Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

left-wing counter-protestors in San Francisco demonstrate their stance on free speech

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • left-wing counter-protestors in San Francisco demonstrate their stance on free speech

    Source: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/10/18/uneasy-tensions-mount-during-san-francisco-free-speech-protest/


    SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/AP) — A free speech demonstration staged by conservative activists quickly fell apart in downtown San Francisco on Saturday after several hundred counterprotesters surged the area, outnumbering and attacking those gathered, including knocking one in the mouth.

    Team Save America organized the rally to protest Twitter, which it said squelches conservative speech.

    Pro-Trump free-speech supporters and liberal anti-Trump plus anti-fascist protesters faced off at San Francisco’s United Nations Plaza and on a street near Twitter’s Market Street headquarters in a protest over the social media giant’s policing policy of hate speech and fake political news.

    Members of the group wore red “Make America Great Again” Trump campaign hats and carried pro-police “Thin Blue Line” flags and U.S. flags.

    “Two of them were Black men, which is always really confusing to see someone who’s been brainwashed into that,” Demitria Ruiz, a counterprotester, told KPIX.

    The Proud Boys were supposed to attend but organizers said they didn’t show up.

    “I was hoping (the Proud Boys) would … stand toe-to-toe with us and, like, get spit in their face, you know? If you’re going to come out and establish your principles, you might as well actually show up,” Ruiz said.

    © Copyright Original Source


  • #2
    Hmmm, I support Twitter on this one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Hmmm, I support Twitter on this one.
      Do you support the counter-protestors, who outnumbered and attacked the protestors?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

        Do you support the counter-protestors, who outnumbered and attacked the protestors?
        I never support violence in protests, whether its Proud Boys beating up people and pretending it was in self-defense, or Antifa throwing firecrackers into crowds, or fires started or anything like that.

        As for this protests, I agree with what Twitter is doing. Fake News websites posting false information is not something they have to provide a platform for, nor do they have to support organized hate and mobbing campaigns like the ones I've seen the feminists get from conservatives. There's an argument to be had that they need to apply their principles equally, but what they're doing in at of itself seems better than the alternative.

        Comment


        • #5
          You've missed the point, Leon. The point is not whether what Twitter is doing is wrong or right (but in a land that prides itself on allowing free speech, it's very wrong), but that this group of peaceful protesters was attacked by a liberal crowd for standing up for free speech.

          That is blatant hypocrisy and blatantly wrong, since they are likely some of the same who rioted and not-so-peacefully protested in the not-so-distant past and were allowed free rein to do so.

          It is good that you are against violence, but it's sad that you missed the entire point of what happened.
          Last edited by mossrose; 10-18-2020, 11:12 AM.


          Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            You've missed the point, Leon. The point is not whether what Twitter is doing is wrong or right (but in a land that prides itself on allowing free speech, it's very wrong), but that this group of peaceful protesters was attacked by a liberal crowd for standing up for free speech.

            That is blatant hypocrisy and blatantly wrong, since they are likely some of the same who rioted and not-so-peacefully protested in the not-so-distant past no were allowed free rein to do so.

            It is good that you are against violence, but it's sad that you missed the entire point of what happened.
            The people here aren't standing up for Free Speech mossrose. I side with Twitter on this one. I side with counter-protesters for that matter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

              The people here aren't standing up for Free Speech mossrose.
              Bingo.

              For the record, assuming the reporting on this story isn't leaving out important details, I condemn violence on the part of the counter-protesters. I'd condemn demonstration/protest violence in almost any situation, regardless of who the instigators/victims are.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

                The people here aren't standing up for Free Speech mossrose. I side with Twitter on this one. I side with counter-protesters for that matter.
                The protesters certainly were not standing up for free speech, Leon. The protesters were. Twitter is unfair and unbalanced, as is Facebook and the msm. They do not allow dissenting voices, just like the counter-protesters did not want to allow dissenting voices.


                Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mossrose View Post

                  The protesters certainly were not standing up for free speech, Leon. The protesters were. Twitter is unfair and unbalanced, as is Facebook and the msm. They do not allow dissenting voices, just like the counter-protesters did not want to allow dissenting voices.
                  I know some of the groups and places and accounts that Twitter and Facebook have taken down. I'll extend an olive branch and agree that they should apply these principles equally to toxic liberal accounts that harass people, organize doxxing and harassment campaigns, or bot-driven fake news circles. To same extent that liberals are doing those things, those things should be closed down.

                  But it has nothing to do with dissenting views.

                  Take TWeb, we don't allow swear words, posts with explicit sexual content, you've banned one user a couple of times for supporting anti-abortion violence, and you've also banned other users for explicit sexism and racism.

                  If TWeb is allowed to have standards, why shouldn't Twitter?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

                    I know some of the groups and places and accounts that Twitter and Facebook have taken down. I'll extend an olive branch and agree that they should apply these principles equally to toxic liberal accounts that harass people, organize doxxing and harassment campaigns, or bot-driven fake news circles. To same extent that liberals are doing those things, those things should be closed down.

                    But it has nothing to do with dissenting views.

                    Take TWeb, we don't allow swear words, posts with explicit sexual content, you've banned one user a couple of times for supporting anti-abortion violence, and you've also banned other users for explicit sexism and racism.

                    If TWeb is allowed to have standards, why shouldn't Twitter?
                    Tweb allows a whole lot of dissenting views. If we didn't, there would be no atheists or leftists here. Disallowing a few words and sexual content is a far cry from not allowing this who disagree with us to speak at all.

                    And we allow anyone 13 and older to register, so we want to keep the site as family friendly as we can. Although I think Thirsty is the only one of that age group to ever register, so perhaps that is moot.




                    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

                      The people here aren't standing up for Free Speech mossrose. I side with Twitter on this one. I side with counter-protesters for that matter.
                      The counter protesyer position was that the protesters should not be allowed to protest. Hence the attack.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Tweb allows a whole lot of dissenting views. If we didn't, there would be no atheists or leftists here. Disallowing a few words and sexual content is a far cry from not allowing this who disagree with us to speak at all.

                        And we allow anyone 13 and older to register, so we want to keep the site as family friendly as we can. Although I think Thirsty is the only one of that age group to ever register, so perhaps that is moot.
                        Exactly, and let's say we got an influx of people who encouraged violence, and who began to doxx liberals or conservatives on tweb, giving up their addresses and other information and encouraging people to harass them you also wouldn't put up with that. Nor would you put up eight different bots beginning to wall paper the forums with auto-generated posts and similar shenanigans.

                        Yet that is not counted as closing down dissenting views. I support Twitter in doing the above. It's A-Okay in my book.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                          The counter protesyer position was that the protesters should not be allowed to protest.
                          Where are you getting this information from?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                            The counter protesyer position was that the protesters should not be allowed to protest. Hence the attack.
                            It was a counter-protest, I don't see anything saying their position was "The other side shouldn't be allowed to protest", unless you believe this about all counter-protestors in general of course.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                              Where are you getting this information from?
                              From the fact that they attacked them....

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Esther, Yesterday, 12:09 PM
                              29 responses
                              163 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post mikewhitney  
                              Started by Gondwanaland, 11-25-2020, 01:42 PM
                              50 responses
                              263 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Andius
                              by Andius
                               
                              Started by Ronson, 11-25-2020, 11:16 AM
                              11 responses
                              92 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Juvenal, 11-25-2020, 04:13 AM
                              14 responses
                              68 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Terraceth  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 11-24-2020, 06:20 PM
                              22 responses
                              139 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Working...
                              X