Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Borat's Gotcha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

She's an actress not a model
    Because that distinction is critical here, right?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      That sounds like someone giving a high-profile politician a pass on a potentially devastating sex scandal, for no other obvious reason than partisanship.

Why in the world would you believe what Giuliana says about it? At a minimum, a reasonable Republican/Libertarian would note that the images look damning, regardless of anything anyone is actually saying about the incident...
      How is an older man being attracted to a hot 24-year old who was apparently coming on to him a "devastating sex scandal"?

Comment

The question is, did Giuliani know she was twenty-four years old? The character she was playing is supposed to be a lot younger.

Furthermore why does a man of 76 years of age want to go to the hotel room and recline on the bed of a woman girl [even a woman of 24] who is young enough to be his grand-daughter?
        The image is of him tucking his shirt back in after having removed the microphone wires from beneath his shirt.....

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          Did he think she was under-age? It doesn't matter if he thought she was 18, 19, 20. Its if he thought she was under-age, then its criminal.
          I am not disputing the legality if he recognised her age.

*again, assuming that he was trying to sleep with her.
          Well he is shown lying prone on the bed. Stephen Colbert notes [after we have listened to Guiliani's explanation] "OK I would buy that but I've watched the footage. Why would you go into a bedroom at the suggestion of a young woman to have cocktails to take off a mic?

Colbert also notes that he takes a mic off every night but does not recline on a bed to do so. However, on Monday Baron Cohen is appearing with Colbert and the scene is due to be shown in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXx-...ature=youtu.be
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The image is of him tucking his shirt back in after having removed the microphone wires from beneath his shirt.....
            Well she's already called it "distasteful", consider calling two women sleeping together "distasteful" Considering her and her "committed", i'm not sure she would like that.

Comment

I suspect you support and endorse the uncontrolled capitalism that exploits young girls and encourages them to dress in "skimpy clothing" and perform "sexually provocative dance routines".
              Your suspicions are incorrect. Unlike you, I do not approve of nor condone the sexual exploitation of young girls, and I would certainly never allow my daughter to appear in such a film as Cuties.

...but did he know her actual age?
              So what if he didn't know her actual age? She has a woman's face and figure, so he knew he wasn't being flirted with by someone underage. As Jeremy from CinamaSins once said about another actress in the film Training Day, "She wouldn't pass for 15 even if you gave her pigtails and a 'Hello Kitty' backpack."

So the "scandal" here seems to be "76-year old man is attracted to a hot 24-year old woman", which is really not much of a scandal.

Comment

I am not disputing the legality if he recognised her age.

Well he is shown lying prone on the bed. Stephen Colbert notes [after we have listened to Guiliani's explanation] "OK I would buy that but I've watched the footage. Why would you go into a bedroom at the suggestion of a young woman to have cocktails to take off a mic?

Colbert also notes that he takes a mic off every night but does not recline on a bed to do so. However, on Monday Baron Cohen is appearing with Colbert and the scene is due to be shown in full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXx-...ature=youtu.be
                Then what is the point about the question of "if he knew she was 24"?

Comment

Colbert also notes that he takes a mic off every night but does not recline on a bed to do so.
                  Stephen Colbert is obviously being misleading here. The stills I've seen show that Giuliani was sitting on the bed when the hot, flirtatious 24-year old removed his microphone, and then he simply laid back to tuck his shirt in. Now maybe the full clip will show something different, but that's what the still images appear to suggest.

But at least Colbert does seem to confirm that it is common to have to tuck one's shirt back in after removing a lavalier microphone.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-22-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Stephen Colbert is obviously being misleading here. The stills I've seen show that Giuliani was sitting on the bed when the hot, flirtatious 24-year old removed his microphone, and then he simply laid back to tuck his shirt in. Now maybe the full clip will show something different, but that's what the still images appear to suggest.
                    Colbert has seen the full scene.

But at least Colbert does seem to confirm that it is common to have to tuck one's shirt back in after removing a lavalier microphone.
                    Does everyone lie down to do so?
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Your suspicions are incorrect. Unlike you, I do not approve of nor condone the sexual exploitation of young girls, and I would certainly never allow my daughter to appear in such a film as Cuties.
                      You support the system that permits global corporations to encourage young girls to behave like that.

So what if he didn't know her actual age?
                      That remains a question for which I doubt any of us will ever have an answer.

So the "scandal" here seems to be "76-year old man is attracted to a hot 24-year old woman", which is really not much of a scandal.
                      Oh it's not a scandal it's just very very funny, especially Borat's comment to Guiliani on the inappropriate age of the female character.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

d

Then what is the point about the question of "if he knew she was 24"?
                        The character is supposed to be fifteen. However, we shall have to wait for further details until we have seen the entire movie and the full scene in context.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Why he is in the bedroom doing that and why is he lying back on the bed?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            That sounds like someone giving a high-profile politician a pass on a potentially devastating sex scandal, for no other obvious reason than partisanship.

Why in the world would you believe what Giuliana says about it? At a minimum, a reasonable Republican/Libertarian would note that the images look damning, regardless of anything anyone is actually saying about the incident...
                            I just got through saying I haven't seen the video. You have a link?

Comment

d The character is supposed to be fifteen. However, we shall have to wait for further details until we have seen the entire movie and the full scene in context.
                              Remember though, this is a "hidden camera gotcha" movie. This means you have to actually differentiate audience knowledge with the knowledge of the Mark. You may know that the "character" is 15 because it was established earlier in the movie. The Mark isn't in on the movie, they know what they know during the set-up. Hence we go back to my question that you keep dismissing. Did he think she was under-age? Just because the audience is doesn't mean he did.

Comment

Remember though, this is a "hidden camera gotcha" movie. This means you have to actually differentiate audience knowledge with the knowledge of the Mark. You may know that the "character" is 15 because it was established earlier in the movie. The Mark isn't in on the movie, they know what they know during the set-up.
                                I suppose the same excuse could be made for Jason Spencer.

Did he think she was under-age?
                                I have not the slightest idea.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment