Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and Bannon censored on Twitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump and Bannon censored on Twitter

Lots of activity on Twitter over the last few days. Since election night, Trump has had 13 of his tweets flagged because they contain misleading information. Steve Bannon has been permanently banned by twitter for saying that Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Ray should be executed, beheaded, and their heads placed on pikes on the White House lawn, as a warning to any federal government employees who criticize Donald Trump. Bannon is now calling for Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to be arrested for suppressing Trump's tweets.

An exciting time to be an American...

On an unrelated matter, Greta Thunberg is apparently familiar with the Klingon expression "revenge is a dish best served cold". She waited almost a year to respond to Trump's tweet where he ridiculed her when she was declared Time Magazine's "Person of the Year". Her tweet:

So ridiculous. Trump must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill, Donald, Chill!

Her tweet is a word-for-word repeat of what Trump said about her back in December 2019.
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
    Lots of activity on Twitter over the last few days. Since election night, Trump has had 13 of his tweets flagged because they contain misleading information. Steve Bannon has been permanently banned by twitter for saying that Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Ray should be executed, beheaded, and their heads placed on pikes on the White House lawn, as a warning to any federal government employees who criticize Donald Trump. Bannon is now calling for Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey to be arrested for suppressing Trump's tweets.

On an unrelated matter, Greta Thunberg is apparently familiar with the Klingon expression "revenge is a dish best served cold". She waited almost a year to respond to Trump's tweet where he ridiculed her when she was declared Time Magazine's "Person of the Year". Her tweet:

So ridiculous. Trump must work on his Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill, Donald, Chill!

Her tweet is a word-for-word repeat of what Trump said about her back in December 2019.
    That can't be true. I've been told that private companies can't "censor" anyone. That it's only the government that can "censor".

Comment

Yay for censorship!

9780141036144.jpg

Comment

Yeah Twitter is digging it's own grave it seems.

Comment

I expect that this is true of at least some, maybe all 13 of Trump's tweets. But Jack Dorsey nor his cronies are not the ones I would trust as fair arbitrators of "misleading information" from anyone.

The Bannon part... eh. It sounds like typical political rhetoric, rather than actual threats. But if Twitter was banning such language consistently (lol) then it's reasonable to take it as threats. Twitter is incredibly hypocritical about its policies, though, and it is a good day when they face any legal or public scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

That can't be true. I've been told that private companies can't "censor" anyone. That it's only the government that can "censor".
            IMO, they can't - so long as there is no collaboration and no monopoly. The first has been established and the second nearly exists.

Comment

Indeed exciting but many of us could use a lot less excitement:+}

Comment

Originally posted by LeaC View Post

I expect that this is true of at least some, maybe all 13 of Trump's tweets. But Jack Dorsey nor his cronies are not the ones I would trust as fair arbitrators of "misleading information" from anyone.

The Bannon part... eh. It sounds like typical political rhetoric, rather than actual threats. But if Twitter was banning such language consistently (lol) then it's reasonable to take it as threats. Twitter is incredibly hypocritical about its policies, though, and it is a good day when they face any legal or public scrutiny.
                But Bannons rhetoric or threats are over the top and should be censored.............or banned

Comment

Twitter is counting on Trump losing. Then I bet they will ban his account. If Trump wins, they will be in the dog house for sure.

Comment

Like in the ancient movie ‘Ghost’ the dark shadows are coming to gobble him up. That’s why he’s trying to hang on.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Twitter is counting on Trump losing. Then I bet they will ban his account. If Trump wins, they will be in the dog house for sure.
                      They've announced several times that because he is the President and thus what he has to say is of more than normal interest to everybody, the normal rules don't apply to him or his tweets. If he loses the Presidency, then I would think they would start applying the normal rules to him and if he runs afoul of them he might well find himself banned.

However, if Trump wins, I fail to see why Twitter will be in the dog house.
                      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Well, ah . . . yes private companies can censor the content of their posts, nor can they be forced to post things they refuse to post, and they have done so in the past. Trump's statements as national leader have been terribly false, inflammatory, and inspires extreme right violence.
                        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Bannon really is crazy.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Trump has been active on twitter again today. Five of his seven tweets have been flagged as containing false or misleading information.

His first four tweets of the day, all of which were flagged, are part of the same "mega-tweet" which I reproduce below:

Tens of thousands of votes were illegally received after 8 P.M. on Tuesday, Election Day, totally and easily changing the results in Pennsylvania and certain other razor thin states. As a separate matter, hundreds of thousands of Votes were illegally not allowed to be OBSERVED. This would ALSO change the Election result in numerous States, including Pennsylvania, which everyone thought was easily won on Election Night, only to see a massive lead disappear, without anyone being allowed to OBSERVE, for long intervals of time, what the happened...bad things took place during those hours where LEGAL TRANSPARENCY was viciously & crudely not allowed. Tractors blocked doors & windows were covered with thick cardboard so that observers could not see into the count rooms. BAD THINGS HAPPENED INSIDE. BIG CHANGES TOOK PLACE! People were screaming STOP THE COUNT & WE DEMAND TRANSPARENCY (As Legal Observers were refused admittance to count rooms)!
                            "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                            "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                              They've announced several times that because he is the President and thus what he has to say is of more than normal interest to everybody, the normal rules don't apply to him or his tweets. If he loses the Presidency, then I would think they would start applying the normal rules to him and if he runs afoul of them he might well find himself banned.

However, if Trump wins, I fail to see why Twitter will be in the dog house.
                              Because they are basically daring Trump to remove their section 230 protection from being held reliable for content that others post, or declaring them a communications company like the phone company, which would allow the government to make them unable to censor content. How would you like it if the phone company listened in on your calls and censored views they didn't agree with?

Comment