Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More Riots By The Insane Left...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

You didn't get my point. I understand that a knife is a deadly weapon and that self- defence is justified.

My point was that the wording of the sentence in the op reads strangely. It appears that the police used a knife to shoot the man.

For the record, I agree the police are well within their rights to use deadly force as necessary.
    There are several little twists like that when writing "AP style".

One that took a while for me to get used to was writing "more than" instead of "over", since people tend to say "over" when speaking about quantity (ex "over 10 people attended")

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Probably because we've been over this ground so many times there's nothing left to be said.
      I've been thinking about this. If you want to move the conversation forward and start resolving the issues, may I suggest the following topics:
      1. What does genuine police reform look like? I don't think the elimination of police results in the elimination of crime so we'll need them. How if they are reformed, how do they function and behave?
      2. Apparently George Floyd and Daniel Prude were on illegal drugs when they were killed. Does this give them some responsibility in their own deaths? Would legalizing drugs really help the situation?
      3. About 4 hours before he died, Daniel Prude was released from a hospital where he had been taken for a mental health check. Because of HIPA, we don't know what treatment he received and the reason he was released. Do we need to look at our protocols for hospitals when someone is brought in for a mental health check?
      4. The police kill someone and some people in that area decide that gives them the right to loot businesses. What is going in society that police actions (whether legitimate or not) results in lawlessness?
      5. What is the teaching in some parts of society that says it's ok to disobey or flee from the police?
      6. Is this really a racial issue or a class issue? I've seen a couple articles suggesting we are looking at class conflict not racism. Of course, it could be both. I just think going to Appalachia and tell them they have white privilege to make me question the concept of everything is racism.

Of course many of these are tough and will cause self-reflection so they'll be avoided.
      Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 10-28-2020, 08:46 AM.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        I live across the river from all this. I work in New Jersey, but my company's main office is there in Philly.

And it doesn't help much that Philadelphia's polce commissioner's name is Danielle Outlaw.
        An unfortunate name. Ranks up there with the Philipino bishop Jaime Sin, who was also a Cardinal. Yup, he was Cardinal Sin.
        America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

They just rioted here in LA last night because -- get this -- the Dodgers won the world series. All over downtown, they destroyed property, covered everything in graffiti, and looted Wallgreens, Footlocker and other various stores here and there. So you know this will happen on election night and every time a black person gets killed by police. This is the new normal in America.

Comment

Looting in Philadelphia by right wingers....

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              Looting in Philadelphia by right wingers....

"FREE STUFF!!!! FREE STUFF!!!! WEEEEEE!!!"

What amazes me is how anyone living in such a Democrat-run city can vote Democrat again. I don't even want to live anywhere near a big city ever again in my life, or my family.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Over a justified shooting...
                Saw the video of the shooting, definitely justified. They even spent timebacking away repeatedly to give him more time to make an intelligent decision. Honestly more time than I would have given him if he came at me on the street with a knife.
                but no surprise at the rioting. Hell, these things rooted in Minneapolis over a black dude killing himself on camera in public. They dont care about black lives or race. Only about sowing discord and overthrowing society.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                  An unfortunate name. Ranks up there with the Philipino bishop Jaime Sin, who was also a Cardinal. Yup, he was Cardinal Sin.
                  Not to get off topic, but there used to be local businesses here, Isolda Real Estate and Lively Funeral Home.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

I think all rioters and looters should be rounded up and sent to New Zealand.

Comment

It took me 5 minutes to figure out how police could shoot anybody with a knife.

I thought you needed a gun to shoot somebody.
                      Actually...

You have things like ballistic knives that actually fire the blade itself

Ballistic_knife-01.jpg

Looks like a cheap version

And there are knives with a (usually single shot) firearm built into them like this:

nrs-2.jpg
                      NRS-2 ("Scout Firing Knife")

nrs-2b.jpg
                      Fired through the bottom of the handle

And of course throughout history there have been numerous gun-knife combinations but they don't really count here.

cutlass pistol54.jpg

knife-gun.jpg
                      A cutlass pistol and revolver knife

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Actually...

You have things like ballistic knives that actually fire the blade itself

Ballistic_knife-01.jpg

Looks like a cheap version

And there are knives with a (usually single shot) firearm built into them like this:

nrs-2.jpg
                        NRS-2 ("Scout Firing Knife")

nrs-2b.jpg
                        Fired through the bottom of the handle

And of course throughout history there have been numerous gun-knife combinations but they don't really count here.

cutlass pistol54.jpg

knife-gun.jpg
                        A cutlass pistol and revolver knife

You cut that out, now!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You cut that out, now!
                          I thought it was a cut above, but I guess I was just being too cleaver by half.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I thought it was a cut above, but I guess I was just being too cleaver by half.
                            I find your wit far too sharp for my liking.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Saw the video of the shooting, definitely justified. They even spent timebacking away repeatedly to give him more time to make an intelligent decision. Honestly more time than I would have given him if he came at me on the street with a knife.
                              but no surprise at the rioting. Hell, these things rooted in Minneapolis over a black dude killing himself on camera in public. They dont care about black lives or race. Only about sowing discord and overthrowing society.
                              Looking at video from Philly, it looks like looting was the goal. Today we riot, tonight we loot!

Comment

I find your wit far too sharp for my liking.
                                Maybe I could whittle my wit down?

Anywho, I gave it a shot. Thought it'd be a blast. But it backfired.

Comment