Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Has Van Jones left the Democrat reservation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Van Jones left the Democrat reservation?

Anthony "Van" Jones, the Obamessiah's "Green Energy Czar" and who's leftist credentials are impeccable, has said a few things recently that has raised more than a few eyebrows.

Back in May, referencing Amy Cooper, who called the police on a black man in New York’s Central Park after he asked that she put her dog on a leash:

"It's not the racist white person who is in the Ku Klux that we have to worry about. It's the white liberal Hillary Clinton supporter walking her dog in Central Parkwho would tell you right now, you know, people like that, 'I don't see race, race is no big deal to me, I see us all as the same, I give to charities,' but the minute she sees a black man who she does not respect or who she has a slight thought against, she weaponized race like she had been trained by the Aryan Nation. A Klans member could not have been better trained to pick up her phone and tell the police a black man, African-American man, come get him."

I wonder if he has been reading Malcolm X,[1] who, whatever else you may say about him, sure saw through white leftists.

And more recently during a panel discussion on CNN, after anchor Jake Tapper slammed Trump's remarks made during the final presidential debate, namely saying he's "done more" for the black community than any president with the "possible exception of Abraham Lincoln":

"I think it's really unfortunate because Donald Trump, and I get beat up by liberals every time I say it but I keep saying it, he has done good stuff for the Black community. Opportunity Zone stuff, black college stuff, I worked with him on criminal stuff, I saw Donald Trump have African American people, formally incarcerated, in the White House, embraced them, treated them well. There is a side to Donald Trump that I think he does not get enough credit for."

He's sounding a lot like someone that Joe Biden would determine isn't legitimately black

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Van Jones warned about that before, that Trump was doing more for blacks than Democrats were.

I think Jones is still solidly in that Leftist camp but he does have some clarity on this issue.

Comment

I do not see anything in Van Jones' statements which indicate that he will leaving the Democrat party. These quotes seem pretty level headed. I consider myself Leftist and I do not see anything here I would disagree with.

The opening of the first statement could be construed to match the opinion in the quotes from Malcolm X which you posted, somehow the KKK is less dangerous than your average Clinton voter. However, the last two lines of that same quote make it clear that this is not what he means. He says that it is as if this woman was trained by KKK. His point is simply that we should be aware that self-described leftists can be racist and even use racism as a weapon. He is not saying that this is more dangerous than the overt racism of white supremacy groups like Aryan Nation and the KKK.

As for the second quote, he is looking at one specific area and gives credit where credit is due. Great. Being able to acknowledge achievements by your political opponents would be a great first step in advancing political discourse in the US. (I would add that Trump finds this impossible.)

So, is there other information out that that suggests Van Jones really has given up on the Democrat party, or that he actually supports or endorses Trump in next weeks election? Just curious. My quick googling didn't get me too far.

Comment

Originally posted by casaba View Post
        I do not see anything in Van Jones' statements which indicate that he will leaving the Democrat party. These quotes seem pretty level headed. I consider myself Leftist and I do not see anything here I would disagree with.

The opening of the first statement could be construed to match the opinion in the quotes from Malcolm X which you posted, somehow the KKK is less dangerous than your average Clinton voter. However, the last two lines of that same quote make it clear that this is not what he means. He says that it is as if this woman was trained by KKK. His point is simply that we should be aware that self-described leftists can be racist and even use racism as a weapon. He is not saying that this is more dangerous than the overt racism of white supremacy groups like Aryan Nation and the KKK.

As for the second quote, he is looking at one specific area and gives credit where credit is due. Great. Being able to acknowledge achievements by your political opponents would be a great first step in advancing political discourse in the US. (I would add that Trump finds this impossible.)

So, is there other information out that that suggests Van Jones really has given up on the Democrat party, or that he actually supports or endorses Trump in next weeks election? Just curious. My quick googling didn't get me too far.
        Democrats have reached the point where they are openly saying that even bipartisanship is wrong. If you don't tow the line on every issue these days you can expect to be harassed even by people who you thought were friends.

While I don't think Van Jones has any plans on leaving the Democrat plantation he may very well be given the bum's rush out of it as a persona non grata if he continues. Still, a snowball has a better chance of surviving you know where than Van Jones becoming a Republican. He'd probably switch to the Green Party.

Oh. And welcome to Tweb.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          ...welcome to Tweb.
          Thanks. I am actually a returnee. I first came in 2006 and was somewhat active for 2 or 3 years. I see many familiar names, including your own.

As for the topic here, I guess I misunderstood your opener. Apparently you are not criticizing Van Jones but predicting/caricaturing how 'the Democrat establishment' will react to his statements. Honestly, I was hoping to find topics to discuss here in Civics 101. I'll keep looking.

Hope to talk later in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by casaba View Post

Thanks. I am actually a returnee. I first came in 2006 and was somewhat active for 2 or 3 years. I see many familiar names, including your own.

As for the topic here, I guess I misunderstood your opener. Apparently you are not criticizing Van Jones but predicting/caricaturing how 'the Democrat establishment' will react to his statements. Honestly, I was hoping to find topics to discuss here in Civics 101. I'll keep looking.

Hope to talk later in another thread.
            The name did seem familiar

Still, welcome from someone who also started posting here in '06

Comment