Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

/popcorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /popcorn

I'm not sure what to think of this:

Evangelicals opposed to Trump step out of the shadows with new groups and ads

President Trump “attempts to hijack our faith for votes,” the writer Jerusha Duford — Billy Graham’s granddaughter — said Thursday in a Zoom call sponsored by one of a growing number of evangelical groups that have formed to encourage Christians to vote for Joe Biden.

Trump’s “attempts to hijack our faith for votes, and evangelical leaders’ silence on his actions and behavior, has presented a picture of what our faith looks like that is so erroneous that it has done significant damage to the way people view Jesus,” said Duford on the call, which was sponsored by Not Our Faith PAC, a bipartisan group formed just this week with the explicit goal of trying to defeat Trump.

“I spent the better part of my life watching my grandfather look to be an example of Jesus, to how to conduct himself and how to treat people. Scripture talks about doing justly, loving mercy, walking humbly, and these are tenets of our faith that I do not believe our president demonstrates in any way,” she said.

Her grandfather, the most famous evangelist of the 20th century, was friends with presidents of both parties and avoided direct involvement in electoral politics. Her uncle Franklin Graham is one of Trump’s most prominent backers on the Christian right.
    As an atheist critic of religion, there's an awful lot I could say about this, and literally none of it is complimentary.

Still, if Evangelicals are waxing introspective less than 3 weeks before an election in which their champion looks likely to go down in a ball of flame, who am I to criticize. I'm as much curious about the ensuing ratiocination as I am the question of how much credibility they have left on the subject of morality / sin.

I guess I predict that the soul-searching is going to last right up to the point that Biden is declared the election winner. After that, it'll stop on a dime.

No one interested in evangelicals - pretty much Trump's ticket to winning the 2016 election - walking away from him weeks before he's about the lose the 2020?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      I'm not sure what to think of this:

As an atheist critic of religion, there's an awful lot I could say about this, and literally none of it is complimentary.

Still, if Evangelicals are waxing introspective less than 3 weeks before an election in which their champion looks likely to go down in a ball of flame, who am I to criticize. I'm as much curious about the ensuing ratiocination as I am the question of how much credibility they have left on the subject of morality / sin.

I guess I predict that the soul-searching is going to last right up to the point that Biden is declared the election winner. After that, it'll stop on a dime.
      Everyone who's anyone seems to be trying to disassociate themselves from Trump right now. I consider that a hopeful sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Everyone who's anyone seems to be trying to disassociate themselves from Trump right now. I consider that a hopeful sign.
        I don't. They're gonna pretend they weren't part of it, and thus the real problem will slink away, waiting for the next opportunity...

Comment

I guess the thing is that everyone knew this was going to happen, yet some chose to back him anyway. Why would people who are supposedly intelligent enough to try to act in their own best interests choose to do something they'd eventually try to distance themselves from?

Comment

Any Evangelical who thinks Biden is a morally better choice is too stupid to be allowed to vote or preach.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              Any Evangelical who thinks Biden is a morally better choice is too stupid to be allowed to vote or preach.
              By every available standard, Joe Biden is a morally-better choice than the current so-called president.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

So how many Congressmen and the like make sure they are outta town when Trump has a campaign rally? How many are trying to distance themselves from him?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

By every available standard, Joe Biden is a morally-better choice than the current so-called president.
                  He's pro choice, that's basically all that matters.

Comment

Here in Canada, 16% of Canadians would vote for Trump rather than Biden. Trump's support is highest in Alberta, my home province, at 32%.

I'd guess that maybe 5% of the members of my congregation are Trump supporters. The reasons I have heard for supporting Trump are mostly idiotic ("Trump made it legal to say 'Merry Christmas' again"). The members that I know support Trump are mostly older (aged 70 plus). I keep telling myself that these people are basically supporting Trump out of ignorance, but in the interest of keeping the peace I have never had a serious discussion with any of them. I figure it best if we don't have fist fights breaking out in the church parking lot after our Sunday service..

My two "best friends", both non-Christian, are strong Trump supporters. Over the last few years, both have made comments which can only be interpreted as being racist, sexist, bigoted, and hateful. I should perhaps clarify that these are my "former best friends", since I'm in the process of delicately extricating them from my life. I've reached the sad conclusion that there are people I've known for over forty years that I apparently didn't know at all.
                    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

He's pro choice, that's basically all that matters.
                      I mean, sure, I get why a Christian would support someone who claims to be pro-life over someone who's pro-choice, and I understand why they'd point to this support of the pro-lifer as an issue of morality.

If the pro-choicer never actually got an abortion though, wouldn't that make them more moral than someone who did? What if the pro-choicer had never been been a party to an abortion of his/her offspring, but the pro-lifer had? After all, sleeping with several pr0n stars and having gone through 3 marriages is surely a sign that the pro-lifer's morality is - let's say - questionable. At best.

ps. I know you were being both funny and serious, so the above is more like me thinking out loud, rather than asking questions I want answers to. I'm just perplexed at how someone intelligent (ie. Norrid Radd) could ever think Drumpf is a morally better-choice than Biden.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post
                        Here in Canada, 16% of Canadians would vote for Trump rather than Biden. Trump's support is highest in Alberta, my home province, at 32%.

I'd guess that maybe 5% of the members of my congregation are Trump supporters. The reasons I have heard for supporting Trump are mostly idiotic ("Trump made it legal to say 'Merry Christmas' again"). The members that I know support Trump are mostly older (aged 70 plus). I keep telling myself that these people are basically supporting Trump out of ignorance, but in the interest of keeping the peace I have never had a serious discussion with any of them. I figure it best if we don't have fist fights breaking out in the church parking lot after our Sunday service..

My two "best friends", both non-Christian, are strong Trump supporters. Over the last few years, both have made comments which can only be interpreted as being racist, sexist, bigoted, and hateful. I should perhaps clarify that these are my "former best friends", since I'm in the process of delicately extricating them from my life. I've reached the sad conclusion that there are people I've known for over forty years that I apparently didn't know at all.
                        When Hillary Clinton labeled half of the Trump supporters as deplorables, I laughed ruefully; it was a bit cruel and funny at the same time. The longer and more-stridently that support has continued to prop the current administration up, though, the more I've come to believe she was 100% correct. It's taken a lot of personal effort to avoid that administration having an effect on some of my personal relationships - with friends / family who support Drumpf.

I can compartmentalize, and as long as we avoid discussion of politics of any sort, I can pretend to not care.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          So how many Congressmen and the like make sure they are outta town when Trump has a campaign rally? How many are trying to distance themselves from him?
                          I don't know how many, but it seems to include some fairly prominent ones.

https://www.newsweek.com/every-major...ection-1539643

Comment

When Hillary Clinton labeled half of the Trump supporters as deplorables,
                            I was thinking about voting for Hillary Clinton when her comment came out. It cost her my vote when I realized she would still think I'm deplorable even if I voted for her. It's also when I really realized that when I'm voting for President, I'm voting for policies and not personality. I think that is why all the hammering at Trump's personality doesn't cause mass defections. People know Biden has a better personality (although I've read he has a temper off stage) but they look at the policies that would come with a Biden presidency and decide they don't want that.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I mean, sure, I get why a Christian would support someone who claims to be pro-life over someone who's pro-choice, and I understand why they'd point to this support of the pro-lifer as an issue of morality.

If the pro-choicer never actually got an abortion though, wouldn't that make them more moral than someone who did? What if the pro-choicer had never been been a party to an abortion of his/her offspring, but the pro-lifer had? After all, sleeping with several pr0n stars and having gone through 3 marriages is surely a sign that the pro-lifer's morality is - let's say - questionable. At best.

ps. I know you were being both funny and serious, so the above is more like me thinking out loud, rather than asking questions I want answers to. I'm just perplexed at how someone intelligent (ie. Norrid Radd) could ever think Drumpf is a morally better-choice than Biden.
                              There is ample credible evidence that Joe is corrupt, dishonest, racist, and sexually creepy.

Also, to be precise, I'm not saying that Bad Orange Man is morally better, just that he is no worse.
                              Last edited by NorrinRadd; 10-17-2020, 06:54 PM.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment