Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's habitual unethical and illegal use of other's words and songs in campaign ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's habitual unethical and illegal use of other's words and songs in campaign ads

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/19/us/john-fogerty-tells-trump-to-stop-playing-his-song-trnd/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Rock legend John Fogerty issues President Trump a cease-and-desist order from playing his song

By Lauren M. Johnson, CNN

(CNN)John Fogerty has directed President Donald Trump to stop using his song "Fortunate Son," by issuing him a cease-and-desist order.

The founder of the rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival posted his directive in a statement on his Twitter account Friday.
    "I object to the President using my song, 'Fortunate Son' in any way for his campaign. He is using my words and my voice to portray a message that I do not endorse," the singer said.

"I wrote this song because, as a veteran, I was disgusted that some people were allowed to be excluded from serving our country because they had access to political and financial privilege. I also wrote about wealthy people not paying their fair share of taxes."Fogerty goes on to explain that Trump falls into both of these categories.
    "The fact that Mr. Trump also fans the flames of hatred, racism and fear while rewriting recent history, is even more reason to be troubled by his use of my song," he concluded.
    On September 11, he posted a video to his Facebook account explaining the meaning behind "Fortunate Son" and calling Trump's use of the song "confounding."
    "It's a song I could have written now and so I find it confusing ... that the President has chosen to use my song for his political rallies," he said in the post.
    Fogerty is not the only rock icon to ask the President to stop playing their music for campaign purposes.The Rolling Stones, REM, and Steven Tyler have all given Trump the same directive in recent years.
    The Rolling Stones even had to ask twice, once in 2016 and once in June.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

As long as the Trump campaign paid the appropriate licensing fees, then their use of popular music on the campaign trail is neither illegal nor unethical.

And for the record, this isn't the first time an artist has objected to a political campaign using their song. For instance, at least two artists, including Cindy Lauper, requested that Obama stop using their music at rallies and in campaign ads, and in 1984, Bruce Springsteen got in a huff when the Reagan campaign used "Born in the USA".

In other words, this is par for the course for the campaign season.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When it comes to absurd hypocrisy and plagiarism, whataboutism would be such an easy play here with this subject.

Comment

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/11/politics/fauci-trump-campaign-ad-out-of-context/index.html

CNN exclusive: Fauci says he was taken out of context in new Trump campaign ad touting coronavirus response

By Kaitlan Collins, CNN

(CNN)Dr. Anthony Fauci did not consent to being featured in a new advertisement from the Trump campaign touting President Donald Trump's handling of the coronavirus pandemic. Instead, the nation's leading infectious disease expert told CNN his words were taken out of context.

"In my nearly five decades of public service, I have never publicly endorsed any political candidate. The comments attributed to me without my permission in the GOP campaign ad were taken out of context from a broad statement I made months ago about the efforts of federal public health officials," Fauci said in a statement provided exclusively to CNN when asked if he agreed to be featured in the ad.

The Trump campaign released the new ad last week after the President was discharged from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center following treatment for Covid-19. The 30-second ad, which is airing in Michigan, touts Trump's personal experience with the virus and uses a quote from Fauci in an attempt to make it appear as if he is praising Trump's response.

"President Trump is recovering from the coronavirus, and so is America," the ad's narrator says. "Together we rose to meet the challenge, protecting our seniors, getting them life-saving drugs in record time, sparing no expense."The ad then flashes to an interview with Fauci in which he says, "I can't imagine that anybody could be doing more."

Though no date is provided in the ad, Fauci's quote is from an interview with Fox News in March. During that interview, Fauci praised the White House coronavirus task force's round-the-clock effort to respond to the pandemic, which he says included numerous White House meetings and late-night phone calls.

"We've never had a threat like this. The coordinated response has been...There are a number of adjectives to describe it -- impressive, I think is one of them. We're talking about all hands on deck. I, as one of many people on a team, I'm not the only person," Fauci said at the time. "Since the beginning, that we even recognized what this was, I have been devoting almost full time on this. I'm down at the White House virtually every day with the task force. It's every single day. So, I can't imagine that under any circumstances that anybody could be doing more."

In response to Fauci saying the ad took his words out of context, Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh said, "These are Dr. Fauci's own words. The video is from a nationally broadcast television interview in which Dr. Fauci was praising the work of the Trump Administration. The words spoken are accurate, and directly from Dr. Fauci's mouth."

The use of Fauci in the new ad appeared to be a recognition by the Trump campaign that the doctor is a voice voters trust when it comes to the pandemic. Trump has privately and publicly compared Fauci's approval with his own.
        In late July, Trump publicly wondered why the doctor's approval rating is so high when his is so low.

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          As long as the Trump campaign paid the appropriate licensing fees, then their use of popular music on the campaign trail is neither illegal nor unethical.

And for the record, this isn't the first time an artist has objected to a political campaign using their song. For instance, at least two artists, including Cindy Lauper, requested that Obama stop using their music at rallies and in campaign ads, and in 1984, Bruce Springsteen got in a huff when the Reagan campaign used "Born in the USA".

In other words, this is par for the course for the campaign season.
          I believe John Fogerty was clear and specific. I do not believe Trump had permission to use his music..

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

I believe John Fogerty was clear and specific. I do not believe Trump had permission to use his music..
            In situations like this, it's not unusual for artists to file a cease and desist just to make a point even if they don't have a legal leg to stand on. Like I said, as long as the Trump campaign paid the requisite licensing fees, then there's nothing Fogerty can do other than complain.

Comment

As long as the Trump campaign paid the appropriate licensing fees [...]
              It didn't.

If it had, there'd be no cease-and-desist.

You'd have known this, too, if your interest in politics went a single millimeter beyond knee-jerk apologism for your Dear Leader.
              Last edited by Whateverman; 10-20-2020, 09:52 PM.

Comment

It's fun to blame Drumpf for this, especially considering his illegal use of the song Born In The USA, which isn't even remotely patriotic; it's a criticism of the Vietnam War. Anyone who'd actually listened to the lyrics would know this, and an intelligent politician wouldn't play it at one of his rallies. The so-called president has also illegally played "It's The End Of The World" at his rallies too, which itself is pretty funny.

With that said, politicians in general have been doing this sort of thing for a long time. Drumpf is simply the most recent example of it.
                Last edited by Whateverman; 10-20-2020, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/sep/30/facebook-removes-misleading-trump-campaign-ads

Facebook removes Trump campaign ads with misleading claims about refugees

Claims Biden immigration policies risked more Covid-19 as company also blocks ads delegitimizing election results

Facebook removes Trump campaign ads with misleading claims about refugees

Claims Biden immigration policies risked more Covid-19 as company also blocks ads delegitimizing election results

Facebook has removed a number of ads from the Trump campaign for making misleading and inaccurate claims about Covid-19 and immigration.

On Wednesday the social media platform took down the Trump-sponsored advertisements which claimed, without evidence, that accepting refugees would increase Americans’ risk of Covid-19. The ad, which featured a video of Joe Biden talking about the border and asylum seekers, claimed, also without evidence, that the Democratic candidate’s policies would increase the number of refugees from Syria, Somalia and Yemen by “700%”. More than 38 versions of the ad were run on Facebook and were seen by hundreds of thousands of people before the company removed them.

Facebook did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but said in a statement to NBC news the ads violated its policies. A version of the advertisement can still be seen in Facebook’s library but is now inactive, meaning it is not being run across any Facebook products.

“We rejected these ads because we don’t allow claims that people’s physical safety, health, or survival is threatened by people on the basis of their national origin or immigration status,” a Facebook spokesman, Andy Stone, told NBC News in a statement.

The removal is the latest action taken against the Trump administration as social media platforms attempt to rein in misinformation ahead of the 2020 elections. It follows other removals of Trump ads including one in June, which featured a Nazi symbol. The company removed another Trump ad in 2018 saying it violated its rules against “sensational content”.

Facebook is also changing its policies to prevent ads that delegitimize election results, project manager Rob Leathern tweeted on Wednesday. Under the new policies, ads cannot prematurely declare victory, present any method of voting as fraudulent or corrupt, or make accusations of voter fraud. The changes to these policies apply to both Instagram and Facebook and apply immediately as of Wednesday, he said.

Following the removal of the ad on Wednesday, Courtney Parella of the Trump campaign doubled down on the advertisement’s claims in a statement. She did not cite the source of the 700% figure featured in the ad.

“While President Trump took decisive action to restrict travel from China to slow the spread of coronavirus and saved countless lives, Joe Biden was busy calling the president xenophobic and armchair quarterbacking his pandemic response,” she said.

The Biden campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Although Facebook removed the ads regarding refugees and Covid-19, other misleading advertisements remain on the platform. One ad shows Joe Biden with a headphone photoshopped to his ear, perpetuating the false claim that the presidential candidate somehow cheated in the debates.

The advertisement appears to have been launched on the day of the debate but remains active on the platform, with more than 800 versions still active. The ads have been viewed by more than 3.6 million people, the majority of whom are in the key election states of Florida and Pennsylvania, according to Facebook data. latest major Trump resignations and firings

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    It didn't.
                    And your proof that the Trump campaign didn't pay music licensing fees is...?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      And your proof that the Trump campaign didn't pay music licensing fees is...?
                      John Fogorty would not file a cease-and-desist order if this was the case.

Frank

Comment

(June 2020) “The Trump campaign has a Political Entities License which authorizes the public performance of more than 15 million musical works in BMI’s repertoire wherever campaign events occur,” a BMI spokesperson told Deadline.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...pnus5QZ70s2Vum

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

John Fogorty would not file a cease-and-desist order if this was the case.
                          Like I said, artists often do something like this just to make a point even if the cease and desist order has no legal teeth. The question is, is Creedence Clearwater Revival's music specifically excluded from campaign use in the blanket licensing agreements offered by BMI and ASCAP? I can't find a definitive answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                            It didn't.

If it had, there'd be no cease-and-desist.

You'd have known this, too, if your interest in politics went a single millimeter beyond knee-jerk apologism for your Dear Leader.
                            You need to simply stop asserting stuff:

Source: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/creedence-clearwater-revival/fortunate-son

Fogerty does not own the publishing rights to this song. He lost them, along with all the other songs he wrote for CCR, in his contract with Fantasy Records, which the band signed when they were struggling. Fantasy's boss at the time, Saul Zaentz, controls the rights and can use the songs any way he wants, as long as it isn't performed by any member of CCR. Fogerty hates that his song is constantly misused, but has no choice. He expressed this frustration on his solo track "Vanz Kant Danz."

Comment

Never mind. CivilDiscourse beat me to it

Comment