Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A scary sentiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Do you think electing Biden (Harris) will make this situation better or worse?
    I think it won't make a difference to how the situation changes. We give too much omnipotence to the office of president. On social issues like this, the president tends to be behind the change curve instead of leading it.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I think it won't make a difference to how the situation changes. We give too much omnipotence to the office of president. On social issues like this, the president tends to be behind the change curve instead of leading it.
      True, and the "change curve" was dramatically moving left even before Trump. It had been moving left for years, decades even, but for some reason accelerated under Trump. If it got this crazy with Trump serving as at least some sort of political opposition to it, imagine what it be like now. No brakes whatsoever.

Comment

True, and the "change curve" was dramatically moving left even before Trump. It had been moving left for years, decades even, but for some reason accelerated under Trump. If it got this crazy with Trump serving as at least some sort of political opposition to it, imagine what it be like now. No brakes whatsoever.
        Same thing happened under George W. Bush. Maybe having an opposition makes them more aggressive?
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Same thing happened under George W. Bush. Maybe having an opposition makes them more aggressive?
          No way. Leftism progressivism insanity wasn't happening under Bush like it's happening now. Not even close. No year has been like 2020, at least in my lifetime. But putting leftist progressivism aside, just consider the pandemic alone. Pandemic's not going to go away because Biden's in the WH. You saw how the Dem governors and mayors acted under Trump. How do you think they'll act now with a direct ally in the WH, especially if that ally federally mandates a lot of this stuff? They're going to go into turbo mode, and don't expect the do-nothing senators to resist when the fearmongering about rising cases is shoved down our throats.

Comment

Do you think electing Biden (Harris) will make this situation better or worse?
            I doubt there will be any impact. Democrats will consider winning the Presidency to be a political mandate for their ill-considered policies, even though the election was more of a referendum on Trump himself than the liberal versus conservative divide. The GOP is going to be sorting out some identity issues between the Never Trumpers and the ones who've spent four years licking Trump's boots while he urinated on half of the principles our country used to collectively hold dear. The hardcore Trump supporters should take this referendum for what it is -- a rejection of Trump's style and substance. Those who personally loved his style and substance are on notice that the the country dislikes it enough to unseat an incumbent president -- a pretty rare occurrence.

Meanwhile, everyone is still busy flaming each other like we hate each other's guts. I increasingly feel like there aren't any adults in the room during political discourse, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
            "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post

I doubt there will be any impact. Democrats will consider winning the Presidency to be a political mandate for their ill-considered policies, even though the election was more of a referendum on Trump himself than the liberal versus conservative divide. The GOP is going to be sorting out some identity issues between the Never Trumpers and the ones who've spent four years licking Trump's boots while he urinated on half of the principles our country used to collectively hold dear. The hardcore Trump supporters should take this referendum for what it is -- a rejection of Trump's style and substance. Those who personally loved his style and substance are on notice that the the country dislikes it enough to unseat an incumbent president -- a pretty rare occurrence.

Meanwhile, everyone is still busy flaming each other like we hate each other's guts. I increasingly feel like there aren't any adults in the room during political discourse, and I don't see that changing any time soon.
              You forget there's still a pandemic. You don't mention that anywhere in your post. Everyone in this thread seems to forget that. Do you think Biden won't initiate policy based on that? Do you think the Dem governors and mayors will stop sending police to arrest folks that don't comply with their shutdown mandates because Biden's now in office? Do you think BLM will stop demonstrating and rioting every time a black person is killed and stop making demands for their leftist polices? Do you think Biden will ignore BLM and their demands like Trump did? You don't mention any of those topics currently happening in the context of "I doubt there will be any impact."

Comment

Another very scary sentiment:

Source: https://apnews.com/article/incendiary-texts-traced-election-2020-340f4c7d57cbd3d4e178fb13a15f274c

Incendiary texts traced to outfit run by top Trump aide

By FRANK BAJAK and GARANCE BURKE

BOSTON (AP) — A texting company run by one of President Donald Trump’s top campaign officials sent out thousands of targeted, anonymous text messages urging supporters to rally where votes were being counted in Philadelphia on Thursday, falsely claiming Democrats were trying to steal the presidential election.

The messages directed Trump fans to converge at a downtown intersection where hundreds of protesters from the opposing candidates’ camps faced off Thursday afternoon. Pennsylvania is a crucial battleground state where former Vice President Joe Biden’s jumped ahead Friday and in a televised address later predicted a victory that would give him the presidency.

“This kind of message is playing with fire, and we are very lucky that it does not seem to have driven more conflict,” said John Scott-Railton, senior researcher at the University of Toronto’s online watchdog Citizen Lab. Scott-Railton helped track down the source.

The texts were sent using phone numbers leased to the text-messaging platform Opn Sesame, said two people familiar with the matter who spoke on condition they not be further identified. The company’s CEO is Gary Coby, the Trump campaign’s digital director. It provides text-messaging services to GOP clients including the Republican National Committee.

“ALERT: Radical Liberals & Dems are trying to steal this election from Trump! We need YOU!” the text said, directing recipients to “show your support” on a street corner near the Philadelphia Convention Center where votes were being counted and tensions were running high.

A top Trump campaign official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the message did not come from the campaign. Because Opn Sesame is used by multiple customers, none of whom the company would identify, it could not be determined exactly who sent the message. Coby declined to comment.

Opn Sesame’s connection with the messages was first reported by The Washington Post.

Among those who received the rallying text was Chris Bray, who lives in rural Bucks County, about 25 miles outside Philadelphia.

A registered Independent who said he voted for Biden, Bray said he was very surprised to see the message pop up on his phone since he never signed up for anything related to the Trump campaign.

“I actually texted a number of other friends to say ‘hey, have you guys been getting robo-texts like this?’” Bray said Friday. “It was a call to action. It borders on that the rhetoric that we’ve been hearing for months now and that’s really dangerous if you get the right people together with a slight screw loose, we just don’t know what can happen.”

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Source: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arkansas-police-chief-resigns-after-social-media-posts-calling-for-death-to-all-democrats

Arkansas police chief resigns after social media posts calling for ‘death to all’ Democrats

ByAustin Williams

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - A police chief in the rural city of Marshall, Arkansas has resigned following posts on social media in which he allegedly called for “Death to all Marxist Democrats.”

KNWA reported that Officer Lang Holland posted on Parler, a website that describes itself as “free speech social media focused on protecting user’s rights.”

According to screenshots taken from KNWA reporters, Holland wrote, “Take no prisoners leave no survivors!” and “Throw water on them in restaurants. Push them off sidewalks.”

The posts eventually circulated on Facebook and Twitter Friday before being taken down, according to KNWA.

KNWA reported that Holland allegedly belongs to two alt-right Facebook groups: “The Patriots” and “Ozark Proud Boys.”

The Marshall Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but the city’s mayor, Kevin Elliott, posted a statement on the city’s Facebook page.

“The City of Marshall strongly condemns the actions of Mr. Holland in his posts to social media,” the statement read. “His remarks in no way reflect City Government or the people of Marshall Arkansas.”

“In response to Mr. Holland’s remarks, I, Kevin Elliot as the Mayor of the City of Marshall consulted with the attorneys for legal advice concerning these social media posts. Upon my meeting with Mr. Holland he resigned as Police Chief for the City of Marshall effective immediately.”

The police department’s Facebook page has been deactivated.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Congratulations youve done two whataboutisms that fail to even address the same concept being talked about. You should be proud

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                      Congratulations youve done two whataboutisms that fail to even address the same concept being talked about. You should be proud
                      The subject was scary sentiments, and what I posted are very scary sentiments that are well documented.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

The subject was scary sentiments, and what I posted are very scary sentiments that are well documented.
                        No, it was about a scary sentiment (punishing people for speech). I guess if you actually read the topic for understanding you would have a better grasp of that. As neither of your topics covered that, all you did was throw out a red herring. Also, since your most common tactic is to troll, I kindly ask you to stop posting on this thread.

Comment

You forget there's still a pandemic. You don't mention that anywhere in your post. Everyone in this thread seems to forget that. Do you think Biden won't initiate policy based on that? Do you think the Dem governors and mayors will stop sending police to arrest folks that don't comply with their shutdown mandates because Biden's now in office? Do you think BLM will stop demonstrating and rioting every time a black person is killed and stop making demands for their leftist polices? Do you think Biden will ignore BLM and their demands like Trump did? You don't mention any of those topics currently happening in the context of "I doubt there will be any impact."
                          I haven't forgotten it, I just don't see it making a big difference. For one, I work in law enforcement in a state with Democratic governor. Multiple counties in our area have sheriffs that have publicly announced they will not enforce mask mandates or the mass gathering limits on churches. The state doesn't have the law enforcement resources to actually enforce the executive orders. Specifically, we had a business in our jurisdiction openly defying the governor's closure order. Our agency's response was that basically we would write a ticket and if they stay open after that, it's on them. We've "enforced" the law, but not in a way that would cause political unrest in our community. The consequence is that, effectively, the governor's order is simply just not enforced. I do think the pandemic contributed to Trump's getting voted out -- because of the economy and what many perceive as his bumbling, ineffective response to the pandemic.

I don't think the BLM protests will be resolved any time soon. That crowd is intent on seeing problem that either doesn't exist, or grossly exaggerating the problem for their own ends. Their beliefs on this matter are so deep-seated and sacrosanct at this point, I have no idea how to convince them otherwise. My only guess is that logic and reason will be place less of a role than trying to somehow build a sense of trust and respect before trying to find a path forward.

My main hope is that the GOP retains control in the senate, allowing them to blunt the crazy stuff the left will be trying to do.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Another very scary sentiment:

Source: https://apnews.com/article/incendiary-texts-traced-election-2020-340f4c7d57cbd3d4e178fb13a15f274c

Incendiary texts traced to outfit run by top Trump aide

By FRANK BAJAK and GARANCE BURKE

BOSTON (AP) — A texting company run by one of President Donald Trump’s top campaign officials sent out thousands of targeted, anonymous text messages urging supporters to rally where votes were being counted in Philadelphia on Thursday, falsely claiming Democrats were trying to steal the presidential election.

The messages directed Trump fans to converge at a downtown intersection where hundreds of protesters from the opposing candidates’ camps faced off Thursday afternoon. Pennsylvania is a crucial battleground state where former Vice President Joe Biden’s jumped ahead Friday and in a televised address later predicted a victory that would give him the presidency.

“This kind of message is playing with fire, and we are very lucky that it does not seem to have driven more conflict,” said John Scott-Railton, senior researcher at the University of Toronto’s online watchdog Citizen Lab. Scott-Railton helped track down the source.

The texts were sent using phone numbers leased to the text-messaging platform Opn Sesame, said two people familiar with the matter who spoke on condition they not be further identified. The company’s CEO is Gary Coby, the Trump campaign’s digital director. It provides text-messaging services to GOP clients including the Republican National Committee.

“ALERT: Radical Liberals & Dems are trying to steal this election from Trump! We need YOU!” the text said, directing recipients to “show your support” on a street corner near the Philadelphia Convention Center where votes were being counted and tensions were running high.

A top Trump campaign official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the message did not come from the campaign. Because Opn Sesame is used by multiple customers, none of whom the company would identify, it could not be determined exactly who sent the message. Coby declined to comment.

Opn Sesame’s connection with the messages was first reported by The Washington Post.

Among those who received the rallying text was Chris Bray, who lives in rural Bucks County, about 25 miles outside Philadelphia.

A registered Independent who said he voted for Biden, Bray said he was very surprised to see the message pop up on his phone since he never signed up for anything related to the Trump campaign.

“I actually texted a number of other friends to say ‘hey, have you guys been getting robo-texts like this?’” Bray said Friday. “It was a call to action. It borders on that the rhetoric that we’ve been hearing for months now and that’s really dangerous if you get the right people together with a slight screw loose, we just don’t know what can happen.”

Nothing in the provided quote is "incendiary," except the authors' own OPINION that the senders were making "false" claims.

Therefore, your post constitutes Fake News.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment