Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Americans Happy About Trump Loss Than Biden Win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Americans Happy About Trump Loss Than Biden Win

Well here is a cheery note. From a poll taken by Monmouth University.

It appears that "Most confident that election was fair"

West Long Branch, NJ – A third of the country is “happy” that Donald Trump lost the election – which is slightly more than the one-quarter who feels the same about Joe Biden winning. The Monmouth (“Mon-muth”) University Poll also finds a majority of Americans are confident that the election was conducted fairly, although most Trump voters think Biden’s victory is due to voter fraud. In other poll findings, a majority of the public disapproves of how the incumbent is handling the presidential transition, with one-third saying the delay poses a major threat to national security. The president’s refusal to concede may also contribute to the fact that more than 4 in 10 Americans feel we need more information about the vote count before we can be certain of the election’s outcome.

Overall, just over half of the American public is either happy (34%) or satisfied (18%) about Trump’s defeat, while nearly 4 in 10 are dissatisfied (28%) or angry (10%). Likewise, just over half are either happy (25%) or satisfied (26%) about Biden’s victory, while just over 4 in 10 are dissatisfied (29%) or angry (15%). Among Biden voters, 57% say they are happy that their choice won, but even more (73%) are happy that Trump lost.

[...]

Among Trump voters, 26% are angry that the incumbent lost, but more (36%) are angry at the idea that Biden won. While 60% of Americans believe Biden won the election fair and square, 32% say he only won it due to voter fraud. Three-quarters (77%) of Trump backers say Biden’s win was due to fraud. Murray added, “The anger among Trump’s base is tied to a belief that the election was stolen.”

A majority (54%) of Americans believe we have enough information on the vote count to know who won the presidential election, but a sizable minority (44%) feel we, in fact, do not. Fully 88% of Trump voters believe we need to wait for more information on the count before we know for sure. They are joined by 38% of voters who backed a third party candidate or refused to reveal their vote choice and 46% of nonvoters. Just 4% of Biden supporters say more information is needed before we can be certain of the election’s outcome.

Most Americans are confident that the 2020 election was conducted fairly and accurately, including 44% who are very confident and 16% who are somewhat confident. The overall number of people who are confident about the election is similar to the 6 in 10 voters who felt this way before the election, but the number who are very confident now has nearly doubled from 24% in late September. There has also been a significant partisan shift in election confidence. Before the election, 55% of Republican voters expressed confidence in the process. That has dropped to just 22% now. In fact, a majority (61%) of Republicans are not at all confident in the election’s fairness and accuracy now. Only 13% expressed that sentiment in late September. Confidence in the election’s fairness went up among both independents (from 56% to 69%) and Democrats (from 68% to 90%) pre-election to post-election.

“It’s not unusual for backers on the losing side to take a while to accept the results. It is quite another thing for the defeated candidate to prolong that process by spreading groundless conspiracy theories. This is dangerous territory for the Republic’s stability,” said Murray.

Most Americans (61%) disapprove of how Trump is handling the presidential transition process. Just 31% approve. One in four (25%) Republicans join 67% of independents and 92% of Democrats in voicing disapproval of the incumbent’s behavior. One-third (35%) of the public feels the Trump administration’s delay of the transition process poses a major threat to national security. Another 26% say it poses a minor threat while 36% say the administration’s delay poses no threat to national security.

The Monmouth University Poll also finds Biden’s personal rating is slightly higher than Trump’s – which has been a fairly consistent trend over the past year. The Democrat’s rating stands at 44% favorable and 43% unfavorable, while the Republican’s rating is 40% favorable and 48% unfavorable.

The rest of the article can be found here https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-ins...oll_us_111820/
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

I think that is obvious considering there was absolutely no enthusiasm for Biden on the part of his voters (I can't really call them "supporters")

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I think that is obvious considering there was absolutely no enthusiasm for Biden on the part of his voters (I can't really call them "supporters")
      And the fact that down-ticket didn't produce the "blue wave" that they were expecting, even though Biden won. This heavily favors the fact that this election was about disliking Trump, not supporting the democrat's policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Three-quarters (77%) of Trump backers say Biden's win was due to fraud.
        18% of Canadians think that Biden won because of fraud. In my home province of Alberta, that percentage rises to approximately 40%, which is also equal to the percentage of Albertans who support Trump..

Have I mentioned before that Alberta is full of rednecks (of which I am one, incidentally).
        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

18% of Canadians think that Biden won because of fraud. In my home province of Alberta, that percentage rises to approximately 40%, which is also equal to the percentage of Albertans who support Trump..

Have I mentioned before that Alberta is full of rednecks (of which I am one, incidentally).
          No, I don't think you've used that particular racial slur to describe Albertan's since I've been here.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            It's also obvious considering how much antipathy there is for Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

No, I don't think you've used that particular racial slur to describe Albertan's since I've been here.
              He forgets I'm in Alberta. I don't see any rednecks. I see a lot of rural farm area, and, according to oxmixmudd, a whole bunch of less intelligent people because they are rural and not urban.

Yes, I'm offended by the redneck remark. Alberta is mostly conservative, so if that makes people redneck, I guess reep is right. On the other hand, The orange NDP, probably the party that reep supports (I'm not sure, but the liberal party is pretty much dead here) have based their ideology on the communist handbook. The capital city, Edmonton, is a wee bastion of orange in an ocean of blue conservatives.

So, communism or conservatism........................

I know where I stand.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Pollsters (ahem). Everyone should know better by now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/

polls.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Pollsters (ahem). Everyone should know better by now.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tion-forecast/

polls.jpg
                  For the record, fivethirtyeight is NOT a polling organization.

They build statistical models that use the polls (and some other underlying data such as economy, incumbency, etc.) But, since polls are fairly strong, their model will reflect what the polls are saying, but It's important to point out that their model gave Trump a much higher chance of winning than other models, and a 28% chance is not insignificant, that's more than 1 in 4 chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's also obvious considering how much antipathy there is for Trump.
                    True but a bunch of that was just being fed up with the constant bickering and more recently rioting and hoping that it will stop if Trump is no longer President.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

He forgets I'm in Alberta. I don't see any rednecks. I see a lot of rural farm area, and, according to oxmixmudd, a whole bunch of less intelligent people because they are rural and not urban.

Yes, I'm offended by the redneck remark. Alberta is mostly conservative, so if that makes people redneck, I guess reep is right. On the other hand, The orange NDP, probably the party that reep supports (I'm not sure, but the liberal party is pretty much dead here) have based their ideology on the communist handbook. The capital city, Edmonton, is a wee bastion of orange in an ocean of blue conservatives.

So, communism or conservatism........................

I know where I stand.
                      False dichotomy.

How about...

Democracy or Trump.......I prefer democracy.
                      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                        False dichotomy.

How about...

Democracy or Trump.......I prefer democracy.
                        Since I was referring to a Canadian province, my post stands. Try reading in context, eh?

We never had Trump up here. Instead, we have Little Pierre Trudeau, friend of China and Communism.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Since I was referring to a Canadian province, my post stands. Try reading in context, eh?

We never had Trump up here. Instead, we have Little Pierre Trudeau, friend of China and Communism.
                          Much rather Trudeau than Trump.
                          America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

I think he is running with how "polls" (cough) divide up the electorate down here. But the "less-educated-Trump-supporters" label that some snobs like to bandy about is obviously exaggerated, if not completely wrong.

1) People vote with their pocketbooks. People with outstanding student loans will likely support Democrats who offer to reduce, forgive, or restructure their loans. Republicans rarely (if ever) make that offer.
                            2) I have two nieces with Ph.Ds and both are Republican and support Trump. That anecdote alone tells me more than what any anonymous Internet poster might declare.
                            3) Judging by the behavior and language used by the Biden urbanites that burn and loot their cities, I can never be convinced that the less-educated are in the Trump camp. Thomas Sowell disagrees too.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                              Much rather Trudeau than Trump.
                              Great. We'll mail Little Pierre to you.

Comment