Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mike Pompeo 'Regularly' Used Personal Email While Director of CIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    It wasn't an illegal server.

Why would she expect to receive classified communications by way of unclassified email?

I don't believe she instructed her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings before forwarding messages.

I don't know that she deleted her emails after she was ordered by law enforcement to turn the data over. (I'll grant that it's possible, but it certainly hasn't been proved.)

In your uninformed opinion.
    We know the server was illegal because you are not allowed to pass classified information through a system that is not explicitly authorized for that purpose by the appropriate government agencies. Seeing how Hillary's server was secret and lacked even the most basic safeguards to prevent foreign interests from monitoring it in real time, it clearly did not meet the standards established by law.

And seeing how Hillary absolutely did instruct her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings means that she was well aware that her janky email system would be used to send and receive sensitive information. Furthermore, as Secretary of State, she was fully briefed on the handling of classified information and was well aware that what was doing was a violation of security protocols.

We also know she deleted 30,000 emails which she claimed were "private", but since she went above and beyond to render the data unrecoverable, I guess we'll just have to take her word for it. Do you believe her? Because I sure don't.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/a-...intons-emails/
      Did Clinton’s emails contain classified information?

Yes. More than 2,000 of the 30,490 emails Clinton turned over to the State Department in December 2014 contained classified information, including 110 emails in 52 email chains that contained classified information at the time they were sent or received, Comey said. The FBI director said “a very small number” of the emails containing classified information “bore markings indicating the presence of classified information,” contrary to Clinton’s claims that none was marked classified.
      None of them were properly marked classified. Portion markings on an unclassified document can be easily overlooked. (A (TS) might stand out, but there were none.) Or maybe she noticed the portion markings, and realized that they no longer applied, and promptly forgot about them.

“Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of the classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information,” Comey said.
      True, there were at least 38 people who put classified information into unclassified emails, primarily for the purpose of expediency. I haven't seen any indication that Hillary was one of them, though I suppose she might have been. Accounts indicate that the State Department had been pretty sloppy about handling classified information since long before Hillary got there.

Comment

None of them were properly marked classified. Portion markings on an unclassified document can be easily overlooked. (A (TS) might stand out, but there were none.) Or maybe she noticed the portion markings, and realized that they no longer applied, and promptly forgot about them.

True, there were at least 38 people who put classified information into unclassified emails, primarily for the purpose of expediency. I haven't seen any indication that Hillary was one of them, though I suppose she might have been. Accounts indicate that the State Department had been pretty sloppy about handling classified information since long before Hillary got there.
        Unfortunately, the claim made was this:

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          We know the server was illegal because you are not allowed to pass classified information through a system that is not explicitly authorized for that purpose by the appropriate government agencies. Seeing how Hillary's server was secret and lacked even the most basic safeguards to prevent foreign interests from monitoring it in real time, it clearly did not meet the standards established by law.
          The server might not have met some regulations, but simply having it did not break any laws. Perhaps the word you were looking for is "illicit".

And seeing how Hillary absolutely did instruct her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings means that she was well aware that her janky email system would be used to send and receive sensitive information. Furthermore, as Secretary of State, she was fully briefed on the handling of classified information and was well aware that what was doing was a violation of security protocols.
          What your source says is that she sometimes instructed them to send her the unclassified portions of classified documents. Back before portion markings became required for all classified documents, that would have been pretty risky, since someone might have sent something that he thought was unclassified, but was really classified. That wasn't the case during Hillary's tenure.

We also know she deleted 30,000 emails which she claimed were "private", but since she went above and beyond to render the data unrecoverable, I guess we'll just have to take her word for it. Do you believe her? Because I sure don't.
          As of now, I have no good reason to believe she's lying.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
            Unfortunately, the claim made was this:
            That wasn't the claim that I was responding to. I agree that there was classified information on Hillary's server. I just don't think she necessarily knew about it.

Comment

As of now, I have no good reason to believe she's lying.
              Sure, you can keep your head buried up your backside and ignore the facts if you want.

Comment

Sure, you can keep your head buried up your backside and ignore the facts if you want.
                Projection.

Comment

And now we come to the "I know you are, but what am I?" portion of our program.

Comment

And now we come to the "I know you are, but what am I?" portion of our program.
                    Yeah, and we'll probably stay there until you pull your head out and come up with a good reason for people to believe there was something non-private in those 30,000 emails.

Comment