Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Townhall ratings: guess who won?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Townhall ratings: guess who won?

The Trump campaign is probably getting desperate for some good news...

Biden tops Trump for town hall television ratings

Joe Biden bested Donald Trump on Thursday night in a category sure to grab the president’s attention: television ratings.

Figures released Friday from Nielsen show that Biden’s town hall on ABC averaged 13.9 million viewers, while Trump’s averaged 10.6 million on NBC. But even when viewership figures are added for MSNBC and CNBC, cable networks owned by NBC that also carried Trump’s town hall, the president’s total viewership was 13 million, lower than Biden’s.

Trump has long touted his ability to generate impressive television ratings as a sign of his popularity with the American public. Following his first presidential debate with Biden, for instance, Trump asserted that he had, in fact, won the war for eyeballs.

In July, when Trump announced he would resume his starring role at televised briefings of the coronavirus task force, he explained that one reason for doing so was that they received good ratings.

“Well, we had very successful briefings,” Trump told reporters. “I was doing them and we had a lot of people watching. Record numbers watching. In the history of cable television, there’s never been anything like it.”

Ahead of Thursday’s dueling town halls, which came about after the president declined to participate in a virtual debate with Biden, Trump campaign senior adviser Jason Miller predicted that “we’re gonna have a much bigger audience than Joe.”

It was good to finally have an actual reporter fact check Trump in real time, rather than just let him blather on saying whatever nonsense and lies he wanted.

Though I am wary of people taking about how many more viewers Biden had than Trump - watching him on TV, having to go out and spend hours in a queue to vote is different. On that, how on earth can your country justify some of those wait times to vote we're seeing? Several hours to vote? That's appalling.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      I am wary of people taking about how many more viewers Biden had than Trump - watching him on TV, having to go out and spend hours in a queue to vote is different.
      For sure. TV ratings from last night aren't a reliable indicator of who's likely to win the election. They're bad news for Trump, but I think everyone here is holding their breath, rather than believing these American Dark Ages are about to end.

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      On that, how on earth can your country justify some of those wait times to vote we're seeing? Several hours to vote? That's appalling.
      They're not justifiable at all; there are going to be lawsuits in the courts for the next 6-9 months over it. It's the cherry on top of this **** sundae we've been enjoying for the last 4+ years...

On the plus side, I'm glad this is happening during early-voting, rather than on election day.

Comment

And yet Trump regularly draws thousands to his rallies while Biden is lucky to have more than a dozen show up. In fact, Biden often draws more hecklers than supporters!
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I feel that 13 million and 13.9 million are close enough that it's not really bragworthy to be the 13.9 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I feel that 13 million and 13.9 million are close enough that it's not really bragworthy to be the 13.9 million.
            Trump's TH was broadcast on three channels (NBC, CNBC, MSNBC) whereas Biden's was only broadcast on one channel (ABC). Trump was expected to easily get higher ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post

Trump's TH was broadcast on three channels (NBC, CNBC, MSNBC) whereas Biden's was only broadcast on one channel (ABC). Trump was expected to easily get higher ratings.
              What is the demographic of Biden supporters compared to Trump. Younger folks are going to watch it online. Older folks are going to watch it the old fashion way. Nonetheless, this is like the most irrelevant anti-Trump story I think I've heard on tweb so far. This doesn't change Biden's lack of enthusiasm among voters one lick.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

What is the demographic of Biden supporters compared to Trump. Younger folks are going to watch it online. Older folks are going to watch it the old fashion way. Nonetheless, this is like the most irrelevant anti-Trump story I think I've heard on tweb so far. This doesn't change Biden's lack of enthusiasm among voters one lick.
                Have you seen the early voting lines and vote totals? Records are being broken all over the place.

And the fact that younger viewers would be inclined to watch online seems like it would hurt Biden more than Trump.

Comment

Have you seen the early voting lines and vote totals? Records are being broken all over the place.

And the fact that younger viewers would be inclined to watch online seems like it would hurt Biden more than Trump.
                  *yawn*

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    TV ratings from last night aren't a reliable indicator of who's likely to win the election. They're bad news for Trump...
                    Not necessarily. For instance, how many people tuned in out of morbid curiosity to see if Joe could remain lucid for 90-minutes? (Answer: he couldn't.)
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

*yawn*
                      I just saw it reported that on the first day of early voting in North Carolina 1 million voted. That's 20% of the total cast in 2016. We are heading towards an extremely high turnout election.

The concerning thing for Republicans ought to be the fact that, probably partially due to Trump, a disproportionate number of Republicans intend to vote on election day. With COVID getting worse again and expected long lines that won't be doing them any favors.

Comment

I just saw it reported that on the first day of early voting in North Carolina 1 million voted. That's 20% of the total cast in 2016.
                        Okay, cool. I expect that since this is probably one of the most politically divisive elections in US history. But in relation to the OP... *yawn*

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Not necessarily. For instance, how many people tuned in out of morbid curiosity to see if Joe could remain lucid for 90-minutes? (Answer: he couldn't.)
                          Find some video of him flailing and I'll be happy to watch it. He stuck around for at least an extra half hour after cameras stopped rolling (so, 2 hours total) to continue answering questions so obviously he didn't feel like he was out of gas.

Comment

I do not think being put on multiple channels--especially when two of those channels are cable--would have much effect on the total viewership. If someone wanted to see Trump, they'd watch Trump; if they wanted to see Biden they'd watch Biden. I feel that being on multiple channels would just fragment the Trump viewers among them rather actually offer an increase.

Comment

that's the T.V. Ratings guys what about the Online streaming numbers hmm?

Comment