Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden Calls Donald Trump "George"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Joe Biden Calls Donald Trump "George"

    Joe Biden mixes up Donald Trump with George Bush


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0DRjlfvhw


  • #2
    This is the Joe we've all come know and expect.

    No one commented on this though: "Secondly, we’re in a situation where we have put together — and you’d [sic] guys, did it for our, the president Obama’s administration, before this — we have put together, I think, the most extensive and and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics."



    It starts at 19:10. And it seems like he was reading that. If that was a gaffe, what do y'all suppose he meant to say? Maybe it was sarcasm?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

    Comment


    • #3
      seanD, and Biden got confused and called President Trump Abraham Lincoln:

      https://megaphone.upworthy.com/p/bid...mp-abe-lincoln

      Clip: From President Trump: "Nobody has done more for the black community than Donald Trump... with the exception of Abraham Lincoln, possible exception, but with the exception of Abraham Lincoln, nobody has done what I've done," Trump added."

      Former Vice President Joe Biden responded with a jab at Trump, which the president didn't seem to get.

      "Abraham Lincoln here is one of the most racist presidents we've had in modern history,” Biden said of Trump. “He pours fuel on every single racist fire. Every single one.”

      Trump responded: "He made a reference to Abraham Lincoln, where did that come in?"

      "You said you're Abraham Lincoln," Biden responded.

      "No, no... I didn't say 'I'm Abraham Lincoln.'" Trump said. "I said, 'Not since Abraham Lincoln has anybody done what I've done for the Black community.'"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        Joe Biden mixes up Donald Trump with George Bush


        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj0DRjlfvhw
        It's just getting sad at this point. Clearly regressing back in time as his dementia continues to gain hold on his brain.

        Watch closely as he starts repeating "George". You can see Jill's lips moving as she mutters "Trump" to him, trying her hardest to say it to him to get him back on track, moving her mouth as little as possible.

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Biden meant 4 more years of the state of Georgia. He kept saying "Georgia, Georgia ..."

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            seanD, and Biden got confused and called President Trump Abraham Lincoln:

            https://megaphone.upworthy.com/p/bid...mp-abe-lincoln

            Clip: From President Trump: "Nobody has done more for the black community than Donald Trump... with the exception of Abraham Lincoln, possible exception, but with the exception of Abraham Lincoln, nobody has done what I've done," Trump added."

            Former Vice President Joe Biden responded with a jab at Trump, which the president didn't seem to get.

            "Abraham Lincoln here is one of the most racist presidents we've had in modern history,” Biden said of Trump. “He pours fuel on every single racist fire. Every single one.”

            Trump responded: "He made a reference to Abraham Lincoln, where did that come in?"

            "You said you're Abraham Lincoln," Biden responded.

            "No, no... I didn't say 'I'm Abraham Lincoln.'" Trump said. "I said, 'Not since Abraham Lincoln has anybody done what I've done for the Black community.'"
            Joe is now Corn Pop, beating himself up with pushups, out back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              It's just getting sad at this point. Clearly regressing back in time as his dementia continues to gain hold on his brain.

              Watch closely as he starts repeating "George". You can see Jill's lips moving as she mutters "Trump" to him, trying her hardest to say it to him to get him back on track, moving her mouth as little as possible.
              I'm wondering how the sign language interpreter dealt with it? Did she sign "George" too, or did she correct him in the translation?
              "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seanD View Post

                I'm wondering how the sign language interpreter dealt with it? Did she sign "George" too, or did she correct him in the translation?
                It's not an interpreter's place to try to correct the speaker, so if she was doing her job right, then she signed exactly what he said. I may have to watch, because now I'm curious.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God


                From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                Comment


                • #9
                  By the way, the spin I'm seeing is that Biden was supposedly referring to George Lopez who was interviewing him, but it's clear from the context that he was not referring to Lopez but Bush.

                  "Four more years of George, uh, George, uh, he, uh, we're gonna to find ourselves in a position of, uh, if Trump gets reelected, we're gonna be, uh, we're gonna be in a different world."
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God


                  From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                    It's not an interpreter's place to try to correct the speaker, so if she was doing her job right, then she signed exactly what he said. I may have to watch, because now I'm curious.
                    Okay, so I watched it, and she's at least a minute behind Joe. I assume she's interpreting from a remote location, so she probably isn't hearing Joe until about 30-seconds after he says something "live", and then her interpretation has to be sent back to the feed which likely adds another 30-second delay, plus the inherent lag time of the interpreter (they're usually a thought or two behind the speaker), so what you see her interpreting in the clip was something he had said probably 2-minutes earlier.

                    If you're curious, what the interpreter is saying something like (and I'm probably mangling this), "It's important. We have a list of different topics and ideas that have widespread support, and we're making a plan," and then, "I understand," which I assume was Lopez's response? I don't really know. I would have find the whole interview, and I really don't care to.

                    But my guess is that she didn't include "George". Her interpretation seems to be more minimalist and conceptual rather than "word for word", which actually is a valid interpreting technique. The primary goal of an ASL interpreter is to convey the speaker's ideas and not necessarily how they say it, and it's not unusual to discard the stumbles and bumbles of the speaker and simply summarize the point they're trying to make. Although I think in this case, how he's saying it is just as important as what he's saying,
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God


                    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

                      Okay, so I watched it, and she's at least a minute behind Joe. I assume she's interpreting from a remote location, so she probably isn't hearing Joe until about 30-seconds after he says something "live", and then her interpretation has to be sent back to the feed which likely adds another 30-second delay, plus the inherent lag time of the interpreter (they're usually a thought or two behind the speaker), so what you see her interpreting in the clip was something he had said probably 2-minutes earlier.

                      If you're curious, what the interpreter is saying something like (and I'm probably mangling this), "It's important. We have a list of different topics and ideas that have widespread support, and we're making a plan," and then, "I understand," which I assume was Lopez's response? I don't really know. I would have find the whole interview, and I really don't care to.

                      But my guess is that she didn't include "George". Her interpretation seems to be more minimalist and conceptual rather than "word for word", which actually is a valid interpreting technique. The primary goal of an ASL interpreter is to convey the speaker's ideas and not necessarily how they say it, and it's not unusual to discard the stumbles and bumbles of the speaker and simply summarize the point they're trying to make. Although I think in this case, how he's saying it is just as important as what he's saying,
                      That’s really cool that you can read sign language. Is sign language universal or does each country have their own signs? Sorry for off topic but just curious.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Watermelon View Post

                        That’s really cool that you can read sign language. Is sign language universal or does each country have their own signs? Sorry for off topic but just curious.
                        It's not universal. American Sign Language is used primarily in the US. Other countries that have their own sign language include France, Britain, Japan, China, Korea, and I think Australia has their own variant. There is a Universal Sign Language that was created some time ago and is trendy to use at international conferences for the deaf, but I don't think it's in wide use.

                        As for why I know ASL, I have a Deaf son and went to college for Sign Language Interpreting, but I've never done it professionally, and I'm way out of practice as far as interpreting goes.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God


                        From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          It's not universal. American Sign Language is used primarily in the US. Other countries that have their own sign language include France, Britain, Japan, China, Korea, and I think Australia has their own variant. There is a Universal Sign Language that was created some time ago and is trendy to use at international conferences for the deaf, but I don't think it's in wide use.
                          Sounds like sign-language Esperanto.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Trump always seemed like a bit of a George to me. The only person I've ever met by that name had serious mental disabilities. It fits.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              It's not universal. American Sign Language is used primarily in the US. Other countries that have their own sign language include France, Britain, Japan, China, Korea, and I think Australia has their own variant. There is a Universal Sign Language that was created some time ago and is trendy to use at international conferences for the deaf, but I don't think it's in wide use.

                              As for why I know ASL, I have a Deaf son and went to college for Sign Language Interpreting, but I've never done it professionally, and I'm way out of practice as far as interpreting goes.
                              I've heard there are even regional dialects of ASL.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                              Beige Nationalist.

                              "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                              Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Starlight, Yesterday, 11:51 PM
                              3 responses
                              15 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 07:32 PM
                              10 responses
                              46 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 06:22 PM
                              3 responses
                              33 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by firstfloor, Yesterday, 11:01 AM
                              24 responses
                              104 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by Ronson, Yesterday, 09:42 AM
                              15 responses
                              64 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X