Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A scary sentiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scary sentiment

Here is a tweet from an anti-trumper about the homedepot co-founder saying he's voting for trump:

https://twitter.com/chipfranklin/sta...104809475?s=20

(bolding mine)
    Would you do me a quick favor and please comment with #BoycottHomeDepot to get this trending? I want to make sure the co-founder of Home Depot, Bernie Marcus, pays for saying that Trump deserves a second term.
    Read this carefully, the normal excuses for boycotting over speech aren't here. This isn't choosing to spend your money elsewhere. This is a deliberate effort to punish someone because you didn't like their speech.

It is reprehensible that you would want to punish someone over their expression of free speech.

I refuse to shop at Home Depot because of an incident with a rental trailer several years ago when their lack of maintenance caused a wheel to shear off as we were driving, and they tried to stick us with a fraudulent $25,000 repair bill, but that's a whole other story.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I refuse to shop at Home Depot because of an incident with a rental trailer several years ago when their lack of maintenance caused a wheel to shear off as we were driving, and they tried to stick us with a fraudulent $25,000 repair bill, but that's a whole other story.
      I tend to go with lowes, mainly because I get a 10% veterans discount there.

However, the sentiment that someone should "pay" for their speech is a scary concept. It's one that democrats have been doing for ages, but most of the time they try to euphemize it as simply choosing to spend money where their values are aligned. This sort of raw "make them pay" concept is a bit more honest.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        Here is a tweet from an anti-trumper about the homedepot co-founder saying he's voting for trump:

(bolding mine)

Read this carefully, the normal excuses for boycotting over speech aren't here. This isn't choosing to spend your money elsewhere. This is a deliberate effort to punish someone because you didn't like their speech.

It is reprehensible that you would want to punish someone over their expression of free speech.
        Public figures and big shots should take care over their public remarks, in case the public take offence. Fair game, surely?
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I tend to go with lowes, mainly because I get a 10% veterans discount there.

However, the sentiment that someone should "pay" for their speech is a scary concept. It's one that democrats have been doing for ages, but most of the time they try to euphemize it as simply choosing to spend money where their values are aligned. This sort of raw "make them pay" concept is a bit more honest.
          As long as it's not the government enacting a law to suppress certain points of view then I don't have a problem with people choosing to boycott a business for whatever reason. A couple weeks ago I went to a local bike shop that I had never visited before, but when I saw a "Black Lives Matter" sign in the window, I kept on driving and determined I will never shop in that establishment. Now I didn't go on social media and encourage other people to do the same, but it's the same principle, just on a smaller scale.

The other thing about boycotts is that they tend to backfire, because those who approve of the business or the sentiments expressed tend to step up their spending in order to offset the boycott. Like when the homosexual community tried to boycott Chick Fil A only for the restaurant chain to do its best business ever thanks to an increase in sympathetic customers.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 11-03-2020, 09:36 AM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is a deliberate effort to punish someone because you didn't like their speech.
            Something Drumpf is weekly guilty of.

Clutch those pearls...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Clutch those pearls...
              Classic Not-as-badism. Perhaps your name should be "Whataboutman"

Comment

(bolding mine)

People shouldn't be allowed to boycott?

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

People shouldn't be allowed to boycott?
                  Where did I say that? Try responding to the actual point made, and not the strawman of what you want it to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Clutch those pearls...
                    Yeah - there is plenty of this sort of thing floating about lately, on all sides, but Trump is the master of it, and the source of a good deal of it.

The real issue is when will we have someone at the top that actually tries to ratchet it down, rather that feed it's flames and encourage it.

e.g. "I love Texas!' in response to the trumpian truck convoy trying to intimidate the biden bus!
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Where did I say that? Try responding to the actual point made, and not the strawman of what you want it to say.
                      I'm really lost. This is telling people to not spend money at Home Depot because of the views of the company founder. What is wrong with that?

Comment

I'm really lost. This is telling people to not spend money at Home Depot because of the views of the company founder. What is wrong with that?
                        Did you read what I wrote?

What part of making someone "pay" for speech is unclear?

Do you think the idea of making someone "pay" for political speech you don't like is one we should spread? Should we make someone "pay" for supporting gun control?

Did you agree with the concept that Colin Kaepernik was forced to "pay" for his kneeling?
                        Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 11-03-2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Do you think the idea of making someone "pay" for political speech you don't like is one we should spread? Should we make someone "pay" for supporting gun control?

Did you agree with the concept that Colin Kaepernik was forced to "pay" for his kneeling?
                          I think many boycotts have been about similar things - have they not? The company or company CEO supports something or someone that people disagree with, or promotes an idea some people disagree with, so they boycott it. Usually they are more noble sounding ideal though, and I would agree this is more petty and more vindictive in origin than most appeals for a boycott. But a sign of the times that no-one seems interested in doing anything about - except accusing the 'other side' of doing it.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Isn't that usually why we boycott things? Not exclusively of course.

I thought you believed in the free market.

Kaepernik doesn't "own" the NFL or a team. I don't think he was punished for good reason or in proportion to his supposed offense. I believe there is some evidence of illegal collusion among owners to blackball him but that's the only aspect with which I really take issue (outside of feeling towards the fans). The NFL is a business.

Comment

Isn't that usually why we boycott things? Not exclusively of course.

I thought you believed in the free market.

Kaepernik doesn't "own" the NFL or a team. I don't think he was punished for good reason or in proportion to his supposed offense. I believe there is some evidence of illegal collusion among owners to blackball him but that's the only aspect with which I really take issue (outside of feeling towards the fans). The NFL is a business.
                              Boycotting was used to force a change in behavior, such as discriminatory practices (forcing blacks to sit at the back of the bus, for example). That is a far cry from using boycotts to punish someone for simply saying something you didn't like.

Free market has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Here's a big hint. I can disagree with you without wanting to "make you pay" (i.e. punish you) for daring to have an opinion I don't agree with.

Comment