Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden Declared Winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Michigan is still in disarray. At first canvassers in Wayne County split their decision on whether or not to certify the results, then the two Republican members changed their vote after being threatened and coerced for two hours, and then they signed affidavits saying that they had been threatened and coerced and that they wish to stand by their original decision that the results should be not certified.

https://www.breitbart.com/2020-elect...higan-results/
    They said they wish to stand by their original decision that the results should not be certified, after at least one of them got a phone call from Trump. But there is no mechanism for them to rescind their votes.

So the only effect is that Trump's supporters will get a little more riled up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

...there is no mechanism for them to rescind their votes.
      I doubt that is entirely true since they voted once in a split decision, and then after being publicly threatened and coerced for two hours, the Republican members were forced to vote again, so obviously, votes aren't final.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        I know I have not vilified true science. I keep bringing up the science and the data which shows the cure to be worse than the disease.
        I cannot say I've seen you do that. Can you link the posts where you believe you have provided the science? I have to admit I have my doubts since I have not seen that "data" offered anywhere.

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        However, people hold to the pseudo science promoted by the mainstream media.
        Can you be specific about what "pseudo science" you are referring to here.

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        When this pseudo science has no benefits, people from all political persuasions start rejecting the efforts by government to try this again. It is amazing that the governments blindly do this. Actually, it is normal for governments to impose things to make people think "the government is trying."
        Your view of "government" is far more jaundiced than mine. People are most likely "covid-tired" for the same reason I am: it's been 9 months and there is no end in sight. No matter how much half of us want to get this under control, the refusal of the other half to take simple precautions dooms this pandemic to continue sickening and killing Americans in large numbers until we have a vaccine. At this point, my expectation is another quarter million will die before that happens. As an American concerned about my country, that number depresses me and makes me wish I could do something. Unfortunately, all I can do is follow best practices to avoid infection and reduce the chance I will infect someone else. It's a drop in the ocean.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          When the left turned a blind eye toward the protests, riots and looting that swept across our country even going so far as to declare that social justice was more important than social distancing they lost all moral authority to lecture others.
          I'm not aware of "the left" being a unified group that thinks and acts with one mind. Indeed, pretty much every person I know who leans left spoke against the violence and rioting, spoke in defense of the peaceful protesters, and advocated for social justice. So I'm not sure exactly who this "left" is that you are talking about.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post

I'm not aware of "the left" being a unified group that thinks and acts with one mind. Indeed, pretty much every person I know who leans left spoke against the violence and rioting, spoke in defense of the peaceful protesters, and advocated for social justice. So I'm not sure exactly who this "left" is that you are talking about.
            In this case the leadership who told police to stand down and let the looters loot and rioters riot while (vainly) trying to convince the American people that it wasn't happening.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I doubt that is entirely true since they voted once in a split decision, and then after being publicly threatened and coerced for two hours, the Republican members were forced to vote again, so obviously, votes aren't final.
              Deadlocked votes aren't final, anyway...

Comment

The GOP and political right?

What about the months of widespread rioting, looting, arson, and murder that has been committed by liberals and to which the Democrats have not had one word of condemnation?
                As usual, hyperbole and superlatives are almost always untrue. "Not one word" is patently false; many Democrats have spoken against the violence and rioting, and in support of the peaceful demonstrators.

I realize that the new mantra from so many on the right is "repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth," but that is not correct. All that happens is that many begin to be sucked into the lie and perceive it as truth. The truth itself does not change. No matter how many times you make this claim, it does not make all of the times people have spoken against the violence cease to exist. All it does it suck more and more people into the lie.

I would thing a person who considers themselves Christian, and for whom "God is truth" is probably a closely held concept, a greater dedication to the truth would be manifest.

Comment

• This is the kind of thing I find so duplicitous of the GOP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...614_story.html

In a nutshell, the discrepancies, which account for less than 500 votes in all of Michigan, are actually smaller in number and affect fewer precincts (by half) in 2020 than they did in 2016 when Trump won by a much narrower margin. There was no objection then, bit now that he has lost, it's suddenly a big deal.

The Democrats are not 100% innocent either. They complained loudly about irregularities back then are are fine with them now. The difference is, back then, they requested a recount and then conceded the election.

Trump continues to rail on this, unable to face the specter of his own loss. Or maybe it's that he wants to extend the length of time that he can fleece his own supporters of their money? Or maybe he's keeping the headlines alive as long possible, knowing that once the Biden administration gets rolling, his bully pulpit will be diminished?

Whatever his reasons, his ridiculous, evidence-less legal onslaught is showing every sign of going nowhere, and making him look ridiculous in the process. No matter how much he and his minions attempt to cloak this in the veneer of "protecting the election," the naked attempt to subvert the American election is evident to anyone with eyes, and without the bias of a cult-fetish.

Comment