Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mike Pompeo 'Regularly' Used Personal Email While Director of CIA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Stoic View Post

    Yes, IF the document is properly marked classified, then you can assume that the (C) means that the particular paragraph is Confidential. Otherwise, for all you know it was copied from a document where the paragraphs were labeled (A), (B), and (C).



    That was the classification when the original document was created. By the time it made it into an email, it was no longer classified. (i.e., it is not the case that once something is classified, it is always classified)
    Where's your evidence that it was no longer classified at the time of entry. You seem straining here to come up with a reason to justify your incorrect post.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Stoic View Post

      Name one.
      Kristian Saucier

      Okay, he's not currently in jail, but he was in prison for a year for taking six photos while aboard a submarine, which is considered "confidential/restricted" information, the lowest level of classification. He never even showed the pictures to anybody. They were discovered when his supervisor happened to look at his phone. Saucier could have been sentenced for up to 8 years but the judge said he was a good kid who just had a moment of stupidity.

      In contrast, Hillary as Secretary of State operated an unauthorized, unsecured private server that trafficked countless highly classified secrets that were intercepted by our enemies. For instance, it was discovered that a state owned Chinese company had real time access to every single email sent and received on Hillary's server. Heck, they were probably reading the emails before Hillary even knew they were in her inbox.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God


      From "Fools Gold" by Petra

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
        Where's your evidence that it was no longer classified at the time of entry. You seem straining here to come up with a reason to justify your incorrect post.
        Source: https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/revisiting-clinton-and-classified-information/

        Kirby confirmed the Times report but then said it appears that in both instances the markings were the result of “human error” during the development of “call sheets,” which are memos that contain information that can be used when talking to foreign leaders. The department marks a portion of the call sheets as “confidential” — the lowest level of classified information — until the secretary makes a decision whether or not to call the foreign leaders. He explained that this is done to give the secretary time to make a decision and to avoid potential embarrassment if it turns out that the secretary decides not to call the foreign leader.

        © Copyright Original Source

        (Emphasis mine)

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Stoic View Post

          Source: https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/revisiting-clinton-and-classified-information/

          Kirby confirmed the Times report but then said it appears that in both instances the markings were the result of “human error” during the development of “call sheets,” which are memos that contain information that can be used when talking to foreign leaders. The department marks a portion of the call sheets as “confidential” — the lowest level of classified information — until the secretary makes a decision whether or not to call the foreign leaders. He explained that this is done to give the secretary time to make a decision and to avoid potential embarrassment if it turns out that the secretary decides not to call the foreign leader.

          © Copyright Original Source

          (Emphasis mine)
          There are still unanswered questions. We don’t know anything about the third email that Comey said was improperly marked classified, for example. We’ll update this item if more information becomes available.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

            Kristian Saucier

            Okay, he's not currently in jail, but he was in prison for a year for taking six photos while aboard a submarine, which is considered "confidential/restricted" information, the lowest level of classification. He never even showed the pictures to anybody. They were discovered when his supervisor happened to look at his phone. Saucier could have been sentenced for up to 8 years but the judge said he was a good kid who just had a moment of stupidity.

            In contrast, Hillary as Secretary of State operated an unauthorized, unsecured private server that trafficked countless highly classified secrets that were intercepted by our enemies. For instance, it was discovered that a state owned Chinese company had real time access to every single email sent and received on Hillary's server. Heck, they were probably reading the emails before Hillary even knew they were in her inbox.
            Saucier knew that what he did was illegal. Even if he hadn't admitted it, it was obvious from the fact that he destroyed his computer, his camera, and an SD card after he was interviewed by the FBI. (And it wasn't his supervisor, it was the supervisor of the town dump in Hampton, Connecticut.)

            In contrast, there is no reason to believe that Hillary knew that there was any classified information on her server.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

              There are still unanswered questions. We don’t know anything about the third email that Comey said was improperly marked classified, for example. We’ll update this item if more information becomes available.
              Sure. But until then, we have no reason to believe the third email would be any more incriminating than the first two.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                So you disagree with the State Department as to whether these people should be charged. That's fine, but I'm looking for a reason to believe the State Department is wrong.
                The law is arguably pretty clear in this instance. But it is up to the DoJ to charge and prosecute. They whiffed. They were wrong.


                Neither of those cases is equivalent to someone putting some classified information into an unclassified email and sending it to someone who is authorized to receive that classified information.

                (I'm not arguing that this is an acceptable practice, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's the sort of thing anyone has ever been criminally charged for.)
                The overall principle is applicable. Classified data typically starts out on classified systems. Someone had to transport it from the classified system to Sec. Clinton's unclassified and uncontrolled system. The cases I mentioned above were 2 people who transported classified material from the classified network to a private unclassified system, just like Sec. Clinton.
                That's what
                - She

                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                Stephen R. Donaldson

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                  Yes, IF the document is properly marked classified, then you can assume that the (C) means that the particular paragraph is Confidential. Otherwise, for all you know it was copied from a document where the paragraphs were labeled (A), (B), and (C).



                  That was the classification when the original document was created. By the time it made it into an email, it was no longer classified. (i.e., it is not the case that once something is classified, it is always classified)
                  The investigation confirmed that the material under the paragraph marking (C) was in fact confidential.
                  That's what
                  - She

                  Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                  I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  Stephen R. Donaldson

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

                    The investigation confirmed that the material under the paragraph marking (C) was in fact confidential.
                    It had been confidential, but was not at the time the email was sent.

                    https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/re...d-information/

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                      Saucier knew that what he did was illegal. Even if he hadn't admitted it, it was obvious from the fact that he destroyed his computer, his camera, and an SD card after he was interviewed by the FBI. (And it wasn't his supervisor, it was the supervisor of the town dump in Hampton, Connecticut.)

                      In contrast, there is no reason to believe that Hillary knew that there was any classified information on her server.
                      Come on, she was Secretary of State conducting all of her business on her illegal server, and you're trying to tell me that she didn't think she would ever receive classified communications? So why did she instruct her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings before forwarding messages? And why did she delete over 30,000 emails and scrub the hard drives with Bleach Bit after she was ordered by law enforcement to turn the data over?

                      Seriously, claiming that Hillary was naive and ignorant is an absurd defense. She was Secretary of State dealing with some the most sensitive and highly classified national security secrets in the country. She knew exactly what she was doing, and she knew it was dangerous and against the law.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God


                      From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        The law is arguably pretty clear in this instance. But it is up to the DoJ to charge and prosecute. They whiffed. They were wrong.
                        State Department policy evidently does not include referring people for prosecution if they knowingly introduce classified information to an unclassified network. I'm not a lawyer, but this suggests to me that it isn't all that clear.

                        The overall principle is applicable. Classified data typically starts out on classified systems. Someone had to transport it from the classified system to Sec. Clinton's unclassified and uncontrolled system. The cases I mentioned above were 2 people who transported classified material from the classified network to a private unclassified system, just like Sec. Clinton.
                        The cases you mentioned involved downloading classified information to media, or printing it out, and physically carrying it out of the secure areas. To my knowledge, none of the 38 people implicated by Hillary's emails did that. They simply wrote emails and included information that they knew (or should have known) to be classified. The exception is those 3 emails that contained paragraphs with portion marking, which were evidently copy/pasted from classified call sheets.

                        As for Hillary herself, I don't know that she originated any of these classified emails, or that she knew any of the emails that she forwarded contained classified information.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Come on, she was Secretary of State conducting all of her business on her illegal server,
                          It wasn't an illegal server.

                          and you're trying to tell me that she didn't think she would ever receive classified communications?
                          Why would she expect to receive classified communications by way of unclassified email?

                          So why did she instruct her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings before forwarding messages?
                          I don't believe she instructed her staff on how to identify and remove classified markings before forwarding messages.

                          And why did she delete over 30,000 emails and scrub the hard drives with Bleach Bit after she was ordered by law enforcement to turn the data over?
                          I don't know that she deleted her emails after she was ordered by law enforcement to turn the data over. (I'll grant that it's possible, but it certainly hasn't been proved.)

                          Seriously, claiming that Hillary was naive and ignorant is an absurd defense. She was Secretary of State dealing with some the most sensitive and highly classified national security secrets in the country. She knew exactly what she was doing, and she knew it was dangerous and against the law.
                          In your uninformed opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Seriously, claiming that Hillary was naive and ignorant is an absurd defense. She was Secretary of State dealing with some the most sensitive and highly classified national security secrets in the country. She knew exactly what she was doing, and she knew it was dangerous and against the law.
                            It's pointless arguing with a cultist, but there are others here who might listen.

                            Hillary Clinton, by all accounts, struggles with technology even more than the average boomer. You make her sound like some sort of IT super-genius. The reality was she was an ignorant boomer who just wanted her email to work, and was surrounded by yes-men who tried to make that happen for her. Nothing much happened that was outside of what had happened under previous Secretaries of State.

                            The Republican psychopaths in congress did 8 investigations into Benghazi just to give them an excuse for digging to try to find a scandal or something to manufacture into a scandal, and they had to make do with "Clinton once sent some emails", which was all a bit pathetic. "Something something, her emails, lock her up!" Sounds fine at a rally, not so fine as a logical argument. Funnily enough, 4 years into Trump's administration, Clinton's not locked up, she hasn't been charged with anything, and there's not even any suggestion that she might be. Because the whole thing was BS to fool the gullible voter base to begin with. Congrats on being among the most gullible.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                              I'd agree with you but then we both would be morons.

                              Simple question: Was any of the stuff sent to his personal emails classified? That was the issue with Hillary's use of a private server. If not this is the epitome of a nothing burger.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                                It had been confidential, but was not at the time the email was sent.

                                https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/re...d-information/
                                https://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/a-...intons-emails/
                                Did Clinton’s emails contain classified information?

                                Yes. More than 2,000 of the 30,490 emails Clinton turned over to the State Department in December 2014 contained classified information, including 110 emails in 52 email chains that contained classified information at the time they were sent or received, Comey said. The FBI director said “a very small number” of the emails containing classified information “bore markings indicating the presence of classified information,” contrary to Clinton’s claims that none was marked classified.

                                “Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of the classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information,” Comey said.

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Juvenal, Today, 04:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                4 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Juvenal
                                by Juvenal
                                 
                                Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 06:20 PM
                                9 responses
                                43 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Juvenal
                                by Juvenal
                                 
                                Started by shunyadragon, Yesterday, 06:10 PM
                                3 responses
                                31 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NorrinRadd  
                                Started by Thoughtful Monk, Yesterday, 11:36 AM
                                13 responses
                                51 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post NorrinRadd  
                                Started by Charles, Yesterday, 09:40 AM
                                27 responses
                                187 views
                                1 like
                                Last Post LiconaFan97  
                                Working...
                                X