Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The ethics of a hypothetical pre-natal screening for Homosexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    This is exactly the sort of semantic nitpicking and gotcha games that makes having any form of discourse with you so irritating.
    You have already demonstrated the level of your abilities when it comes to engaging in a serious exchange.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Your OP asked “Is it ethical to screen for homosexuality in unborn?” In my first reply I wrote that the ethics were “The same as those for parents who abort on cultural/religious grounds because the child is the wrong sex.

In other words such a decision would be premised on existing cultural prejudices and nothing more.
      What I am addressing is the underlying rationale and motivation as to why parents do not want female [or in your hypothetical scenario] homosexual children.

That is a far more complex issue.

Of course it may transpire that having given due consideration to the situation, the woman decides, independently, that she wishes to terminate the pregnancy. I see nothing wrong with that because she has the right to control and determine what happens to her body.

However, in most such cases in the real world involving female embryos being aborted, more often than not women do not make such independent or considered decisions. The cultural prejudices within the society in which they live and that hold that females are inferior to males affect their decisions.

Now if you accept the fact that we already have screening to identify sex and that female embryos [in some cultures] are then regularly aborted, why should there be any ethical concern about screening for homosexuality which would also include the option to abort?

So you accept allowing parents to legally abort gay babies?

Plus I see you didn't admit you lied about there being no questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So you accept allowing parents to legally abort gay babies?
        I support a woman's right to control and determine what happens to her body.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        Plus I see you didn't admit you lied about there being no questions.
        I made the point that your question is a hypothetical when it comes to aborting embryos that are homosexual.

Hence your direct question has no answer because, as yet, it impossible to screen for homosexuality.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You have already demonstrated the level of your abilities when it comes to engaging in a serious exchange.
          Ironic coming from you.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I support a woman's right to control and determine what happens to her body.
            So you accept allowing parents to legally abort gay babies? (It's a simple yes/no question, no need to answer a different question like you just did).

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            I made the point that your question is a hypothetical when it comes to aborting embryos that are homosexual.

Hence your direct question has no answer because, as yet, it impossible to screen for homosexuality.
            No, you said (and I quote) " there is no question to answer because your scenario is hypothetical." But, there were questions, hence you lied. The fact that they were relating to a hypothetical situation doesn't make them any less a question.

Comment

So you accept allowing parents to legally abort gay babies? (It's a simple yes/no question, no need to answer a different question like you just did).
              I accept a woman's right to choose. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Abortion is never a simple "yes/no question" only an idiot [or a man] would think that. Abortion is a complex ethical decision. However, at the end of the day none of us can tell a woman what she should do with her own body. That decision lies entirely with her and her alone.

There are ethical questions but you do not want to address them . You want [as you have written] "simple yes/no" answers.

I am now thoroughly bored with this and am leaving you to enjoy some online gossip with your fellows who think as you do and prefer easy and simple "yes/no" answers to serious and complex matters.

"It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Ironic coming from you.
                I suspect that anyone who reads our respective prose can draw their own conclusions.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I accept a woman's right to choose. Is that so difficult to comprehend?

Abortion is never a simple "yes/no question" only an idiot [or a man] would think that. Abortion is a complex ethical decision. However, at the end of the day none of us can tell a woman what she should do with her own body. That decision lies entirely with her and her alone.

There are ethical questions but you do not want to address them . You want [as you have written] "simple yes/no" answers.

I am now thoroughly bored with this and am leaving you to enjoy some online gossip with your fellows who think as you do and prefer easy and simple "yes/no" answers to serious and complex matters.

Translation, you refuse to actually answer the question presented, and when pressed you run away. Got it.

Comment

Translation, you refuse to actually answer the question presented, and when pressed you run away. Got it.
                    Your continued inability to comprehend [or your intentional duplicity] is duly noted.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I suspect that anyone who reads our respective prose can draw their own conclusions.
                      Considering the number of folks both religious and non-religious, and from all sides of the political spectrum, that have called you out for your antics in the short time you've been here, you might want to rethink that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your continued inability to comprehend [or your intentional duplicity] is duly noted.
                        I belive the answer is YES, you accept the right of parents to abort gay fetuses. Got it.

Comment

Considering the number of folks both religious and non-religious, and from all sides of the political spectrum, that have called you out for your antics in the short time you've been here, you might want to rethink that.
                          Of my two non-religious protagonists one I definitely know from elsewhere and the other I suspect I know from elsewhere [if not the prose style and attitudes are remarkably similar]. If I am correct in that assumption then both those individuals are on the Libertarian and/or Right of the political spectrum.

The rest appear to be fundamentalist and/or evangelical religious believers.

However, I do often agree with more liberal and tolerant Christians on some topics.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I belive the answer is YES, you accept the right of parents to abort gay fetuses. Got it.
                            You are free to believe you have pink unicorns grazing on your lawn every full moon if it gives you comfort.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You are free to believe you have pink unicorns grazing on your lawn every full moon if it gives you comfort.
                              It's quite simple. You didn't answer the question, instead stating that the answer to a different question answers the one I gave. Therefore, if you don't like the inferences about the question asked, ANSWER THE QUESTION ASKED.

Comment

It's quite simple. You didn't answer the question, instead stating that the answer to a different question answers the one I gave. Therefore, if you don't like the inferences about the question asked, ANSWER THE QUESTION ASKED.
                                Hmm....block capitals the internet equivalent of "yelling"!

You wrote "I belive the answer is YES, you accept the right of parents to abort gay fetuses."

You are asking a question that cannot be answered. How can anyone accept the right to "abort gay fetuses" when it is impossible at present to know if a child [not a foetus] will be homosexual. As I observed earlier you may as well ask if parents have the right to abort foetuses that will develop into left-handed children.

What you are angling for is a "yes/no" answer to an incredibly complex ethical [and cultural] issue.

Find someone like yourself who inclines towards making assumptions and/or prefers simple and easy solutions to complex topics.

"It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment