Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What will Trump do between now and January 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
    So whatever law gives the President the power to issue pardons doesn't exempt the President from receiving the pardon?
    The pardon power is granted by the Constitution, which states: "he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."

A strict reading of it would mean that the president can pardon himself of any federal crime (not state crimes, though) outside of the situation of being impeached for it.

But given that he won't get prosecuted (and possibly convicted) for anything until after he leaves the Presidency...he won't be President then to pardon himself, right?

Hope these aren't dumb questions - I'm just not sure how it would work.
    Pardons are apparently regarded as being so plenary as to allow you to pardon someone against offenses someone has not been convicted of, as Ford did with Nixon after the latter resigned. I don't think the scope of pardoning has ever been formally ruled on by a high court, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Trump fires Defense Secretary Mark Esper
      “The irony is that the president derided him as ‘Mark Yesper’ and the reason that he got fired is that he wasn’t,” said Eric Edelman, a former top Pentagon official under President George W. Bush. “It’s mean-spirited vengeance and vindictiveness, and he’s doing it because he can.”

Trump administration removes head of federal climate program that oversees key reports
      Scientist leading U.S. Global Change Research Program is reassigned
      Kuperberg’s removal “seems quite consistent with decisions at NOAA and elsewhere,” said Kathy Jacobs, who is director of the Center for Climate Adaptation Science and Solutions at the University of Arizona and ran the Third National Climate Assessment. “[It’s] a last-minute attempt to remove people who may not be perceived as supporting the president’s agenda.”

It also occurs against the backdrop of the removal of several government officials at the White House’s request, including a senior official at the U.S. Agency for International Development, the director of the National Nuclear Security Administration and Monday’s firing of Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper.

Wuebbles and Jacobs said they did not understand why the administration would dismiss Kuperberg now.

“I can only speculate they want to see if they can manipulate the Fifth National Climate Assessment before the next administration comes in,” Wuebbles said. “Why they want to do that, I don’t understand.”

Jacobs said any damage done by removing Kuperberg could be reversed by the Biden administration.

“I would be more concerned if Trump had won the election,” she said. “If USGCRP is rudderless for a few months, I don’t consider that a devastating situation. The question is: What are they going to do in the interim?”

The toddler-in-chief is going to continue his lame duck melt-down.
      As I said, scorched earth is what will describe what he will do. He has also refused to release the paperwork that releases government funds and access for the transition, which means that the government - the longer that remains the case - is in danger of being insufficiently prepared on inauguration day.

Once again, Donald Trump puts himself ahead of the security and well being of the nation.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment