Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden Team Cancels Texas Event After Highway ‘Ambush’ by MAGA Cavalry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden Team Cancels Texas Event After Highway ‘Ambush’ by MAGA Cavalry

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-...ticles&via=rss

Joe Biden’s presidential campaign canceled a Friday event in Austin, Texas, after harassment from a pro-Trump contingent.

But when the Biden campaign bus drove to Austin, it was greeted by a blockade of pro-Trump demonstrators, leading to what one Texas House representative described as an escalation “well beyond safe limits.”

“These Trump supporters, many of whom were armed, surrounded the bus on the interstate and attempted to drive it off the road,” he alleged. “They outnumbered police 50-1, and they ended up hitting a staffer’s car.”

A Biden campaign staffer told The Daily Beast that Trump supporters surrounded the bus on the highway and slowed down in front of it, attempting to stop it or run it off the road. The official sent a picture taken on the bus, showing Trump trucks surrounding the front of the vehicle. Staffers on the bus called police, who helped the bus reach its destination.

Video from the highway shows trucks surrounding the bus, at one point colliding with an SUV.

Footage from a CBS affiliate in Austin shows Trump supporters with signs and bullhorns surrounding the bus when it parked, with one person screaming that Biden was a communist.

In a video ahead of a Friday event by Biden’s running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris, Trump Jr. encouraged his father’s supporters to show up at Harris’s event.

“Hey Laredo, Don Jr. here,” he said. “I heard you had an awesome turnout for the Trump Train. It’d be great if you guys would all get together, head down to McAllen and give Kamala Harris a nice Trump Train welcome. Get out there, have some fun, enjoy it. Don’t forget to vote and bring all of your friends. Let’s show them how strong Texas still is as Trump country. Get out there, guys.”

Some Trump supporters appeared to heed the call. At least one Facebook event with more than 700 responses, viewed by The Daily Beast, encouraged Trump fans to attend a Harris event in Fort Worth, Texas on Friday and “give Kamala Harris a big Texas welcome..... TRUMP STYLE!” The event was listed as canceled ahead of time, although its organizers acknowledged that some people might still try to attend, “and that's your right.”

The article has embedded videos so you can see that this isn't being made up or blown out of proportion. It's no surprise that this happens when Trump demonizes democrats up and down the ticket as he does but that doesn't make it any less horrifying to see this happen in the United States. That Don Jr. encourages this is really something though.

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

The article has embedded videos so you can see that this isn't being made up or blown out of proportion. It's no surprise that this happens when Trump demonizes democrats up and down the ticket as he does but that doesn't make it any less horrifying to see this happen in the United States. That Don Jr. encourages this is really something though.
    It EXACTLY has been blown out of proportion. The CBS link said there were a dozen Trump supporters (although I counted about six, along with about six apparent photojournalists). How do six people outnumber police 50-to-1? Most of the footage is this Biden bus making turns and cruising around slowly.

Did you even watch any of this? Even the caravan is about 20 vehicles. For 20 vehicles to outnumber police 50-to-1 would mean police supplied less than one vehicle.
    Last edited by Ronson; 10-31-2020, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Maybe if more people actually showed up to hear Sleepy Joe stumble over his words then this wouldn't happen.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-...ticles&via=rss

Joe Biden’s presidential campaign canceled a Friday event in Austin, Texas, after harassment from a pro-Trump contingent.

But when the Biden campaign bus drove to Austin, it was greeted by a blockade of pro-Trump demonstrators, leading to what one Texas House representative described as an escalation “well beyond safe limits.”

“These Trump supporters, many of whom were armed, surrounded the bus on the interstate and attempted to drive it off the road,” he alleged. “They outnumbered police 50-1, and they ended up hitting a staffer’s car.”

A Biden campaign staffer told The Daily Beast that Trump supporters surrounded the bus on the highway and slowed down in front of it, attempting to stop it or run it off the road. The official sent a picture taken on the bus, showing Trump trucks surrounding the front of the vehicle. Staffers on the bus called police, who helped the bus reach its destination.

Video from the highway shows trucks surrounding the bus, at one point colliding with an SUV.

Footage from a CBS affiliate in Austin shows Trump supporters with signs and bullhorns surrounding the bus when it parked, with one person screaming that Biden was a communist.

In a video ahead of a Friday event by Biden’s running mate, Sen. Kamala Harris, Trump Jr. encouraged his father’s supporters to show up at Harris’s event.

“Hey Laredo, Don Jr. here,” he said. “I heard you had an awesome turnout for the Trump Train. It’d be great if you guys would all get together, head down to McAllen and give Kamala Harris a nice Trump Train welcome. Get out there, have some fun, enjoy it. Don’t forget to vote and bring all of your friends. Let’s show them how strong Texas still is as Trump country. Get out there, guys.”

Some Trump supporters appeared to heed the call. At least one Facebook event with more than 700 responses, viewed by The Daily Beast, encouraged Trump fans to attend a Harris event in Fort Worth, Texas on Friday and “give Kamala Harris a big Texas welcome..... TRUMP STYLE!” The event was listed as canceled ahead of time, although its organizers acknowledged that some people might still try to attend, “and that's your right.”

It was quite entertaining to watch (especially the hearse) the various videos. And gotta love the rabid over-exaggerations by Daily Beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It was quite entertaining to watch (especially the hearse) the various videos. And gotta love the rabid over-exaggerations by Daily Beast.
          Yeah, this part

At least the reporter said "alleged".

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            At least the reporter said "alleged".
            Ah, that magic word that allows you to accuse someone of whatever you want without it being considered libel (at least in theory; in reality, whatever protection it offers is largely illusionary).
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It EXACTLY has been blown out of proportion. The CBS link said there were a dozen Trump supporters (although I counted about six, along with about six apparent photojournalists). How do six people outnumber police 50-to-1? Most of the footage is this Biden bus making turns and cruising around slowly.

Did you even watch any of this? Even the caravan is about 20 vehicles. For 20 vehicles to outnumber police 50-to-1 would mean police supplied less than one vehicle.
              Yes, I watched all the videos including the daily beast ones. You really think it is ok to surround the bus on the highway like that? You saw the Trump truck swerve towards the car in the next lane?

I included the line with the 50-to-1 line because it referenced a collision having occurred, not because of that specific claim (though I think it was referencing the convoy, not what happened after the bus left the highway). But even if it it is wrong by an order of magnitude that would still be 5-to-1. I counted 20 Trump vehicles in one of the DB videos but that's not starting filming from the start of the line either. I should have known better than to include that specific part because it's not what I was speaking to and gives the excuse to ignore the things which are clearly shown.

But what I'm hearing you say is that if a convoy of "antifa vehicles" surrounded a Trump affiliated bus and collided with another vehicle it would be NBD? And if Hunter said "that's what I like to see" you'd be ok with it? Give me a break.
              Last edited by LiconaFan97; 10-31-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Yes, I watched all the videos including the daily beast ones. You really think it is ok to surround the bus on the highway like that? You saw the Trump truck swerve towards the car in the next lane?
                Watching the video it looks like that car came well over into the truck's lane, quite a ways, and had already hit the truck. More likely the swerving came as a response to the impact (have you ever been in an accident? Quite often vehicles don't respond how you think they would - looks like an impact then an over-correction by the truck driver as they try to keep control after being hit). Honestly, viewing again as I type, the car is literally halfway in both lanes, as if it is trying to drive the truck off the road. They'd be the one getting the ticket.

Comment

Threats from hostile aggressive Trump supporter is enough to cancel the event for the safety of 10 nor ten thousand. Confrontation is not the answer regardless.
                  Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Watching the video it looks like that car came well over into the truck's lane, quite a ways, and had already hit the truck. More likely the swerving came as a response to the impact (have you ever been in an accident? Quite often vehicles don't respond how you think they would - looks like an impact then an over-correction by the truck driver as they try to keep control after being hit). Honestly, viewing again as I type, the car is literally halfway in both lanes, as if it is trying to drive the truck off the road. They'd be the one getting the ticket.
                    I've been in an accident but not one of that sort.

I think what happened is the white car was trying to get between the truck and the bus (for obvious reasons). I went through frame-by-frame and it looks like the black truck rammed the white car though we can't be 100% sure. But I really doubt anyone is going to ram a Trump vehicle when there is an entire fleet all around them who is clearly implying bad intentions towards the bus, particularly since they immediately fled the scene from what would have been an understandable response by the truck had they initiated the collision.

Comment

The issue is not how bad this incident was, but that it existed at all. This is America...how have we come to accept this sort of thing as normal?
                      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

I've been in an accident but not one of that sort.

I think what happened is the white car was trying to get between the truck and the bus (for obvious reasons).
                        It literally came into an occupied lane. Truck remained in its lane and steady until the white car came in contact. Flagrant violation of basic traffic laws.

I went through frame-by-frame and it looks like the black truck rammed the white car though we can't be 100% sure. But I really doubt anyone is going to ram a Trump vehicle when there is an entire fleet all around them who is clearly implying bad intentions towards the bus, particularly since they immediately fled the scene from what would have been an understandable response by the truck had they initiated the collision.
                        Nope, the white car, in the truck's lane, comes into contact, the truck driver swerves at contact, tries to correct, and contact happens again and the car darts back into its own lane. You don't magically get to have your own special rules of the road just because you are a Biden staffer. You come into someone else's lane and contact their car, you're the one getting ticketed.

Comment

Here in LA every business is preparing for election chaos they anticipate by leftist mobs, hunkering down and bordering up windows just about on every street I walked down. This is apparently happening across the country. That fact alone (even ignoring all the past violence and chaos the left has caused in our streets in 2020) makes half a dozen idiots that scared the Biden campaign with Trump flags a laughable non-issue.

Comment

It literally came into an occupied lane. Truck remained in its lane and steady until the white car came in contact. Flagrant violation of basic traffic laws.
                            You want me to condemn the actions of the white car while you completely ignore the actions of these Trump supporters who sought to harass, incite fear, and successfully force the cancellation of a Biden event. No dice.

Nope, the white car, in the truck's lane, comes into contact, the truck driver swerves at contact, tries to correct, and contact happens again and the car darts back into its own lane. You don't magically get to have your own special rules of the road just because you are a Biden staffer. You come into someone else's lane and contact their car, you're the one getting ticketed.
                            Surrounding another vehicle and inciting fear in the passengers is also quite serious behavior. Don't you care?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              Here in LA every business is preparing for election chaos they anticipate by leftist mobs, hunkering down and bordering up windows just about on every street I walked down. This is apparently happening across the country. That fact alone (even ignoring all the past violence and chaos the left has caused in our streets in 2020) makes half a dozen idiots that scared the Biden campaign with Trump flags a laughable non-issue.
                              No, it does not. Threats of violence, perceived or actual, directed against ones political opponents is absolutely unacceptable and you know that. That's why threats against the president, even when made in jest, are treated seriously by the secret service.

Comment