Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden's favorite lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden's favorite lie?

Joe Biden referred to one of his favorite claims about himself during the first debate. It resulted in adulation from some in the MSM causing them to swoon and declare it was the best line of the night and really illustrated a sharp difference between him and that bad orange man.

For instance Politico’s Tim Alberta proclaimed that it was likely the "single-most effective line since he rode down the escalator." Over on CNN one of their political commentators, Tara Olivia Setmayer (who is also a contributor to ABC News) declared that it was an "excellent moment."

There is only one problem with it.

The claim is utterly false and has been repeatedly shown to be so going back several decades to when old Joe first started recounting his fairy tale. In fact when it was first uncovered as a lie it contributed to the scuttling of Biden's first failed presidential run back in the 1980s. Well, that and getting caught blatantly plagiarizing speeches. In fact the whole thing comes straight from one of the speeches he stole and he has apparently adopted it as part of his life.

Here is what he said that got them all so enamored:

"Guys like me, the first in my family to go to college... we are as good as anybody else, and guys like Trump, who inherited everything and squandered what they inherited, are the people I've always had a problem with"

Back in 1987 when Biden first claimed that he was the first member of his family to ever attend college he was quickly forced to backtrack and admit that was completely false. As the once esteemed New York Times put it:

Mr. Biden said … he had miscast some of his own forebears, painting them as having rather more humble origins than they in fact did. For example, borrowing Mr. Kinnock’s sentiments, Mr. Biden had said he was ‘the first in his family ever to go to university.’ In fact, Mr. Biden said today, ‘there are Finnegans, my mother’s family, that went to college.’

The title of the article says Biden claimed that his fake claim wasn't "malevolent" and while one may give him a pass on it then the problem is that since that time Biden has frequently repeated this admitted falsehood multiple times. For example the Washington Post chastised him for doing so in June of last year in a piece titled "Echoes of Biden’s 1987 plagiarism scandal continue to reverberate" noting that he is once again out there again saying things like "Why am I the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to be able to get to university?" and how at the end of a debate at the Iowa State Fair Biden was rhetorically asking "Why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university? . . . Is it because I’m the first Biden in a thousand generations to get a college and a graduate degree?" And of course he repeated the lie again at the debate.

Now, while the British politician (Neil Kinnock) who Biden had planarized and lifted biographical details from was indeed the first person in his family ever to attend college, the cold hard, indisputable truth is that Biden is hardly the first person in his family who went to and graduated from college. Some of those ancestors he typically describes as coal miners in order to emphasize his alleged humble origins were in fact not miners but college educated mining engineers.

Further, it isn't just the lie about his being the first person in his family ever to attend college. Biden has concocted an entire fantasy life around that lie, filled with numerous falsehoods utterly divorced from reality in order to make his college experience sound a lot more impressive.

Let's take a look at what he told a voter in New Hampshire about it back in 1987 when asked where he attended law school and where he placed in his class:

I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do, I suspect

That's how it began which shows something never change. Biden angrily lashes out at voters -- even supporters -- who have the temerity to ask him an unscripted question. Like when he yelled at a union worker at an auto assembly plant last March snarling "I don't work for you!" as he angrily wagged his finger at him. Or a few months earlier he furiously challenged a questioner to a push-up contest after catching himself as he called him "a fats-." One can only wonder how he intended on ending that.

Anywho, back to the 1987 quote.

I went to law school on a full academic scholarship, the only one in my — in my class to have a full academic scholarship. In the first year in law school I decided didn’t want to be in law school and ended up in the bottom two-thirds of my class, and then decided I wanted to stay, went back to law school, and in fact ended up in the top half of my class. I won the international moot-court competition. I was the outstanding student in the political science department at the end of my year. I graduated with three degrees from undergraduate school and 165 credits — I only needed 123 credits

Meanwhile, in the real world where facts count and your personal truth does not trump reality...
    • Biden did not receive a full academic scholarship as he falsely claimed, but rather got a half scholarship that was based on financial need
    • Biden did not end up in the top half of his class as he falsely claimed, but instead graduated near the very bottom.
    • Biden did not win the moot court competition as he falsely claimed. FWICT, I'm not even sure he even competed in it.
    • Biden did not receive the outstanding student award at the University of Delaware either as he falsely claimed.
    • Biden did not graduate with three degrees as he falsely claimed but rather with just one.

Oh. And he finished with yet another remark about comparing IQ's

And I’d be delighted to sit down and compare my IQ to yours if you’d like Frank.

Not long after those remarks, Biden was forced to concede it was all made up and shamefully dropped out of the race. But obviously he didn't learn or has actually convinced him that his concocted fantasies are true. Neither possibility bodes well.

Now, before anyone seeks to excuse Biden's continuing to lie about something that he even he has confessed was false by whining on about how Trump has also told a few stories about his relatives that aren't true, doing so just confirms that you are either missing or ignoring the point.

So let me spell it out.

The TDS crowd makes such a fuss about Trump's lying that one would think that they possess a knee jerk viscerally negative reaction against any politician behaving in the same manner -- especially one who after admitting that the story wasn't true yet still continues to regularly retell it again and again as if it were true.

I think it is accurate to say if you merely shrug and hand wave off Biden's serious issue with lying, then you are tacitly acknowledging that you really don't care about politicians being dishonest. Instead you are revealing that all you actually care about is finding something where you can cry about how bad the orange man is.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

If lying is a desirable and justifiable trait in a Republican politician, then it's fine in a Democrat, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      If lying is a desirable and justifiable trait in a Republican politician, then it's fine in a Democrat, too.
      If lying is a desirable and justifiable trait in a Democrat politician, then it's fine in a Republican, too
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Now, before anyone seeks to excuse Biden's continuing to lie about something that he even he has confessed was false by whining on about how Trump has also told a few stories about his relatives that aren't true, doing so just confirms that you are either missing or ignoring the point.

So let me spell it out.

The TDS crowd makes such a fuss about Trump's lying that one would think that they possess a knee jerk viscerally negative reaction against any politician behaving in the same manner -- especially one who after admitting that the story wasn't true yet still continues to regularly retell it again and again as if it were true.

I think it is accurate to say if you merely shrug and hand wave off Biden's serious issue with lying, then you are tacitly acknowledging that you really don't care about politicians being dishonest. Instead you are revealing that all you actually care about is finding something where you can cry about how bad the orange man is.
        Your honor may I present Exhibit A?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Last night he was telling some tale about growing up near some oil plant and having oil slicks on their windshields in the morning. I wonder it that was a lie too?

Biden: I used to live near that when I was growing up in Claymont, Delaware and there are more oil refineries in Marcus Hook and the Delaware River than there is any place, including in Houston at the time. When my mom get in the car and when there are first frost to drive me to school, turning the windshield wiper, there’d been oil slick in the window. That’s why so many people in my state were dying and getting cancer.
          Last edited by Sparko; 10-23-2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Were colleges even a thing a thousand generations ago?

Because, like, a generation is considered 20-40 years, so that many times a thousand means that Biden can trace his family tree farther than any Mormon can.
            Last edited by mossrose; 10-23-2020, 08:41 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So, you let Trump set your standards?

Comment

Your honor may I present Exhibit A?
                Keep pretending you have moral/ethical standards that you apply evenly; it's cute.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Were colleges even a thing a thousand generations ago?

Because, like, a generation is considered 20-40 years, so that many times a thousand means that Biden can trace his family tree farther than any Mormon can.
                  Obvious hyperbole of the same type that Trump often employs.

Comment

Keep pretending you have moral/ethical standards that you apply evenly; it's cute.
                    Keep stepping in it. I can count on you.

Comment

Keep stepping in it.
                      In your hypocrisy? My God man, none of us can avoid it; the stuff is everywhere!

If Trump's lies are justifiable/ignorable, then so are Biden's.

According to your "morality".

Comment

Guess now Biden is Puerto Rican. who knew?

""We have a very… large Puerto Rican population in Delaware," he said. "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-pue...urricane-fiona

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Guess now Biden is Puerto Rican. who knew?

""We have a very… large Puerto Rican population in Delaware," he said. "I was sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-pue...urricane-fiona
                          picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

They are now literally rolling out every time he speaks.

Comment

picardfacepalmthumb.jpg

They are now literally rolling out every time he speaks.
                            It's confabulation. A common thing among those with dementia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It's confabulation. A common thing among those with dementia.
                              Much more than that.

At every event his staff has to rush out and clean up his mess. Whether it was walking back ad-libbed statements about such powder kegs like Russia, Ukraine, the Nord Stream pipeline, or Taiwan, or cleaning up after one of his Walter Mittyesque reminisces, you can't go a week without the latest incident inevitably popping up. I mean, how many times now has he got lost without trying? Several times he got lost while standing on a stage after giving a speech some times after appearing to shake imaginary hands or gesture to invisible staff.

When's the next “end of quote, repeat the line” off the teleprompter? Or getting spotted with cue cards designed for a none-too-bright kindergartener?

Comment