Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

November 4 has come and gone and Covid-19 still hasn't disappeared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 4 has come and gone and Covid-19 still hasn't disappeared

Coronavirus cases exceed 100,000 in one day for the first time, even as the nation is split on the pandemic vs. the economy
    The coronavirus pandemic reached a dire milestone Wednesday when the number of new U.S. infections topped 100,000 in one day for the first time, continuing a resurgence that showed no sign of slowing.

The pandemic is roaring across the Midwest and Plains states. Seven states set records for hospitalizations for covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. And Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska and North Dakota saw jumps of more than 45 percent in their seven-day rolling average of new infections, considered the best measure of the spread of the virus.

The record, 104,004 cases, was reached a day after the deeply divided nation went to the polls to choose between President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden, an election widely seen as a choice between fully reopening the economy and aggressively quelling the outbreak.

Because of course it hasn't.

It's a virus. Its spread depends on contacts, not politics, or religion. Assume you're infected, my friends. Wear your masks. There are vaccines on the way. We can do this.

Best wishes, J

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Coronavirus cases exceed 100,000 in one day for the first time, even as the nation is split on the pandemic vs. the economy
    The coronavirus pandemic reached a dire milestone Wednesday when the number of new U.S. infections topped 100,000 in one day for the first time, continuing a resurgence that showed no sign of slowing.

The pandemic is roaring across the Midwest and Plains states. Seven states set records for hospitalizations for covid-19, the disease caused by the virus. And Connecticut, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska and North Dakota saw jumps of more than 45 percent in their seven-day rolling average of new infections, considered the best measure of the spread of the virus.

The record, 104,004 cases, was reached a day after the deeply divided nation went to the polls to choose between President Trump and Democratic nominee Joe Biden, an election widely seen as a choice between fully reopening the economy and aggressively quelling the outbreak.

Because of course it hasn't.

It's a virus. Its spread depends on contacts, not politics, or religion. Assume you're infected, my friends. Wear your masks. There are vaccines on the way. We can do this.

Best wishes, J
    Duh. I doubt most people expected it to simply vanish. Though I do expect coverage to change, but not yet.

1. Trumps still president. Negative coverage of the virus has to continue until he's out of office. Otherwise he gets credit when stuff turns around.
    2. The virus coverage isn't going to be a light switch, it's going to be a mood light with a dimmer. I.E. Coverage isn't going to simply go away, however the tone will quickly shift from doom/gloom to hopeful and then quickly fade away.

Think of it the same way that the coverage between Kavanaugh's sexual assault accusation and Biden's happened. The tone of the media, and the amount of time it was covered were drastically different, with Ford getting sympathy and credibility, and the news being played non-stop. Whereas Read was immediately cast in an unsympathetic and doubtful light, and then the coverage was nearly non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Think of it the same way that ...
      Don't think of it as a politician, calculating consequences for your preferred political priorities or candidates in your home country. Think of it as a scientist looking at a global disease, a deadly virus that we can examine and treat and inhibit as we've done with countless other diseases, from polio to HIV, to the seasonal flu, for that matter.

Think of the advice you would give to the general public while studying the disease and working on a vaccine. Think about how to let them know what you're finding, and how you've identified the things they can do to help inhibit the spread, to reduce the strain on health care workers and facilities, and to minimize the consequences.

Keep it simple.

The virus spreads most readily from infected persons who are not displaying symptoms. So let people know they're at risk of spreading the disease even if they don't feel sick. Remind them that the advice they learned as children, to cover their faces when they cough or sneeze is still valid. And because speaking, and especially speaking forcefully, or singing, increases the risk of sharing the virus, ask everyone to wear a mask when they're close to others, at least until the infection rate has begun to decline.

Tell them the infection rate is not declining. Tell them the infection rate is increasing.

Tell them to wear their masks.

Stay safe out there, CD.

Comment

Don't think of it as a politician, calculating consequences for your preferred political priorities or candidates in your home country. Think of it as a scientist looking at a global disease, a deadly virus that we can examine and treat and inhibit as we've done with countless other diseases, from polio to HIV, to the seasonal flu, for that matter.

Think of the advice you would give to the general public while studying the disease and working on a vaccine. Think about how to let them know what you're finding, and how you've identified the things they can do to help inhibit the spread, to reduce the strain on health care workers and facilities, and to minimize the consequences.

Keep it simple.

The virus spreads most readily from infected persons who are not displaying symptoms. So let people know they're at risk of spreading the disease even if they don't feel sick. Remind them that the advice they learned as children, to cover their faces when they cough or sneeze is still valid. And because speaking, and especially speaking forcefully, or singing, increases the risk of sharing the virus, ask everyone to wear a mask when they're close to others, at least until the infection rate has begun to decline.

Tell them the infection rate is not declining. Tell them the infection rate is increasing.

Tell them to wear their masks.

Stay safe out there, CD.
        The problem is when the experts seem to change their opinions based on the politics. See the following from the NYT.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/us/Epidemiologists-coronavirus-protests-quarantine.html

“The way the public health narrative around coronavirus has reversed itself overnight seems an awful lot like … politicizing science,” the essayist and journalist Thomas Chatterton Williams wrote in The Guardian last month. “What are we to make of such whiplash-inducing messaging?”

Of course, there are differences: A distinct majority of George Floyd protesters wore masks in many cities, even if they often crowded too close together. By contrast, many anti-lockdown protesters refused to wear masks — and their rallying cry ran directly contrary to public health officials’ instructions.

And in practical terms, no team of epidemiologists could have stopped the waves of impassioned protesters, any more than they could have blocked the anti-lockdown protests.

Still, the divergence in their own reactions left some of the country’s prominent epidemiologists wrestling with deeper questions of morality, responsibility and risk.

Catherine Troisi, an infectious-disease epidemiologist at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, studies Covid-19. When, wearing a mask and standing at the edge of a great swell of people, she attended a recent protest in Houston supporting Mr. Floyd, a sense of contradiction tugged at her.

“I certainly condemned the anti-lockdown protests at the time, and I’m not condemning the protests now, and I struggle with that,” Dr. Troisi said. “I have a hard time articulating why that is OK.”

Mark Lurie, a professor of epidemiology at Brown University, described a similar struggle.

“Instinctively, many of us in public health feel a strong desire to act against accumulated generations of racial injustice,” Dr. Lurie said. “But we have to be honest: A few weeks before, we were criticizing protesters for arguing to open up the economy and saying that was dangerous behavior.

“I am still grappling with that.”

To which Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health, added: “Do I worry that mass protests will fuel more cases? Yes, I do. But a dam broke, and there’s no stopping that.”

Some public health scientists publicly waved off the conflicted feelings of their colleagues, saying the country now confronts a stark moral choice. The letter signed by more than 1,300 epidemiologists and health workers urged Americans to adopt a “consciously anti-racist” stance and framed the difference between the anti-lockdown demonstrators and the protesters in moral, ideological and racial terms.

Those who protested stay-at-home orders were “rooted in white nationalism and run contrary to respect for Black lives,” the letter stated.

By contrast, it said, those protesting systemic racism “must be supported.”

“As public health advocates,” they stated, “we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for Covid-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health.”

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

It sure hasn't disappeared from the EU...
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            It sure hasn't disappeared from the EU...
            True, but if it was an election the USA would with three times over.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

True, but if it was an election the USA would with three times over.
              For now. They just delayed the inevitable.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Utah governor declares emergency, issues mask mandate: ‘We cannot afford to debate this issue’
                For months, even as coronavirus cases have dramatically risen in his state, Utah Gov. Gary R. Herbert (R) has refused to order residents to wear a mask. But on Sunday, after the state’s worst week yet and amid fears that hospitals could soon be overwhelmed, he reversed course.

In a video posted to Twitter late on Sunday — which Utah residents were alerted to watch via an emergency cellphone alert — Herbert also declared a two-week state of emergency and announced a spate of other restrictions aimed to curb infections, which the governor noted are “growing at an alarming rate.”

“Our hospitals are full,” Herbert said in the clip. “This threatens patients who rely on hospital care from everything from covid-19 to emergencies like heart attacks, strokes, surgeries and trauma. We must work together to keep infections low until a vaccine is available.”

It's time for Americans to come together on common sense measures to support public health.

Comment

I think next that we should be checking for how many people have runny noses. Let's start at the hospitals with people who come in for heart surgery. After that we can start doing checks of people who voluntarily come into the test station. Wow. The number of runny-nose cases just has increased.

Next we will push for everyone to get checked for runny noses. Wow. Another 10% increase occurs in runny nose cases. Next we will send out contact tracers who will go and check more people for runny noses. Hey. Another 20% increase. We just keep seeing the number of runny-nose cases increasing.

This is just spreading like a wildfire.

Sorry about this view but the treatment of this covid-19 thing has just been an international circus being run by a bunch of clowns. The number of cases is a meaningless. At best it just shows that you cannot stop the spread of something that does not harshly affect most people.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-09-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    I think next ...
                    Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. Please post all of your next thoughts elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. Please post all of your next thoughts elsewhere.
                      Thanks Indeed. They are worthy of being posted all over the place. We have to expose the junk the CDC feeds us. There is nothing like naming something right away as the novel coronavirus so that they can claim all these new behaviors never seen before -- even before anyone should have known anything about the virus. At some point, the weird info we are told about this just becomes to weird for most people to trust the junk anymore.
                      Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-09-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks Indeed. They are worthy of being posted all over the place.
                        I will back up my manure spreader and you can load them up.

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

I will back up my manure spreader and you can load them up.
                          If I find any manure, I will get it to you. Now we know something you like.

Comment

I think next that we should be checking for how many people have runny noses. Let's start at the hospitals with people who come in for heart surgery. After that we can start doing checks of people who voluntarily come into the test station. Wow. The number of runny-nose cases just has increased.

Next we will push for everyone to get checked for runny noses. Wow. Another 10% increase occurs in runny nose cases. Next we will send out contact tracers who will go and check more people for runny noses. Hey. Another 20% increase. We just keep seeing the number of runny-nose cases increasing.

This is just spreading like a wildfire.
                            Runny noses don't fill up our hospitals to the point where people can't get good healthcare.

Sorry about this view but the treatment of this covid-19 thing has just been an international circus being run by a bunch of clowns. The number of cases is a meaningless. At best it just shows that you cannot stop the spread of something that does not harshly affect most people.
                            The number of cases is meaningful because too many cases mean too many hospitalizations, and then a lot of deaths due to a lack of decent healthcare.

Also, a certain percentage of cases are going to become fatalities. That percentage may not be as high as it was in the beginning of the pandemic, but it's still above one percent. And without decent healthcare, it would be a lot higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                              Runny noses don't fill up our hospitals to the point where people can't get good healthcare.

The number of cases is meaningful because too many cases mean too many hospitalizations, and then a lot of deaths due to a lack of decent healthcare.

Also, a certain percentage of cases are going to become fatalities. That percentage may not be as high as it was in the beginning of the pandemic, but it's still above one percent. And without decent healthcare, it would be a lot higher.
                              I'm sorry that you are not able to understand abstract concepts. That will make it difficult to understand actual situations.

Comment