Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mike Pompeo 'Regularly' Used Personal Email While Director of CIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

That's not how this works, brother. You can conduct UNCLASSIFIED official business. You may not create or send official records using a non-official electronic message account unless you cc an official account or forward it to an official account “not later than 20 days” after it was created.
    I stand corrected. I meant classified material would compromise security, not something like "Hey dude, glad to see you back at work."

But as standard practice, people who deal with security matters shouldn't use anything other than a secured email system for work - regardless of individual email content. Mistakes can be made.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I stand corrected. I meant classified material would compromise security, not something like "Hey dude, glad to see you back at work."

But as standard practice, people who deal with security matters shouldn't use anything other than a secured email system for work - regardless of individual email content. Mistakes can be made.
      That's the purpose of the cc or the forward. So the record auditors can make sure they don't.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Are you going to condemn Pompeo's actions? Or take the same line as the Democrats you criticise?
        It really depends on what type of material he was sending through private email. Schedules doesn't sound like a big deal. Classified information does. Why haven't the democrats condemned Clinton for sending classified material through a server she had in a closet? But they are ready to jump on Pompeo for sending a schedule through to his private email? Sounds like a double standard.

Comment

What do you know about US Government record keeping regulations? Pretty much nothing.
          I might make the same observation concerning your knowledge of the history of your religion.

However, my question was about parity and probity. Clinton was vilified with chants to "Lock her up". So, if it is sauce for the goose is it sauce for the gander?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I might make the same observation concerning your knowledge of the history of your religion.

You'd be blatantly wrong though.

However, my question was about parity and probity. Clinton was vilified with chants to "Lock her up". So, if it is sauce for the goose is it sauce for the gander?
            Considering the two were wholly different situations legally, you're comparing geese and pencil erasers.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Why haven't the democrats condemned Clinton for sending classified material through a server she had in a closet?
              Just a friendly reminder there were no at-the-time classified secrets on Clinton's email server.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                If he conducted official business on his personal email, then yes, there should be consequences. He compromised US security.
                It depends on the nature of the emails, and whether or not he was authorized to use that account for non-classified communication.

The thing that liberals love to forget is that the reason Hillary's email server is such a big deal is because, first of all, it was secret; secondly, it was unsecure and basically wide open to any foreign government who wanted to login and take a peek; and third, she used the server for sending and receiving classified information.

So unless all or some of that also applies to Pompeo, there is no analogous circumstance here.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You'd be blatantly wrong though.
                  Well I recall a convenient exit.

Considering the two were wholly different situations legally, you're comparing geese and pencil erasers.
                  In what respects? Why is one acceptable and the other not?

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Just a friendly reminder.....This is wrong.

There were paragraphs marked with paragraph markings (c) (s) (ts) that identified those paragraphs as classified.

Comment

False.

Source: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2016/jul/06/hillary-clinton/fbi-findings-tear-holes-hillary-clintons-email-def/

​​​​​​​In total, the investigation found 110 emails in 52 email chains containing information that was classified at the time it was sent or received. Eight chains contained top secret information, the highest level of classification, 36 chains contained secret information, and the remaining eight contained confidential information. Most of these emails, however, did not contain markings clearly delineating their status.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well I recall a convenient exit.
                        It's called work. And my bills don't get paid by tracking down every book and scholar you cite. So, I decided after my assessment was over to let it go. You'll never convince me and I'll never convince you. I know what I have read and studied, and it doesn't align with what you believe. So, I'm dropping this sidecar.

In what respects? Why is one acceptable and the other not?
                        Transmitting classified information via non-classified networks is illegal. Transmitting unclassified information isn't, unless it can be aggregated with other unclassified material into something that rises to the level of secret. Nothing Pompeo has been accused of in the OP remotely rises to the level of secret information.
                        That's what
                        - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Just a friendly reminder.....This is wrong.

There were paragraphs marked with paragraph markings (c) (s) (ts) that identified those paragraphs as classified.
                          Also, Hillary instructed her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings from emails before forwarding them.

Comment

False.

Source: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2016/jul/06/hillary-clinton/fbi-findings-tear-holes-hillary-clintons-email-def/

In total, the investigation found 110 emails in 52 email chains containing information that was classified at the time it was sent or received. Eight chains contained top secret information, the highest level of classification, 36 chains contained secret information, and the remaining eight contained confidential information. Most of these emails, however, did not contain markings clearly delineating their status.

© Copyright Original Source

And aren't certain communications considered classified by default even without explicit markings?

Comment

It's called work. And my bills don't get paid by tracking down every book and scholar you cite. So, I decided after my assessment was over to let it go. You'll never convince me and I'll never convince you. I know what I have read and studied, and it doesn't align with what you believe. So, I'm dropping this sidecar.
                              You are correct. I was just teasing you!

Transmitting classified information via non-classified networks is illegal. Transmitting unclassified information isn't, unless it can be aggregated with other unclassified material into something that rises to the level of secret. Nothing Pompeo has been accused of in the OP remotely rises to the level of secret information.
                              Oh so that is the difference as far as anyone knows? Thank you.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                And aren't certain communications considered classified by default even without explicit markings?
                                It's not "certain communications" it's simply a fact. Markings don't create classification, they label it. To use a clear example, if the menu, preparation, ingredients, and guests of the presidents meals is a classified topic, then any communication about that topic, by those with knowledge of the topic, is classified, whether appropriately marked or not. I know that largely lines up with what you said, but it's different. It's never classified because someone slapped a a label on it, it's classified because its classified, and then someone labels it to highlight the classification.

Comment