Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New Zealand concentration camps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

    AS with the New Zealand report, I am interested in whether the extreme restriction tactics reported for Melbourne are true. This goes against the rights of men and against Common Law, so this is my concern. One thing obvious though is that the Silicon Valley companies have followed the same pattern of restrictions against the discussion of cures by medical doctors and about political right view points. This is a scary thing that discussions could be so readily constrained by a few internet companies.
    No it doesn’t go against the rights of men or common law.... it’s necessary to save lives.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      Every now and again a thread gets started that is so absurd it just doesn't deserve the attention it inevitably gets.

      This is such a thread.
      Reinterpret the OP as "New Zealand's successful response to Covid has been the envy of the rest of the Western world. What lessons are there to learn?" then it becomes a thread deserving of attention.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

        We only locked down places that had outbreaks. Why would you lockdown areas where there are none? Who did that?

        Sydney had a two week lockdown back in April and that pretty much killed the outbreak and things have been pretty normal since then.
        California, Florida, Arizona, Texas ... There's too many places to list. It has been the policy to do unnecessary lockdowns. There were 4 to 6 states that didn't do quarantines at all. California shutdown without having any significant number of hospitalized people.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

          No it doesn’t go against the rights of men or common law.... it’s necessary to save lives.
          Is it? What life was saved by this?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

            Is it? What life was saved by this?
            Look at deaths in NZ compared to deaths in USA.
            You will find the answer.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

              Is it? What life was saved by this?
              Well, at least 200+ in the US would have been saved if some care had been taken.
              "Obama is not a brown-skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away free healthcare. You are thinking of Jesus." Episcopal Bishop of Arizona

              I remember WinAce. Gone but not forgotten.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                This decision was made basically because the government has learned over the course of this pandemic that people can't be trusted to do what's asked of them with regard to self-isolating
                Pretty much the mark of an authoritarian government, not trusting their people to handle their own freedom and affairs and controlling them. In a free country the government works for the people, and the people grant the government powers, not the other way around.

                Remember this is happening against a background of zero cases in the country and people living their lives as normal. Your choice then becomes do you (a) let a few infected people infect the rest and have thousands of people die? or (b) quarantine the handful of infected people, and give them a cushy taxpayer funded hotel room and food for a couple of weeks?
                A gilded cage is still a cage.




                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by kiwimac View Post

                  Well, at least 200+ in the US would have been saved if some care had been taken.
                  Wow. This means the that 180k+ who died of other causes would not have died. it also means that the masks and quarantines did nothing. That means the shutdown of most international travel meant nothing.

                  I'm not sure how you tell the numbers that would decrease despite having done all this. I'm not sure how you have lost track of the this number of people dying from being deprived of living life for 7 months, who have suffered increased depression, suicide, treatable disease, child abuse ... But I guess all these people are the expendables.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 10-29-2020, 12:27 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

                    Wow. This means the that 180k+ who died of other causes would not have died. it also means that the masks and quarantines did nothing. That means the shutdown of most international travel meant nothing.

                    I'm not sure how you tell the numbers that would decrease despite having done all this. I'm not sure how you have lost track of the this number of people dying from being deprived of living life for 7 months, who have suffered increased depression, suicide, treatable disease, child abuse ... But I guess all these people are the expendables.
                    Meanwhile, Democrats in the beginning of the year were accusing President Trump of racism and xenophobia for restricting travel, and folks like Nancy Pelosi and Andrew Cuomo were encourage people to get out and congregate in large numbers because the President didn't know what he was talking about.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God


                    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

                      Look at deaths in NZ compared to deaths in USA.
                      You will find the answer.
                      yes it is amazing that you did not have 100Ks of people die from this. I'm not sure how you can compare anything between such diverse situations. At least you didn't have a Cuomo who put sick people into nursing homes -- maybe that is what you are talking about. But that was only a minimal number of places where this sort of thing happened.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

                        No it doesn’t go against the rights of men or common law.... it’s necessary to save lives.
                        You need to study Common Law and the rights of man a bit more.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

                          No it doesn’t go against the rights of men or common law.... it’s necessary to save lives.
                          This is a cryptic remark. Are you suggesting that basic rights and common law can be suspended in the interest of saving lives? Or are you saying that the measures taken (i.e. forcible imprisonment) don't violate basic rights and common law and are necessary to save lives?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God


                          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            “Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” - Spock
                            "The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it." - P. J. O'Rourke

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

                              You need to study Common Law and the rights of man a bit more.
                              I’m sure I do as common law changes every now and again and I need to know it for work. I think you mean natural law anyway.

                              Rights of man - are you talking about human rights?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                                This is a cryptic remark. Are you suggesting that basic rights and common law can be suspended in the interest of saving lives? Or are you saying that the measures taken (i.e. forcible imprisonment) don't violate basic rights and common law and are necessary to save lives?
                                The second one.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Darfius, Today, 02:11 PM
                                2 responses
                                39 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Darfius
                                by Darfius
                                 
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, Today, 02:06 PM
                                13 responses
                                45 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post LiconaFan97  
                                Started by rogue06, Yesterday, 09:13 AM
                                18 responses
                                136 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Ronson
                                by Ronson
                                 
                                Started by CivilDiscourse, 11-29-2020, 09:32 AM
                                27 responses
                                184 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Electric Skeptic  
                                Started by mossrose, 11-28-2020, 03:05 PM
                                43 responses
                                308 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post Cerebrum123  
                                Working...
                                X