Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Borat's Gotcha!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenal
    replied
    Okay I've seen it now.

From beginning to end it's a full scale satirical take-down of Republicans in general and Trump-supporters in particular, with a release clearly timed for the election.

The Rudy sketch is relatively minor, and honestly, he comes off as quite gracious. To the prurient-minded, I should also mention there's no doubt he was tucking in his shirt with a quick hand movement pushing in and pulling out right where his shirt tail would be. With Rudy suddenly in the news due to the NY Post story, it made economic sense to highlight his involvement.

To all y'all going off on the 15-year-old track, that never comes up in the sketch except at the tail end when Borat breaks in to call off the gift after the Black woman baby-sitter talks him out of giving Tutar away when he goes to retrieve her ball and chain ... sorry about the spoilers, but really, her age doesn't figure anywhere in the interview.

Don't ask me about the monkey.

Leave a comment:

• LiconaFan97
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

My goodness you sound utterly desperate for interaction. Sorry, don't believe you for a nanosecond. Bye Felicia.
    That's fine. Let me know when you have some evidence to show me.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

Ok. I'm sorry for presupposing you wouldn't be able to back up your claims with evidence. I want to assure you that I will view any evidence you provide with an open mind like I did with the HB sex tape that has been released. Please present your evidence.
    My goodness you sound utterly desperate for interaction. Sorry, don't believe you for a nanosecond. Bye Felicia.

Leave a comment:

• LiconaFan97
    replied

You stated that I can't substantiate. You've already made your mind up, and anything I present - per your own admission - you will not accept. I'm not interested in beating my head against a brick wall, sorry.
    Ok. I'm sorry for presupposing you wouldn't be able to back up your claims with evidence. I want to assure you that I will view any evidence you provide with an open mind like I did with the HB sex tape that has been released. Please present your evidence.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I didn't think so. Early in the series, she had kind of slightly chubby cheeks and looked like a teen. It was always a bit jarring to watch the series in reruns and have it reach the end and jump back to the beginning. Almost all of the characters looked like they'd aged a lot more than 7 years, which was the length of the series.
    At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter. There are 2 primary questions.

1. Was the actress underage? If she was, we stop there, ignorance isn't an excuse. However, She was 24, so we move on to question 2.
    2. Did Guliani think she was underage. Evidence points towards no. At this point, it becomes a non issue, other than someone trying to make it out to be worse than it was. Remember, even if the film established the character to be 15, guliani didn't realize he was in a film, so it really doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

I didn't think so. Early in the series, she had kind of slightly chubby cheeks and looked like a teen. It was always a bit jarring to watch the series in reruns and have it reach the end and jump back to the beginning. Almost all of the characters looked like they'd aged a lot more than 7 years, which was the length of the series.
    20 to 27 is a pretty significant span of physical development for a person.

Here is Geller in what I assume is the first season (that's what the web search indicates):

buffy-season-1-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-7596500-640-480.jpg

She looks young, yes, but she doesn't look 15. I would say she could pass for 18 at the youngest, and even that's stretching it a little.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Hollywood doesn't actually try to make you think that a 20 year old LOOKS like a 14 year old though, they just let you suspend disbelief.
    That's my point. Even if the actress used to "honey trap" Giuliani was playing a character who is supposed to be 15, the actress herself is clearly an adult.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

I think Sarah Michelle Gellar was 20 when she started playing 15-year-old Buffy. Not *quite* the same, but ballpark.
    Hollywood doesn't actually try to make you think that a 20 year old LOOKS like a 14 year old though, they just let you suspend disbelief.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yeah, but she still looked like a 20-year old.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

I think Sarah Michelle Gellar was 20 when she started playing 15-year-old Buffy. Not *quite* the same, but ballpark.
    Yeah, but she still looked like a 20-year old.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

And honestly, I'm still not sure what is distasteful about an older man being attracted to a younger woman who is a consenting adult. It's generally frowned upon by society, but why? There's nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical about it. René Angélil and singerr Celine Dion had a storybook marriage despite the fact that he was over twice her age.
    And currently the opposite, older women with younger men (cougars) is celebrated as "empowering"

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

And?
    The entire premise of your OP with its sordid implications rapidly deflates into a stinky pile of crap.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Personally, I have never in my life seen a 15-year old that could be mistaken for a 24-year old, or a 24-year old that could be mistaken for 15. There is a distinct physical difference between adult women and young girls. 15 or 16 passing as 18? Sure. But 24? No way.

Leave a comment:

• LiconaFan97
    replied

You stated that I can't substantiate. You've already made your mind up, and anything I present - per your own admission - you will not accept. I'm not interested in beating my head against a brick wall, sorry.
    Because I've made an effort to substantiate it and found that these rumors are just made up. I sought out the alleged Hunter Biden sex tape when I cam across a purported link to it so I could validate things for myself.

Look, I apologize for my dig. Would you please substantiate your claim?

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

It's like the time I took a phone call from an angry client who asked me a question and then immediately said, "And I already know that whatever you tell me is going to be a lie!" I paused for a second before replying, "So what can I possibly say that you will believe?" She said, "Nothing! What do you think about that?" I said, "I think I'm not going to be able to help you." Then she swore at me and hung up.

Leave a comment: