "right" of gay parents to genetically test for and select a gay baby -- "to have a male child that shares their sexual orientation" -- with the implication that if the baby wasn't gay and doctors couldn't alter the baby's DNA to make it gay (yes, Robertson discusses that) then the parents could abort and try again.

Comment

That is not a particularly apt comparison.

What things?
                            Well, lets just assume we are talking about the topic of the thread, which you said is something you wouldn't tolerate.

Comment

The same as those for parents who abort on cultural/religious grounds because the child is the wrong sex.

Or couples who have a disability [as rogue06 cited] and who want their child[ren] to have the same disability. It's a form of designer baby and frankly rather unpleasant.

Deciding to abort a child with a recognised mental and/or physical disability is something quite different. Homosexuality is not a mental or physical disability that requires exceptional parental/social care [or being institutionalised] because the individual is unable to adequately fend for themselves.

We can grow up and go out into the world and be as successful [or not] as any of our hetero neighbours and/or friends.

Hawking couldn't fend for himself for several years...
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Hawking couldn't fend for himself for several years...
                                Neither could Christopher Reeve after his tragic accident. Your point?
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment