Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The messiah of fake news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The messiah of fake news...

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...eluge-n1245387

How a fake persona laid the groundwork for a Hunter Biden conspiracy deluge

A 64-page document that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm."
    One month before a purported leak of files from Hunter Biden's laptop, a fake "intelligence" report about him went viral on the right-wing internet, asserting an elaborate conspiracy theory involving former Vice President Joe Biden's son and business in China.

That report, a 64-page document that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the report, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen's profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer told NBC News that no one by that name had ever worked for their company, and no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the report, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of the document when asked about it by NBC News, and said that Aspen does not exist.
    An unverified leak of documents including salacious pictures from what President Donald Trump's lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and Delaware Apple repair store owner claimed to be Hunter Biden's hard drive were published in the New York Post on Oct. 14. Associates close to Trump, including Giuliani and former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, have since promised more blockbuster leaks and secrets, which have yet to materialize.

The fake intelligence report, however, preceded the leak by months and helped lay the groundwork among right-wing media for what would become a failed October surprise: a viral pile-on of conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden.
    Oops.

I'm not sure what you're implying with the "oops," but I don't see how this in any way discounts the evidence we've seen so far, if that's what you're implying. All this does is show perhaps someone knew these revelations were coming and ran ahead of it for some reason. There were allegations (rumors) of Biden and his son Hunter's shady dealings in China long before the emails came out.

Comment

There's an audio of Hunter Biden now whining about how he and his father were being hounded by the state attorney, and how their billionaire Chinese business partner went missing.

But hey, I'm sure it's all Russia, Russia, Russia. Some voice impersonator they dug up.

https://www.oann.com/bombshell-audio...d-from-laptop/

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/securit...eluge-n1245387

One month before a purported leak of files from Hunter Biden's laptop, a fake "intelligence" report about him went viral on the right-wing internet, asserting an elaborate conspiracy theory involving former Vice President Joe Biden's son and business in China.
        What were extreme leftists doing on the internet, which is only right-wing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          There's an audio of Hunter Biden now whining about how he and his father were being hounded by the state attorney, and how their billionaire Chinese business partner went missing.

But hey, I'm sure it's all Russia, Russia, Russia. Some voice impersonator they dug up.

https://www.oann.com/bombshell-audio...d-from-laptop/
          I've listened to that recording. Without setting myself up for more unjustified accusations of conspiracy theories let me point out a few questions I have about this.

First, it is very exposition heavy, like we're clunkily trying to catch someone up in a movie. Who was he talking to who wants to hear all this stuff but who doesn't already know it?

Where and how was it recorded? It sounds like he's talking on the phone, I guess? He must have been the one recording the call since he hear his half of the conversation. Why would he save this recording to his laptop? Why would saving a recording of only his half of a conversation be something worth saving?

Again, don't accuse me of conspiracy theories. These are all reasonable questions to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

I've listened to that recording. Without setting myself up for more unjustified accusations of conspiracy theories let me point out a few questions I have about this.

First, it is very exposition heavy, like we're clunkily trying to catch someone up in a movie. Who was he talking to who wants to hear all this stuff but who doesn't already know it?

Where and how was it recorded? It sounds like he's talking on the phone, I guess? He must have been the one recording the call since he hear his half of the conversation. Why would he save this recording to his laptop? Why would saving a recording of only his half of a conversation be something worth saving?

Again, don't accuse me of conspiracy theories. These are all reasonable questions to ask.
            The speculation is he was making an audio note; thinking out loud for later reference. He wasn't having a conversation. I understand some people do this as it helps them work through a problem(s).

Don't you think if it was faked that it would have been more plausible to have him chatting into a phone, with long pauses, instead of thinking out loud?

At any rate, Hunter won't deny it's him. He hasn't denied any of this stuff. And the mainstream media won't report it so it won't affect the election.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

You haven't actually seen what is on that hard drive. It's quite damming...and shameful, oh my.

​​Oh and there are open criminal investigations against your man's boy. And will sweep up Joe. Good luck trying to spin it.

What it says is that Hillary paid for invented lies, and someone not named Trump leaked illegalities, salacious and embarrassing truth.

You should sniff around the FBI, they've sat on this since last year.

Comment

I don't understand. This Hunter Biden thing has been going on for a heck of a lot longer than a month ago. Even if there is some fake report floating around out there, it doesn't change anything from before.

But I do find it funny that liberals are all of a sudden whining about fake intelligence reports years after they tried to foist that very thing on the American people with the Steele report.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  What were extreme leftists doing on the internet, which is only right-wing?
                  I think you've confused the internet with talk radio.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I think you've confused the internet with talk radio.
                    I was just pointing out NBC's odd point. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I did just notice how odd it is for NBC to call things conspiracy theories when it is just news that didn't come from mainstream media.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                      I was just pointing out NBC's odd point. Nothing more. Nothing less.
                      Okay, didn't realize you were referring to the quote.

NBC did not claim that all of the internet is right-wing. They were just specifying which part of the internet the fake "intelligence" report went viral on.

Comment