Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Borat's Gotcha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Okay I've seen it now.

From beginning to end it's a full scale satirical take-down of Republicans in general and Trump-supporters in particular, with a release clearly timed for the election.

The Rudy sketch is relatively minor, and honestly, he comes off as quite gracious. To the prurient-minded, I should also mention there's no doubt he was tucking in his shirt with a quick hand movement pushing in and pulling out right where his shirt tail would be. With Rudy suddenly in the news due to the NY Post story, it made economic sense to highlight his involvement.
    Having now seen the film myself, I would agree. However, the back patting and asking for her phone number and address was interesting.

Re your comment on the monkey, what about the Father and Daughter ball?

That really pushed the boundaries.

Leave a comment:

• Electric Skeptic
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

At twenty four years old she is still young enough to be his grand-daughter. A lecherous old man perhaps?
    Virtually all men, given the opportunity, would qualify as 'lecherous' if 'lecherous' means being sexually attracted to someone many years younger than they.

Leave a comment:

• Electric Skeptic
    replied

The question is, did Giuliani know she was twenty-four years old? The character she was playing is supposed to be a lot younger.

Furthermore why does a man of 76 years of age want to go to the hotel room and recline on the bed of a woman girl [even a woman of 24] who is young enough to be his grand-daughter?
    With regard to the last question...are you kidding?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Is that the best you can manage?
    Absolutely not. I mean I could have agreed with you but that would just make us both wrong.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

And you write comments that would be ridiculed as the musings of a "snowflake" were they posted by someone who was deemed "liberal" or "progressive".
    You can call me what you want. I'm just pointing out your biases. Your "ick" factor doesn't matter to two consenting adults.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Oh I forgot. No foreigner must ever criticise the United States of America.
    Oh, you are free to criticize the US of A. But, just be prepared for people to recognize that your actions tend to be similar to white people who always find faults in blacks.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

It is only their opinion. It is not carved in stone.
    You are right, it is their opinion. But, you should at least be able to accurately talk about what their opinion is instead of creating a strawman version of it.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I gotta say though, your anti-americanism is showing again.
    Oh I forgot. No foreigner must ever criticise the United States of America.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

And, you opinion is ageist.
    And you write comments that would be ridiculed as the musings of a "snowflake" were they posted by someone who was deemed "liberal" or "progressive".

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied

You completely mis-stated what they claimed. They claimed that this person would not pass for 15, not the other way around.
    It is only their opinion. It is not carved in stone.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The entire premise of your OP with its sordid implications rapidly deflates into a stinky pile of crap.
    Is that the best you can manage?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Personally, I have never in my life seen a 15-year old that could be mistaken for a 24-year old, or a 24-year old that could be mistaken for 15.
    In your opinion.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There is a distinct physical difference between adult women and young girls. 15 or 16 passing as 18? Sure. But 24? No way.
    In your opinion.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Ah, details. That helps. Looked it up, an exercise you'd be advised to try yourself sometime, maybe before you post, and certainly before you post toward me. I take it amiss when a poster with a reputation for dishonesty wastes my time proving it again. What you're saying didn't happen. The Center for Medical Progress never pretended to be engaged in journalism. You reworked that to create an equivalence with Borat. The CMP didn't get signed releases either.
    I'm currently watching an episode of the failed Saturday Night Politics With Donny Deutsch on MSNBC (cancelled after 13 episodes) on my DVR where Deutsch says they masqueraded as journalists, while discussing a then just released video by O'Keefe, but in reality it appears they actually posed as fetal researchers for a fake company called Biomax.

Serves me right for trusting the MSM for information. Especially anything from MSNBC.

Editorial: Felony charges are a disturbing overreach for the duo behind the Planned Parenthood sting videos
    In this case, we don’t believe the videos revealed any wrongdoing on the part of Planned Parenthood. Nothing in the activists’ recordings proved that anyone was trafficking in fetal tissue. Nor is there any public policy that needs to be changed. A woman’s right to an abortion is well established, even if some like Daleiden continue to wish it away. And important research into the science of numerous illnesses and diseases is done with stem cells obtained from fetal tissue. The public policy in the U.S. on the use of this tissue is sound. Fetal tissue may not be sold or bought.

There's this thing called reputation, rouge. Yours is in the red.
    Wow. Color me surprised that the LA Times are big time supporters of abortion. I probably should have realized it when I quoted them saying that PP's policies were sound and popular.

Nevertheless they still condemned the gross overreach by the California Attorney General in filing 15 felony charges, or are you claiming otherwise?

Hard to tell with the irrelevant quote you provided.

Not finding anything like that, either, but I'd imagine the mud you're using for memory is trying to remember this.

2 Activists Who Secretly Recorded Planned Parenthood Face New Felony Charges
    Last year, a grand jury in Texas was examining Daleiden's allegations. The grand jury determined there was no sign of criminal wrongdoing by Planned Parenthood.

Instead, in a surprise twist, it indicted Daleiden and Merritt on felony charges of using fake drivers licenses to gain access to a Planned Parenthood meeting. They also indicted Daleiden on misdemeanor charges of trying to buy human tissue — the kind of misconduct he was trying to pin on Planned Parenthood.

Those charges were dismissed: the misdemeanor on technical grounds, and the felonies after lawyers argued the grand jury didn't have the authority to bring charges so different from their original mandate.

Just put me on your ignore list. Like Veritas, translated from Pravda, your claims never check out. I'm here for the conversation, not to act as your gratis fact-checker. There's no possibility of having a meaningful conversation with you because all conversations have to start out by debunking lies and misrepresentations. I don't have to do that with other posters.

Or you could resign from staff so I can do it myself. That'd work too.
    Not sure if that's the case or not so it is hard to comment upon except to say that reporters routinely present false credentials when conducting undercover sting investigations. They've never been charged with a crime for doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'm talking about when some of his people at Project Veritas were charged with 15 felonies by California State Attorney General Xavier Becerra after they posed as reporters and exposed Planned Parenthood executives rather ghoulishly quibbling over compensation for baby parts from abortions.
    Ah, details. That helps. Looked it up, an exercise you'd be advised to try yourself sometime, maybe before you post, and certainly before you post toward me. I take it amiss when a poster with a reputation for dishonesty wastes my time proving it again. What you're saying didn't happen. The Center for Medical Progress never pretended to be engaged in journalism. You reworked that to create an equivalence with Borat. The CMP didn't get signed releases either.

Even the reliably liberal Los Angeles Times called this out saying "It's disturbingly aggressive for Becerra to apply this criminal statute to people who were trying to influence a contested issue of public policy, regardless of how sound or popular that policy may be" noting that if they had done anything wrong the proper recourse would be a civil lawsuit -- not threatening those involved with jail.
    Editorial: Felony charges are a disturbing overreach for the duo behind the Planned Parenthood sting videos
    In this case, we don’t believe the videos revealed any wrongdoing on the part of Planned Parenthood. Nothing in the activists’ recordings proved that anyone was trafficking in fetal tissue. Nor is there any public policy that needs to be changed. A woman’s right to an abortion is well established, even if some like Daleiden continue to wish it away. And important research into the science of numerous illnesses and diseases is done with stem cells obtained from fetal tissue. The public policy in the U.S. on the use of this tissue is sound. Fetal tissue may not be sold or bought.

There's this thing called reputation, rouge. Yours is in the red.

IIRC, there was also a similar case in Texas involving a local DA.
    Not finding anything like that, either, but I'd imagine the mud you're using for memory is trying to remember this.

2 Activists Who Secretly Recorded Planned Parenthood Face New Felony Charges
    Last year, a grand jury in Texas was examining Daleiden's allegations. The grand jury determined there was no sign of criminal wrongdoing by Planned Parenthood.

Instead, in a surprise twist, it indicted Daleiden and Merritt on felony charges of using fake drivers licenses to gain access to a Planned Parenthood meeting. They also indicted Daleiden on misdemeanor charges of trying to buy human tissue — the kind of misconduct he was trying to pin on Planned Parenthood.

Those charges were dismissed: the misdemeanor on technical grounds, and the felonies after lawyers argued the grand jury didn't have the authority to bring charges so different from their original mandate.

Just put me on your ignore list. Like Veritas, translated from Pravda, your claims never check out. I'm here for the conversation, not to act as your gratis fact-checker. There's no possibility of having a meaningful conversation with you because all conversations have to start out by debunking lies and misrepresentations. I don't have to do that with other posters.

Or you could resign from staff so I can do it myself. That'd work too.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Thanks, hadn't heard about that. Let's go look.

ACORN filmmaker James O’Keefe sentenced in Sen. Mary Landrieu break-in
    Conservative filmmaker James O’Keefe was sentenced to three years of probation, 100 hours of community service and a $1,500 fine after he pleaded guilty on Wednesday to misdemeanor charges stemming from his involvement in a break-in at Sen. Mary Landrieu’s (D-La.) office.

In January, O’Keefe and three others were arrested by federal authorities at Landrieu’s office on allegations of phone-tampering.

Nope, that doesn't seem to be it.

Florida bars Project Veritas founder James O’Keefe from fundraising due to criminal conviction
    James O’Keefe, the conservative founder of a charity that specializes in undercover videos targeting journalists and liberals, has been personally barred from seeking donations in Florida due to his criminal record, officials said.

Dang, where is this thing.

A woman approached The Post with dramatic — and false — tale about Roy Moore. She appears to be part of undercover sting operation.
    The Post did not publish an article based on her unsubstantiated account. When Post reporters confronted her with inconsistencies in her story and an Internet posting that raised doubts about her motivations, she insisted that she was not working with any organization that targets journalists.

But on Monday morning, Post reporters saw her walking into the New York offices of Project Veritas, an organization that targets the mainstream news media and left-leaning groups. The organization sets up undercover “stings” that involve using false cover stories and covert video recordings meant to expose what the group says is media bias.

Okay, I give up.

Not finding anyone charging him with fraud, Barbra.

You sure you've got your facts straight?
    Are you sure you aren't being deliberately misleading by ignoring what I specifically mentioned and instead tried to misdirect attention elsewhere?

I'm talking about when some of his people at Project Veritas were charged with 15 felonies by California State Attorney General Xavier Becerra after they posed as reporters and exposed Planned Parenthood executives rather ghoulishly quibbling over compensation for baby parts from abortions. Even the reliably liberal Los Angeles Times called this out saying "It’s disturbingly aggressive for Becerra to apply this criminal statute to people who were trying to influence a contested issue of public policy, regardless of how sound or popular that policy may be" noting that if they had done anything wrong the proper recourse would be a civil lawsuit -- not threatening those involved with jail.

IIRC, there was also a similar case in Texas involving a local DA.

Leave a comment: