Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Argument format for the next 4 years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argument format for the next 4 years.

Figured I would put this together to save everyone time.

Conservative-ish poster: Democrats and Biden ran on being anti-trump, and fixing what his horribly unethical presdiency did to us. So why are they <insert unethical act/behavior here>.

Liberal-ish poster: Lol, you guys supported Trump, you have no room to complain about what we do.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
    Figured I would put this together to save everyone time.

Conservative-ish poster: Democrats and Biden ran on being anti-trump, and fixing what his horribly unethical presdiency did to us. So why are they <insert minor unethical act/behavior here, or more likely some conservative fake-news/conspiracy theory talking point based on the usual right-right misinformation, at best a transparent false equivalence with the last 4 years>.

Liberal-ish poster: Lol, you guys supported Trump, you have no room to complain about what we do.
    Fixed it for you.

And yes, basically. Having spent 4 years excusing or defending Trump, you lot now have no ethical or moral leg to stand on. I'm not sure if you've all quite realised that yet - for the sake of some conservative judges and a last hurrah for bigotry on the main stage, you've thrown your self-professed values down the toilet. Don't hate us for merely pointing out your rank hypocrisy.

If Ox were to point out a flaw or issue with the Biden administration I'd take him seriously, as he's stuck with his morals throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Fixed it for you.

And yes, basically. Having spent 4 years excusing or defending Trump, you lot now have no ethical or moral leg to stand on. I'm not sure if you've all quite realised that yet - for the sake of some conservative judges and a last hurrah for bigotry on the main stage, you've thrown your self-professed values down the toilet. Don't hate us for merely pointing out your rank hypocrisy.

If Ox were to point out a flaw or issue with the Biden administration I'd take him seriously, as he's stuck with his morals throughout.
      The point here is that liberal-ish posters will ignore any unethical behavior, and simply point out "trump was worse" as an excuse to not actually address it. Tu Quoque is a fallacy for a reason. Not having the moral high-ground does not render unethical behavior ethical or ignorable.

It's similar to the same hypocritical behavior about unethical but legal actions.

If a conservative does them, the liberal-ish argument focuses on how it's unethical/bad.
      If a liberal-ish does it, the liberal-ish argument focuses on how it's legal, and the ethics are ignored.

Comment

The point here is that liberal-ish posters will ignore any unethical behavior, and simply point out "trump was worse" as an excuse to not actually address it. Tu Quoque is a fallacy for a reason. Not having the moral high-ground does not render unethical behavior ethical or ignorable.

It's similar to the same hypocritical behavior about unethical but legal actions.

If a conservative does them, the liberal-ish argument focuses on how it's unethical/bad.
        If a liberal-ish does it, the liberal-ish argument focuses on how it's legal, and the ethics are ignored.
        *shrug* Biden is a centrist granddad, and I'm already unsure about some of his cabinet & staff nominees - but that was to be expected as he isn't really progressive, and neither is Harris. I have no issue calling out any wrong-doing from his administration were some to crop up in the next 4 years.

Still doesn't mean anyone has to take seriously the pearl-clutching mewlings of people who defended and excused the last 4 years and now suddenly pretend to find a conscience now 'the other guy' is in. Any republicans or conservatives who also called out Trumps disgusting behaviour over the last 4 years are welcome to join me and others in holding Biden to account - which is how it should happen.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

*shrug* Biden is a centrist granddad, and I'm already unsure about some of his cabinet & staff nominees - but that was to be expected as he isn't really progressive, and neither is Harris. I have no issue calling out any wrong-doing from his administration were some to crop up in the next 4 years.

Still doesn't mean anyone has to take seriously the pearl-clutching mewlings of people who defended and excused the last 4 years and now suddenly pretend to find a conscience now 'the other guy' is in. Any republicans or conservatives who also called out Trumps disgusting behaviour over the last 4 years are welcome to join me and others in holding Biden to account - which is how it should happen.
          So, on the other foot, liberal-ish's shouldn't be taken seriously if republicans in the senate start endless investigations into Biden, right?

Comment

So, on the other foot, liberal-ish's shouldn't be taken seriously if republicans in the senate start endless investigations into Biden, right?
            You mean if an anonymous tip about a Biden phone call comes in it should start impeachment proceedings? Yes.

I think Biden should be investigated for criminal activity every time he rolls out of bed. Turnabout is fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

You mean if an anonymous tip about a Biden phone call comes in it should start impeachment proceedings? Yes.

I think Biden should be investigated for criminal activity every time he rolls out of bed. Turnabout is fair play.
              They could try but President Biden can’t be indicted while in office and he can also order anyone subpoenaed to just ignore it. He also can obstruct any investigations and order everyone involved to do the same. Biden can just ignore any investigations and do his job.

Comment

Not unless and until the Republicans take back the House.

They can investigate if they want. Biden can cooperate if he wants. As you say, turnabout is fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Not unless and until the Republicans take back the House.
                  Trump was investigated by the FBI before he ever took office. And apparently afterwards, too.

Comment

Trump was investigated by the FBI before he ever took office. And apparently afterwards, too.
                    My comment was that Republicans can't start impeachment proceedings until they take back the House.

The DOJ can investigate Biden if they think there is good reason to, like if he interferes with an investigation.

Comment