Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Carpe's Civics Musings

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

Of course I am worried about the perception. And the reality of the cause is not debatable, AFAICT, because we lack the data on which to have that debate. That is why I said your assumption is simply unsustainable.

Please provide an example of these "false facts." I've been following the stories pretty closely, and most of the "false facts" I see are arising from right-leaning sources.

Agreed - if they are actually "false facts" instead of simply "facts I don't want to hear." I will be interested in your list of these "false facts."
    If you're clueless about which false facts I'm referring to, then that's all I need to know you're not really interested in truth and facts about the matter, or seeing all sides of it. If you were, you'd know exactly what I'm referring to. I typically make it a must to know all the facts about a cause I passionately take up, especially on social media where I'll likely face opposition and debate. IOW, you're just a another typical white liberal phony unconcerned about the actual facts, over just taking up trendy black causes to virtue signal how much you're not a racist on social media.

I am OK with people having to navigate a higher degree of animosity if it is inevitable if we are to get to a place of lower animosity. History tells us that no struggle against injustice comes without resistance and animosity, but that the goal is worth the struggle..
    Alrighty then.
    Last edited by seanD; 11-21-2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
      If you're clueless about which false facts I'm referring to, then that's all I need to know you're not really interested in truth and facts about the matter, or seeing all sides of it. If you were, you'd know exactly what I'm referring to.
      Why are you dodging this question? It's a fairly simple one. You apparently have a list of false facts that is being promoted by some people with a left-leaning political view. I'd be interested to know which "facts" you find to be false. There are a lot of claims being made by a lot of people. I have no idea which of these you are referring to.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      I typically make it a must to know all the facts about a cause I passionately take up, especially on social media where I'll likely face opposition and debate.
      We share that in common, though I usually enter a discussion/debate assuming I'm going to learn some new things. I try not to assume I know everything about any given topic.

IOW, you're just a another typical white liberal phony unconcerned about the actual facts, over just taking up trendy black causes to virtue signal how much you're not a racist on social media.
      I find it odd that you need to continually return to ad homs. You sound very angry. Is there a particular reason for the anger (assuming you are)?

Alrighty then.
      Does that mean we are in agreement on this point?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

Why are you dodging this question? It's a fairly simple one. You apparently have a list of false facts that is being promoted by some people with a left-leaning political view. I'd be interested to know which "facts" you find to be false. There are a lot of claims being made by a lot of people. I have no idea which of these you are referring to.

We share that in common, though I usually enter a discussion/debate assuming I'm going to learn some new things. I try not to assume I know everything about any given topic.

I find it odd that you need to continually return to ad homs. You sound very angry. Is there a particular reason for the anger (assuming you are)?

Does that mean we are in agreement on this point?
        It's not an ad hominem attack. It's my actual belief based on observation of white liberals. Instead of actually solving the problem of black disparity (evident by how ignorant they are about certain facts of the issue), they're more interested in virtue signalling on social media. A lot of them (probably most) are racist themselves and because they're uncomfortable with it they unwittingly project it, and oftentimes this is ridiculously obvious. I tend to not put you in the latter category since you've adopted black children (though according to some liberals, adopting black children doesn't automatically exclude you from being racist). I'm angry because, aside the fact this critical race theory BS is focusing on the wrong issue and how to address it, the lies are creating animosity and rifts between races in this country. This adversely affects us all, but it will affect minorities more so in the long term.

Since you keep fragmenting my posts and can't respond with a coherent argument without doing that, I'm probably done here.

Comment

• From today's musings:

I feel I have been railing against the powers that be for a while now, so I'd like to try something a bit different and share a story I just came across. It has to do with the infamous "Black Power" salute that Tommie Smith and John Carlos executed when standing on the winners block at the 1968 Summer Olympics. Smith had won the gold and Carlos the bronze for the 200-meter dash. They were protesting the treatment of black athletes everywhere. As with many other members of the black community who have found themselves in the spotlight and "holding the mike" for a few moments, they chose to use that time to make a statement about an injustice to which they wanted to call attention. They later called the salute a "human rights salute," not just a black power salute. Much of their appearance that day was specifically designed to convey a message, from their shoeless feet to the open jacket to the OPHR patch they wore on their jackets.

The choice cost them dearly. They were ejected from the games. They were vilified at home. They received death threats. Within the ranks of sports, they fared somewhat better and were even made offers by the NFL. Over time, the hero status they held in sports spread and they became symbols of the broader civil rights movement. In 2005, their alma mater (San Jose State University) deployed a statue in their honor. When I saw the statue, I noted that the position held by the silver medal winner on the statue was empty.

That made me curious about this winner. His name is Peter Norman. He was not just the silver winner, he also explicitly stood in solidarity with Smith and Carlos, and it cost him dearly back in Australia, essentially ending his career in track. He was the one who suggested the two men share the set of gloves, which is why the power salute was done with opposite hands. He also wore the OPHR patch. He explicitly did NOT salute because he felt the moment belonged to the two black athletes. And he has been largely forgotten to history.

When I read how he had stood with his black sports-mates, and suffered for it, the fact that he was intentionally omitted from the statue just made me angry. Are you feeling that right now?

Because then I read "the rest of the story."

Peter Norman was explicitly asked if he wanted to be included, and requested that his position on the statue be left empty. His reason? So that anyone who wanted to stand in that space in solidarity with the two black athletes would be able to do so.

If that is not in the true spirit of solidarity, and humility, I don't know what is. It made me tear up a little.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...k-power-statue
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Moderated By: Bill the Cat

I have closed this thread. I didn't make myself clear. That's my fault. This is not a blog. No linking to personal sites. Threads are for one topic. While I realize they frequently veer off course, the point remains. We have rules about blogging. Blogging in a thread makes it nigh impossible to follow a discussion. Of you wish to discuss multiple ideas, please start a separate thread for them, but please avoid flooding the forum with new threads that get forgotten before they age.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment