Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Active duty military voters flagged as fraudulent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Anything the Democrats may have done in the past is irrelevant to the post as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather focus on this individual action. Let's please keep on subject.
    This mess wouldn't have happened if the Dems didn't try to rig the election. Because of that, now everything is in limbo and has be questioned and reexamined to verify its legitimacy via legal proceedings

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

The text of the letter actually directly accuses the voters of "criminal voter fraud", while listing the specific addresses, so it appears to be rather more than a pre-emptive warning.

https://twitter.com/RileySnyder/stat...24098391732225
      It also says the potential fraud was cross referenced against the National Change of Address database. If a military member files a legal change of address, they are no longer legally at the former address and are not legally allowed to vote there. That's why I never filed one for permanent residence at the base I served.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

It also says the potential fraud was cross referenced against the National Change of Address database. If a military member files a legal change of address, they are no longer legally at the former address and are not legally allowed to vote there. That's why I never filed one for permanent residence at the base I served.
        I was under the impression that it just changes their mailing address.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          From the article in the OP:

"In my role as chairman of the National Defense Committee, I reached out to the campaign and the Republican National Committee. I believe that these military voters were included in the complaint mistakenly, and I believe a modified complaint will be filed to redact this," Bob Carey told the news outlet.

So basically out of over 3,000 votes a hundred or so were mistakenly from military voters. The story here is that rather than focus on the over 2500 votes who were legitimately on the list, the MSM wants to focus on a few that were mistakenly on the list.
          I think you are allowed to be a resident of Nevada and have a mailing address in another state, at least temporarily, even if you aren't a member of the military.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think you are allowed to be a resident of Nevada and have a mailing address in another state, at least temporarily, even if you aren't a member of the military.
            For the Military, it's pretty convoluted... Things changed a bit after I retired. The Dec. 31, 2018 amendment to the Military Spouse Residency Relief ACT (MSRRA) changed the way off-post living affected voting registration.

https://www.fvap.gov/military-voter/voting-residence

Service Members

You may only have one legal voting residence at a time.

Service members, your voting residence should be within the state listed on your Leave and Earnings Statement, which defines your state for withholding state taxes.

Don't confuse voting residence with home of record. Your home of record is the place you lived when you entered the military. It does not change while you are on active duty. Your voting residence may be the same as your home of record but needs to be updated if and when you decide to establish a new state of legal residence.

Your state of legal residence is not automatically changed when you are assigned to a new duty location.

It may be changed with your approval by submitting the appropriate paperwork to your finance officer. However, you should first consult legal counsel.

You can choose to establish residency or domicile each time you are transferred to a new location. Once you change your residence or domicile, you may not revert to a previous residence without re-establishing a new physical presence according to residency laws of that state.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

For the Military, it's pretty convoluted... Things changed a bit after I retired. The Dec. 31, 2018 amendment to the Military Spouse Residency Relief ACT (MSRRA) changed the way off-post living affected voting registration.

https://www.fvap.gov/military-voter/voting-residence

Service Members

You may only have one legal voting residence at a time.

Service members, your voting residence should be within the state listed on your Leave and Earnings Statement, which defines your state for withholding state taxes.

Don't confuse voting residence with home of record. Your home of record is the place you lived when you entered the military. It does not change while you are on active duty. Your voting residence may be the same as your home of record but needs to be updated if and when you decide to establish a new state of legal residence.

Your state of legal residence is not automatically changed when you are assigned to a new duty location.

It may be changed with your approval by submitting the appropriate paperwork to your finance officer. However, you should first consult legal counsel.

You can choose to establish residency or domicile each time you are transferred to a new location. Once you change your residence or domicile, you may not revert to a previous residence without re-establishing a new physical presence according to residency laws of that state.
              Here is what I found about how "state of legal residence" is established. Nothing in there about "change of address".

Comment

Here is what I found about how "state of legal residence" is established. Nothing in there about "change of address".
                Again, change of address can accompany a change in home of record (State of Legal Residence) if you move off post. The note to Barr indicates that these changes of address "appear to have" cast improper ballots. Investigation is necessary for them. Even the military ballots because changing SoLR is an option for them.
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Again, change of address can accompany a change in home of record (State of Legal Residence) if you move off post.
                  As the link I provided shows, "home of record" has a different meaning from "state of legal residence", and doesn't change until the member leaves military service.

The note to Barr indicates that these changes of address "appear to have" cast improper ballots. Investigation is necessary for them. Even the military ballots because changing SoLR is an option for them.
                  It would be fair to investigate whether people who have out of state mailing addresses are still Nevada residents. But absent evidence that they are not Nevada residents, there is no reason to disrupt this election.

Comment

As the link I provided shows, "home of record" has a different meaning from "state of legal residence", and doesn't change until the member leaves military service.
                    Or declares their current residence as their home. My old supervisor in Omaha bought a house in La Vista 2 years before he retired. Our job was very limited in places we could do it, so he was stuck there in Omaha. Once he bought his house, he was required by the state of Nebraska to change his state of legal residence to Nebraska from Texas.

It would be fair to investigate whether people who have out of state mailing addresses are still Nevada residents. But absent evidence that they are not Nevada residents, there is no reason to disrupt this election.
                    I think The GOP dropped the Nevada suits.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Or declares their current residence as their home. My old supervisor in Omaha bought a house in La Vista 2 years before he retired. Our job was very limited in places we could do it, so he was stuck there in Omaha. Once he bought his house, he was required by the state of Nebraska to change his state of legal residence to Nebraska from Texas.
                      It may be hard to argue that you are planning on returning to Texas when you retire if you buy a house in another state only 2 years before that. If it had been much longer before retirement (and it was after 2003), he would probably have been protected by the Service Member’s Civil Relief Act (SCRA) of 2003.

I think The GOP dropped the Nevada suits.
                      Good to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

It's not the best we have.

Why is everyone in such a hurry? Even if Bad Orange Man decides he has no chance of winning the Presidency, he should pursue litigation fully. There are demonstrable cases of fraud, and of unconstitutional rulings. For the good of the nation, we should make our best effort to root those things out and punish them.
                        How many constitutional rulings were there? All the cases of fraud and attempted fraud were small vote counts, and involved both parties. Where is the wide spread fraud that would impact the election?
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

How many constitutional rulings were there? All the cases of fraud and attempted fraud were small vote counts, and involved both parties. Where is the wide spread fraud that would impact the election?
                          There *may* not be widespread fraud. I want the investigations to continue sufficiently to establish that. I don't care how small were the numbers affected. I want them pursued and punished.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It's not the best we have.

Why is everyone in such a hurry? Even if Bad Orange Man decides he has no chance of winning the Presidency, he should pursue litigation fully. There are demonstrable cases of fraud, and of unconstitutional rulings. For the good of the nation, we should make our best effort to root those things out and punish them.
                            No, there really aren't (demonstrable case of fraud). It's all nonsense spawned by Trump throwing a tantrum and his followers blindly agreeing without concern for any evidence. For the good of the nation Trump should concede and admit that the election was fine. He won't, of course, because he's never given a rat's arse about the country - or anything but himself.
                            America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

This mess wouldn't have happened if the Dems didn't try to rig the election. Because of that, now everything is in limbo and has be questioned and reexamined to verify its legitimacy via legal proceedings
                              The Dems didn't try to rig the election. Everything is being questioned because of Trump's lies and the blind obedience of his followers.
                              America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

There *may* not be widespread fraud. I want the investigations to continue sufficiently to establish that. I don't care how small were the numbers affected. I want them pursued and punished.
                                See new post concerning ALL election officials agree no fraud. I said 'significant' because technically there are minimal small instances of fraud and attempts at fraud by both Republicans and Democrats.
                                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment