Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Remember that anonymous "senior staffer" who dished the dirt on Trump in NYT? Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

That there are people that did not have any real access to Trump in photo ops with him does not prove that other people in photo ops with trump did not have access to him.
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

No, but it means that simply having your picture taken with Trump does not mean you had access too him, which was the point being made.
    In other words, a photo-op with the President does not prove anything one way or the other.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, but it means that simply having your picture taken with Trump does not mean you had access too him, which was the point being made.
      It's not either/or CD. It means both. It means that you can't use one or two pictures of any person standing next to Trump to prove that person had or didn't have significant access to Trump.

However, we do know that Miles was on staff, and not simply visiting the President socially, as many were in the photos you posted.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's not either/or CD. It means both. It means that you can't use one or two pictures of any person standing next to Trump to prove that person had or didn't have significant access to Trump.

However, we do know that Miles was on staff, and not simply visiting the President socially, as many were in the photos you posted.
        You really should read better. I posted no pictures, I merely corrected your statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

In other words, a photo-op with the President does not prove anything one way or the other.

How about that - we agree ....almost

To be precise, it can serve as supporting evidence along with other facts, but it can't prove anything about their interactions by itself.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You really should read better. I posted no pictures, I merely corrected your statement.
            Actually, I just need to pay more attention to who actually made a given post. Misidentifying you as the source of the post I originally replied to has little to do with the correctness of my comment about said post.

However, misidentifying who made a post is a mistake I make all to often, so I apologize for that error.

Comment

That there are people that did not have any real access to Trump in photo ops with him does not prove that other people in photo ops with trump did not have access to him.

That a person is not extremely close to Trump does not mean he did not have sufficient direct access to him to observe his behavior and make valid conclusions about him.

Keeping Miles' identity anonymous was important at the time. Implying he was higher up in the food chain than he was could have been part of that plan. Again, that doesn't make his observations false.
              What makes him LIKELY false is he LIKELY had no appreciable access to Trump, and that he was a disgruntled ex-employee, and that he lied and said he wasn't the op-ed writer when asked. Sounds pretty slimey to me.

In fact, we have seen other farther up the food chain (e.g. John Kelly) say basically the same sorts of things about the president.
              You mean more anonymous hearsay in the New York Times? Yeah, I saw that. I read John Kelly's actual interviews - not in the NYT. What if John Kelly doesn't like Joe Biden? Does that mean Joe Biden is awful? Are we supposed to base our opinions on other peoples' opinions?

The real issue is not the precise position of Miles in the office food chain. The issue is how accurate are his observations wrt Trump (and those around him doing their best to reign in Trump's most destructive impulses). And we have ample evidence his observations are spot on, and he was one of the first to speak out on it from inside the white house. Good on him. And the rest of you continuing to ignore these warnings about who Trump is from multiple sources and through multiple paths of relationship and experience are simply living in a fantasy world.
              I'd rather have a libertarian (small "L") in the Oval Office than a plagiarist, career politician who uses the US government to enrich his family. I don't care if Trump is rude and obnoxious.

Comment

The point remains: Being in a photo with Trump in the Oval Office means nothing.

It was offered up as evidence of Miles being an insider. I responded to that assertion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The point remains: Being in a photo with Trump in the Oval Office means nothing.

It was offered up as evidence of Miles being an insider. I responded to that assertion.
                  It was offered as evidence that he wasn't "very low level" with "zero access." This whole thing is goofy to begin with because he already know he had a fairly high government position, and one which would have afforded him the opportunity to make at least some of the claims he made in the anonymous op-ed. Beyond that I really don't care much about him now that I've recently learned he played a nontrivial role in the family separation policy.
                  Last edited by LiconaFan97; 10-30-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Except that he was on staff. So those two photos show him, as a staffer, interacting with the president in an official capacity, Whereas many of the photos you posted showed people interacting with the president on a purely social basis as outsiders. There is a difference in meaning and implication.

Again, the real issue here is that you and those with you are following Trump's lead of characterizing those that expose his mess as being 'disgruntled' or 'unimportant nothings' etc. Which 'could' be true if it was a one off. But it's not. Again, we have seen a parade of people from many different areas of Trumps life, professional and social, tell us the same things. Many of them top men in their field, people of integrity, and people in some cases specifically chosen for their expertise and general commitment to conservative policies and ideals. That so many are telling us the very same things should be a wake up call.

Comment

Except that he was on staff. So those two photos show him, as a staffer, interacting with the president in an official capacity,
                      A thumbs-up photo op is "official capacity"? Standing in the shadows behind actual staff is "interacting"? I don't think so.

Whereas many of the photos you posted showed people interacting with the president on a purely social basis as outsiders. There is a difference in meaning and implication.
                      None. There are many more photos of Trump with Kanye West - actually interacting with him. So based on the photos, Kanye knows more about Trump.

Again, the real issue here is that you and those with you are following Trump's lead of characterizing those that expose his mess as being 'disgruntled' or 'unimportant nothings' etc. Which 'could' be true if it was a one off. But it's not. Again, we have seen a parade of people from many different areas of Trumps life, professional and social, tell us the same things. Many of them top men in their field, people of integrity, and people in some cases specifically chosen for their expertise and general commitment to conservative policies and ideals. That so many are telling us the very same things should be a wake up call.
                      And again, the real issue here is, who cares? Leftists are all about words and innuendo and drama. I'm more concerned with actions. Trump's action are all I care about.

Comment

Except that he was on staff. So those two photos show him, as a staffer, interacting with the president in an official capacity, Whereas many of the photos you posted showed people interacting with the president on a purely social basis as outsiders. There is a difference in meaning and implication.

There are three things to consider though. First of all, I don't think any of us here assume Trump doesn't have flaws. Major flaws. I've heard even the most ardent supporters here admit that (yet you seem to be under the impression this isn't the case). Secondly, some of the accusations against Trump come from "associated sources" not the source itself, as in the case of John Kelly. Third, it's very in vogue and at times lucrative to jump on the Orange Man Bad train when living office -- i.e. book deals, leftist news network analysts, talk show cohosts, etc. There's not much left there to go on and declare: "Well, that settles it, I'm voting for a phony racist instead and all the leftist insane PC trash that comes with it."
                        Last edited by seanD; 10-30-2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

A thumbs-up photo op is "official capacity"? Standing in the shadows behind actual staff is "interacting"? I don't think so.

None. There are many more photos of Trump with Kanye West - actually interacting with him. So based on the photos, Kanye knows more about Trump.
                          I already made the point the pictures alone dont tell much of anything. But add in the fact he was on staff in the white house pictures of him with trump can add weight to the claim he had access to the president as a staffer when otherwise they do not.

And again, the real issue here is, who cares? Leftists are all about words and innuendo and drama. I'm more concerned with actions. Trump's action are all I care about.
                          Tried to bribe and coerce ukraine in an attempt to get dirt on his rival
                          blew off the emoluments clause
                          Has explicitly used the office of president to shore up his businesses
                          Condemned children of illegal immigrants to in some cases permanent isolation from their parents. In some cases they are now orphans
                          Apparently pawned those same children off to other governments
                          has completely botched the coronavirus response, to the tune of at least 100,000 unnecessary deaths and continues to encourage people to act out in ways that WILL result in their deaths.
                          has undermined the public confidence in the election process
                          Purposefully sabotaged the USPS as part of his efforts to interfere in the election.

And so, so much more.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He's not even remotely a senior white house official like they claimed, sorry bud. He had effectively zero access to the inner white house, and his claims are based on hearsay.
                            For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

But as the left revealed during their impeachment circus having gossip composed of second and third hand hearsay is for them the gold standard of "eyewitness testimony.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

There are pictures of him next to Trump in the oval office. So certainly not zero access.

aylor.jpg

aylor2.jpg
                              If that means he had the access he and the NYT claims he had then this must mean Louis Farrakhan was Obama's chief of staff.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I already made the point the pictures alone dont tell much of anything. But add in the fact he was on staff in the white house pictures of him with trump can add weight to the claim he had access to the president as a staffer when otherwise they do not.
                                Same answer: Doesn't mean anything.

Tried to bribe and coerce ukraine in an attempt to get dirt on his rival
                                blew off the emoluments clause..(snip)
                                CNN talking points, consisting of fabrications, exaggerations, spin and hyperbole.

Comment