Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI Releases 2019 Hate Crime Stats - Hate Crimes Increased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Releases 2019 Hate Crime Stats - Hate Crimes Increased

Disclaimer, I don't think hate crimes should be a thing. But, our government currently had decided that they should, and it's always interesting to look at the details, especially when we see various on the left accuse white people, etc., of hate crimes, of Trump stoking hate crimes, etc..

So we see here from the far leftist SPLC, that the stats indicate that hate crime has increased from 2018 to 2019, with hate murders increasing the most.

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2020/...s-more-doubled
    Continuing a trend in the Trump era, reported hate crimes across America rose by 3% in 2019 – to 7,314, the highest number recorded since 2008, according to the FBI’s annual Hate Crime Statistics report, released today.

The report, which includes both violent attacks and nonviolent hate crimes such as vandalism, documented 51 hate crime murders. That was the most recorded since the FBI began collecting this data in 1991 and more than double the 24 recorded last year – previously the highest documented figure.

Like every year, race-based hate crimes were the most numerous, the vast majority directed at Black people. Anti-Hispanic hate crimes increased for the fourth straight year – to 527, a 9 percent increase and the highest since 2010. Reported crimes directed against Jews and Jewish institutions increased 14%, to the highest figure since 2008. Hate crimes against LGBTQ people also went up, including an 18% increase in crimes against the transgender community, the highest since the FBI began collecting this specific data in 2013.

It’s important to note that, because of the nature of hate crime reporting, the FBI’s annual report vastly understates the real level of hate crimes in the country.

Local and state law enforcement agencies are not required by law to report hate crime data to the FBI. In addition, many hate crimes go unreported because of inadequate training and a lack of trust between law enforcement and the communities they police. Previous Department of Justice studies estimate that an average of 250,000 people are victimized by hate crimes each year.

Enacted in 1990, the Hate Crime Statistics Act (HCSA) requires the Department of Justice to publish an annual report on the number of hate crimes collected by the nation’s more than 18,000 federal, state, city, university and tribal law enforcement agencies.

For the 2019 report,15,588 law enforcement agencies participated in the collection effort. However, only 2,172 of these agencies – less than 14% percent – reported one or more hate crimes. Every other agency, including more than 80 cities with populations over 100,000, affirmatively reported zero (0) hate crimes or did not report any data to the FBI at all.

Though the report undercounts the nation’s hate crimes, it does document large trends, including how and against whom hate crimes are perpetrated.

Recent increases in hate crime reflect a growing threat of violence from the extreme right, one that the Department of Homeland Security acknowledged in its Homeland Threat Assessment released in October. White supremacist terrorists, the report noted, pose the largest domestic terror threat in the United States. Because of their attacks, 2019 was the “most lethal year for domestic violent extremism in the United States since the Oklahoma City bombing in 1995.”

Many of today’s white power activists venerate Timothy McVeigh, who committed the 1995 bombing and encourage others to carry out similar attacks. This is the strategy of “accelerationists,” who believe that violence is the only political tool at their disposal. For a growing segment of the white power movement, violence isn’t only a way to inflict harm on groups they deem inferior but a strategy to alert other white people to the perceived dangers of immigration, racial integration and the decline of white people as a percentage of the American population. Attacks like the one at an El Paso Walmart – which accounted for 22 of the 51 hate crime murders in 2019 – are meant to spur further violent action.

Anti-Hispanic hatred is an inherent part of white power ideology, which was captured in the manifesto of the accused El Paso shooter. He claimed the attack was a response to the “Hispanic invasion of Texas” and alluded to the “Great Replacement” – one of the conspiracy theories central to white nationalist ideology. White people, white supremacists claim, are being systematically replaced across the Western world through immigration and intermarriage. Proponents of the racist theory often insist that this “replacement” is being orchestrated by Jews, an idea expressed in the manifesto linked to the man accused in the attack on a synagogue in Poway, California, that left one person dead and three injured on April 27, 2019. The alleged attacker has been charged with 54 violations of the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act.

These racist ideas are not a political anomaly but rather the most extreme outgrowth of a white supremacist political culture. That racism, anti-Hispanic sentiment, antisemitism, and homophobia remain pressing problems in the U.S. is reflected in the 2019 hate crime increases.

Hate-based attacks have coincided with growth in the white nationalist movement. According to the SPLC’s research, the number of white nationalist hate groups grew by 55% between 2017 and 2019.
    We see in the first sentence they immediately try to make a Trump link, and as one reads throughout, they emphasize black and hispanic Americans are targets, and then go into a rant about whites and white supremacy/white nationalism.

So let's take a look at the source: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...ime-statistics

More specifically, let's go take a look at the stats on offenders (people who commit the hate crimes).

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/...ages/offenders
    By race, ethnicity, and age (Based on Table 9.)

Race

In 2019, race was reported for 6,406 known hate crime offenders. Of these offenders:
    • 52.5 percent were White.
    • 23.9 percent were Black or African American.
    • 6.6 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (group of multiple races).
    • 1.1 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native.
    • 0.9 percent (58 offenders) were Asian.
    • 0.3 percent (22 offenders) were Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander.
    • 14.6 percent were unknown.
    Very interesting. Very, very interesting.

So Black/African Americans account for 23.9% of hate crime offenders. But they only make up around 13.5% of the population. That's nearing close to double what one would expect given the population makeup of the country.

Now let's look at whites. They account for 52.5% of hate crime offenders. But Whites make up around 60.7% of the population. So they are actually under-represented from what we would expect given the population makeup. And FAR underrepresented from what we would expect given the leftist dialogue about how evil whites are doing all these hate crimes.

Very interesting to see the real story the numbers tell, as opposed to the one that the left wishes to force upon us.

EDIT: actually, looking at those numbers again, I realize they didn't include hispanics (they appear to count them later as an ethnicity) as a separate group there, meaning the White category there INCLUDES hispanics and not just non-hispanic whites. So that means that it's closer to 70 percent (of the population being responsible for 52.5 percent, not 60.7 percent of the population accounting for that. So even more underrepresented.
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 11-16-2020, 09:56 AM.

The Southern Poverty Law Center is itself a hate group.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The Southern Poverty Law Center is itself a hate group.
      Indeed.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yes the Southern Poverty Law Center. The same Southern Poverty Law Center which was unceremoniously dropped by the FBI's Hate Crime Web page as a source.

The same Southern Poverty Law Center which branded the Family Research Council, a mainstream conservative think tank founded by James Dobson a "hate group" on par with Aryan Nations, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Stormfront and the Westboro Baptist Church.

In the latter case SPLC's designation led directly to an armed gunman, Floyd Corkins II, entering FRC's Washington D.C. headquarters in 2012 and opening fire. Fortunately nobody was killed although a security guard was wounded before wrestling Corkins to the ground and disarming him.

Corkins, a gay activist who volunteered at a LGBT community center, told the FBI agent interviewing him that he picked the FRC to attack because they were on the SPLC's list of anti-gay "hate groups."

The SPLC strenuously defended their actions because, get this, the FRC takes a political stance that they disagree with. That was enough to earn them being listed as a hate group. Meanwhile groups like Black Lives Matter chant things like "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon!" and "What do we want? Dead cops!" at their protests but the SPLC sees nothing wrong with that and even say they are merely "activists for racial justice." This is one of the reasons why the SPLC has lost credibility including among many liberals.

The Southern Poverty Law Center only call those they disagree with politically a hate group.

I noted how the FBI dumped them but they aren't the only ones. In 2014, the Pentagon declared that they were eliminating all information on hate groups provided by the SPLC but would still use them in "non-federal reference material" for the Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI). Then in 2017 Brian J. Field, assistant U.S. attorney from the Civil Division announced that the Department of Defense's Office of Diversity Management and Equal Opportunity has removed any and all references to the SPLC in training materials used by the DEOMI.

This was a year after the Department of Justice's Executive Office for Immigration Review reprimanded the SPLC for accusing the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) of being a racist hate group. The SPLC ignored the rebuke and continued calling FAIR a hate group.

To illustrate just how far out of touch with reality that the SPLC really is they list the 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting by Omar Mateen the most deadly Islamic terror attack since 9/11, along with the shootings of police officers by black anti-white radicals as "right-wing" plots.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they end up proclaiming that the bogus attack on Jussie Smollett a right wing plot as well.

Further Reading:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
        Disclaimer, I don't think hate crimes should be a thing. But, our government currently had decided that they should, and it's always interesting to look at the details, especially when we see various on the left accuse white people, etc., of hate crimes, of Trump stoking hate crimes, etc..

So we see here from the far leftist SPLC, that the stats indicate that hate crime has increased from 2018 to 2019, with hate murders increasing the most.

https://www.splcenter.org/news/2020/...s-more-doubled

We see in the first sentence they immediately try to make a Trump link, and as one reads throughout, they emphasize black and hispanic Americans are targets, and then go into a rant about whites and white supremacy/white nationalism.

So let's take a look at the source: https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...ime-statistics

More specifically, let's go take a look at the stats on offenders (people who commit the hate crimes).

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2019/...ages/offenders

Very interesting. Very, very interesting.

So Black/African Americans account for 23.9% of hate crime offenders. But they only make up around 13.5% of the population. That's nearing close to double what one would expect given the population makeup of the country.

Now let's look at whites. They account for 52.5% of hate crime offenders. But Whites make up around 60.7% of the population. So they are actually under-represented from what we would expect given the population makeup. And FAR underrepresented from what we would expect given the leftist dialogue about how evil whites are doing all these hate crimes.

Very interesting to see the real story the numbers tell, as opposed to the one that the left wishes to force upon us.

EDIT: actually, looking at those numbers again, I realize they didn't include hispanics (they appear to count them later as an ethnicity) as a separate group there, meaning the White category there INCLUDES hispanics and not just non-hispanic whites. So that means that it's closer to 70 percent (of the population being responsible for 52.5 percent, not 60.7 percent of the population accounting for that. So even more underrepresented.
        The reality is I just don't trust the numbers. The FBI admits that there is an undercount. More importantly, I don't think the undercount is equally distributed. I believe the count of hate crimes against whites is probably woefully undercounted compared to others.

I say that because when you look at how people dismiss, diminish, hide, cover, explain, or rationalize clear incidents of bias/racism against white people, it's impossible to believe that the mindset that creates that behavior, doesn't also impact how people see bias attacks against white people.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/are-white-people-jokes-racist-let-fellow-white-person-explain-ncna899981

Thus, white people getting mad — or publicly performing anger, at least — about white people jokes is actually white people getting mad about threats to white power. Threats like a woman of color joining the editorial board of the New York Times after telling smarter and funnier jokes than them on Twitter. Racism is a mechanism of maintaining an imbalance of power -- making it literally impossible, by definition, to be racist against white people, or to tell a racist joke about a white person.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The reality is I just don't trust the numbers. The FBI admits that there is an undercount. More importantly, I don't think the undercount is equally distributed. I believe the count of hate crimes against whites is probably woefully undercounted compared to others.

I say that because when you look at how people dismiss, diminish, hide, cover, explain, or rationalize clear incidents of bias/racism against white people, it's impossible to believe that the mindset that creates that behavior, doesn't also impact how people see bias attacks against white people.
          Uh-huh. How convenient. Yes, there's an 'undercount' and magically it will not make blacks overrepresented (despite the fact that they're overrepresented in most other crimes as well so this would be nothing new). Riiiight.

Source: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/are-white-people-jokes-racist-let-fellow-white-person-explain-ncna899981

Thus, white people getting mad — or publicly performing anger, at least — about white people jokes is actually white people getting mad about threats to white power. Threats like a woman of color joining the editorial board of the New York Times after telling smarter and funnier jokes than them on Twitter. Racism is a mechanism of maintaining an imbalance of power -- making it literally impossible, by definition, to be racist against white people, or to tell a racist joke about a white person.

© Copyright Original Source

what is 'publicly performing anger'? What does this ramble even mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
            Uh-huh. How convenient. Yes, there's an 'undercount' and magically it will not make blacks overrepresented (despite the fact that they're overrepresented in most other crimes as well so this would be nothing new). Riiiight.

what is 'publicly performing anger'? What does this ramble even mean?
            Gond,
            Nothing I said went counter to your numbers. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that the undercount (that the FBI uses) is skewing the numbers, and when people say white victims are a tiny percentage, I think the undercount is much larger for white victims than black victims. I then explained why I think hate crimes against whites are probably more undercounted than others, because people excuse biased behavior against whites, which that "ramble" was an example of.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Gond,
              Nothing I said went counter to your numbers. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that the undercount (that the FBI uses) is skewing the numbers, and when people say white victims are a tiny percentage, I think the undercount is much larger for white victims than black victims. I then explained why I think hate crimes against whites are probably more undercounted than others, because people excuse biased behavior against whites, which that "ramble" was an example of.
              Okay, fair enough, I did take what you were saying a different way than you apparently meant it. Apologies.

Comment