Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court Slaps Back Dems Voter Nonsense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

If you've been reading my posts, you should be able to comprehend that the phrase that describes the thrust of my comments is not 'could be used'. not 'would be used'. Do you understand the difference? I started off saying the reason the judge ruled against it is that the subjective nature of the check makes if possible for biased application. I never said they WOULD do it, and the judge didn't rule against it because someone DID do it. The issue is the POTENTIAL for abuse. Indeed, I have capitolized the word POTENTIAL in other posts in this series.

Further, I've not been offering an opinion as to whether the judges opinion is necessarily the right opinion.(I did note that some places are using automated signature checks that eliminate most potential for bias)

I've just making the case that there have been serious abuses of 'tests' in the past, and so when it comes to election laws, the balance is towards not disenfranchising voters. It's just the way it is. The judge had legitimate concerns about the application of the law wrt to the potential to disenfranchise otherwise legal voters. It has been a problem for a long time, and it is still a problem today. Republicans are out there right now raising frivolous suits and legal issues trying to get votes in predominantly democratic areas of the country thrown out. And fortunately they are losing most of them. E.g.: the challenges to some 127,000 drive-in votes in Harris county, Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...andera-vpx.cnn
    You still haven't shown that 1: anyone would be using signature checks to disenfranchise anyone, 2. that they could even do it without getting caught, or 3. that having a simple double check on rejected signatures would not stop any such attempts if they did occur.

On the other hand, people knowing that their signatures won't be checked, is an open invitation for voter fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You still haven't shown that 1: anyone would be using signature checks to disenfranchise anyone, 2. that they could even do it without getting caught, or 3. that having a simple double check on rejected signatures would not stop any such attempts if they did occur.

On the other hand, people knowing that their signatures won't be checked, is an open invitation for voter fraud.
      As I said before - I don't have to. I'm just answering the question of why a Judge would do that.

I think this topic is done.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment