Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Three dead as woman beheaded in France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Woefully abysmal ignorance on parade. ^^

In order to use violence to spread Christianity you must ignore what Christ expressly and explicitly said.

In order to NOT use violence to spread Islam you must ignore what Muhammad expressly and explicitly said.

It really is that simple folks.
    This violence is not about winning converts in France. No, this is revenge for showing disrespect. The lesson they wish to teach is be respectful of Islam or we will cut your head off.

We in the west do not really know how to respond.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

Yes, I can. All you have to do is look at their founders and what they taught.
      No, you can't. What they taught is sufficiently vague that their followers can - and do - do whatever they like in the name of their religion. Christianity has a long history of violence in Jesus' name.
      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Woefully abysmal ignorance on parade. ^^

In order to use violence to spread Christianity you must ignore what Christ expressly and explicitly said.

In order to NOT use violence to spread Islam you must ignore what Muhammad expressly and explicitly said.

It really is that simple folks.
        Sorry, but Christianity has been spread using violence for centuries. The ignorance is not mine.

As for ignoring what Christ expressly and explicitly said...Christianity has a long history of doing exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

This violence is not about winning converts in France. No, this is revenge for showing disrespect. The lesson they wish to teach is be respectful of Islam or we will cut your head off.

Yes, blame the victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
            Sorry, but Christianity has been spread using violence for centuries. The ignorance is not mine.
            And such violence directly flies in the face of what Christ taught.

In sharp contrast, if violence was not used, that would directly fly in the face of what Muhammad taught.

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
            As for ignoring what Christ expressly and explicitly said...Christianity has a long history of doing exactly that.
            So are you now acknowledging that utilizing violence to spread the Gospel message is anathema to Christ's teachings?

But you're right about one thing. Christians (like everyone else) have on many occasions done what they saw was right in their own eyes rather than following His instructions. I know that I'm guilty of it. That's not at all surprising given that humans are flawed and, while you may disagree, sinful by their nature. We always tend to muck things up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Where I grew up, one is owed basic courtesy but you must earn respect. It is not given simply by demanding it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Your an extremely biased source. NO violence in the name of religion is violence in the name of religion.
                They cannot be compared. Jesus told his followers to love and pray for their enemies and those who persecute them and to teach the Gospel with love. Paul also told Christians to preach the Gospel with love and compassion. Regarding Judaism, Jews do not go around bombing and beheading innocent people and, in fact, do not proselytize at all. Judaism is a very peaceful religion.

Regarding Christians, those at First Baptist Church do not bomb or behead the members of Second or Third Baptist Church. And when was the last time you heard of someone killing someone for blasphemy against Christ? On the other hand, people are often killed for insulting or even drawing Muhammad. The Quran says to slay pagans and fight against the people of the Book until they are subdued and pay the Jizyah. And it’s not just a few verses. They are scattered throughout the Quran. And Islamic violence is constantly in the news because it is constantly occurring.
                Last edited by Kate22; 10-31-2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate22 View Post
                  They cannot be compared. Jesus told his followers to love and pray for their enemies and those who persecute them and to teach the Gospel with love. Paul also told Christians to preach the Gospel with love and compassion. Regarding Judaism, Jews do not go around bombing and beheading innocent people and, in fact, do not proselytize at all. Judaism is a very peaceful religion.

Regarding Christians, those at First Baptist Church do not bomb or behead the members of Second or Third Baptist Church. And when was the last time you heard of someone killing someone for blasphemy against Christ? On the other hand, people are often killed for insulting or even drawing Muhammad. The Quran says to slay pagans and fight against the people of the Book until they are subdued and pay the Jizyah. And it’s not just a few verses. They are scattered throughout the Quran. And Islamic violence is constantly in the news because it is constantly occurring.
                  Your not considering the history of violence against those who believe different either between churches or between religions, ie the relationship between Christianity and Judaism. In recent history tribal violence in Africa due to tribes belonging to different churches.

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                  Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Kate22 View Post

I have never understood why when someone says something negative about Muhammad their reaction is to riot and sometimes kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post

I have never understood why when someone says something negative about Muhammad their reaction is to riot and sometimes kill someone.
                      It is very bizarre. Muhammad is not worshipped, yet people often kill whenever he is mocked or just portrayed. Meanwhile, Jesus IS worshipped, but Christians do not kill when he is blasphemed.

And Shunyadragon, I realize how much tribalism exists, including in Africa, since I am Malagasy in addition to my other heritage (Chinese-Jamaican). In Madagascar, there are several tribes and while sometimes there is friction, people do not harm or kill each other over different denominations. And the Christians do not harm or kill the MANY animists, and we get along just fine. However, guess which religion is starting to grow slightly and causing some trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yes, blame the victim.
                        No, I don’t think that would be wise.
                        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

No, I don’t think that would be wise.
                          You shouldn't insult yourself like that. But I mean... go ahead if that floats your boat.

Comment

And such violence directly flies in the face of what Christ taught.
                            Of your interpretation of what Christ taught. Your interpretation is not everyone's, nor is it necessarily correct.

In sharp contrast, if violence was not used, that would directly fly in the face of what Muhammad taught.
                            Of your interpretation of what Muhammad taught. Your interpretation is not everyone's, nor is it necessarily correct.

So are you now acknowledging that utilizing violence to spread the Gospel message is anathema to Christ's teachings?
                            I nowhere did so.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You shouldn't insult yourself like that. But I mean... go ahead if that floats your boat.
                              You seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick.

Comment

You seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick.
                                A little too complicated to understand, huh? I suggest a reading comprehension course at your local elementary school

Comment