Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's habitual unethical and illegal use of other's words and songs in campaign ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You need to simply stop asserting stuff:

Source: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/creedence-clearwater-revival/fortunate-son

Fogerty does not own the publishing rights to this song. He lost them, along with all the other songs he wrote for CCR, in his contract with Fantasy Records, which the band signed when they were struggling. Fantasy's boss at the time, Saul Zaentz, controls the rights and can use the songs any way he wants, as long as it isn't performed by any member of CCR. Fogerty hates that his song is constantly misused, but has no choice. He expressed this frustration on his solo track "Vanz Kant Danz."

© Copyright Original Source

How is this relevant to what I wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

How is this relevant to what I wrote?
      How is it not relevant? If Fogerty doesn't own the rights to the music, then he has no legal standing to file a cease and desist.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        How is it not relevant? If Fogerty doesn't own the rights to the music, then he has no legal standing to file a cease and desist.
        I don't expect him to actually grasp how utterly his point was destroyed. He posted a chart that claimed 215 indictments on the trump administration, when the reality was only 6. His response: "My point still stands"

Comment

I don't expect him to actually grasp how utterly his point was destroyed. He posted a chart that claimed 215 indictments on the trump administration, when the reality was only 6. His response: "My point still stands"
          Blah blah blah, you can't answer the question, so you resort to ad-hominems.

My point here remains: even if Fogerty doesn't own the rights to the song, proof that the Drumpf campaign didn't pay the licensing fees is the presence of the cease-and-desist. And really, no lawyer is going to file such a letter if there's no legal standing to do so.

It's a brute fact that - like many other politicians - Drumpf has a track record of not paying licensing fees for the music played at his rallies.

Comment

My point here remains: even if Fogerty doesn't own the rights to the song, proof that the Drumpf campaign didn't pay the licensing fees is the presence of the cease-and-desist. And really, no lawyer is going to file such a letter if there's no legal standing to do so.

It's a brute fact that - like many other politicians - Drumpf has a track record of not paying licensing fees for the music played at his rallies.
            Fogerty, if he has no rights to the music, has no standing to file a cease and desist.

Comment

Fogerty, if he has no rights to the music, has no standing to file a cease and desist.
              Right. It would be up to the rights holder to file. Fogerty is simply doing this for publicity.

Comment

Maybe whateverman could also file a cease and desist order about the song, since he doesn't own it either, and that way this thread would be doubly pointless in its fake news!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Maybe whateverman could also file a cease and desist order about the song, since he doesn't own it either, and that way this thread would be doubly pointless in its fake news!

Well, it's not really fake news, because it seems that Fogerty actually did file a cease and desist. It's just legally worthless and serves as nothing more than a publicity stunt. As long as the Trump campaign paid the appropriate licensing fees, then there's nothing to stop them from using whatever music they want provided the rights holder doesn't have an agreement with the licensing company to exclude their music from political campaigns.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Well, it's not really fake news, because it seems that Fogerty actually did file a cease and desist. It's just legally worthless and serves as nothing more than a publicity stunt. As long as the Trump campaign paid the appropriate licensing fees, then there's nothing to stop them from using whatever music they want provided the rights holder doesn't have an agreement with the licensing company to exclude their music from political campaigns.
                    I know. My post was more a commentary on how they jump on every little thing as if it's the end of life as we know it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No lawyer did file a cease and desist order. It was just Fogerty telling Trump to "cease and desist" on his twitter account.

Maybe if you actually looked at the source linked in the OP you would know that. Always do your own research and always check sources. Any "lawyer" should know that.

Ekdz9wDUcAEkFVY?format=jpg.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

No lawyer did file a cease and desist order. It was just Fogerty telling Trump to "cease and desist" on his twitter account.

Maybe if you actually looked at the source linked in the OP you would know that. Always do your own research and always check sources. Any "lawyer" should know that.

Ekdz9wDUcAEkFVY?format=jpg.jpg
                        Rolling stone got the actual cease and decist letter, (they didn't print it unfortunately), but they quote everything from trademark infringement to misleading endorsement. They don't, however, cite copyright. Imagine that.

Source: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-fogerty-cease-and-desist-order-trump-fortunate-son-1076914/

In the cease and desist letter, obtained by Rolling Stone, a lawyer for Fogerty told the Trump campaign that the use of “Fortunate Son” at the president’s rallies and events is “likely to cause confusion, mistake and deceive the public as to the affiliation, connection, sponsorship or association of President Trump by or with John Fogerty.” The letter claimed the use of the song constituted as “trademark infringement, unfair competition, false designation of origin and false description” in violation of U.S. code.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Always do your own research and always check sources.
                          Especially when it's something shuny posts!

Comment

Oh. This thread's leading article was misleading, then.

Mea culpa.

Comment

Oh. This thread's leading article was misleading, then.

Mea culpa.
                              so from CivilDiscourse's post it seems he did get a lawyer to send a letter, or at least he has a lawyer speaking about the letter to Rolling Stone. But here in the USA you can get a lawyer to file anything even if they know they can't win. It is always worth a shot to try to bully someone into complying with a letter.

Comment