Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

You can't make this stuff up:

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You can't make this stuff up:

    trumpery

    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/trumpery

    noun, plural trump·er·ies.

    something without use or value; rubbish; trash; worthless stuff.
    nonsense; twaddle:His usual conversation is pure trumpery.
    Archaic. worthless finery.

    adjective: of little or no value; trifling, worthless; rubbishy; trashy.
    I can solve the problem of evil without interfering with anyone's free will. So can your God, but he refuses. This is why I'm His moral superior.

  • #2
    trump

    -a decisive overriding factor or final resource

    -a dependable and exemplary person

    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trump

    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      -a dependable and exemplary person
      I've never come across that usage. Looking at some dictionaries, the UK ones don't have it, and the US ones do but note that it's informal. So I guess it being rare US slang explains why it's unfamiliar to me.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        I've never come across that usage. Looking at some dictionaries, the UK ones don't have it, and the US ones do but note that it's informal. So I guess it being rare US slang explains why it's unfamiliar to me.
        I used to be well-read, but this one is unfamiliar to me as well.
        I can solve the problem of evil without interfering with anyone's free will. So can your God, but he refuses. This is why I'm His moral superior.

        Comment


        • #5
          Another word just added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (probably only online at this point) is sexual preference.
          https://www.merriam-webster.com/medi...l%20preference

          This was added because some Senator wanted to ridicule Barrett for something Barrett was not saying.

          So the Merriam-Webster dictionary now has this warning:
          The term sexual preference as used to refer to sexual orientation is widely considered offensive in its implied suggestion that a person can choose who they are sexually or romantically attracted to.
          The disinformation works at lightning speeds on the internet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Starlight View Post
            I've never come across that usage. Looking at some dictionaries, the UK ones don't have it, and the US ones do but note that it's informal. So I guess it being rare US slang explains why it's unfamiliar to me.
            According to my dictionary (New Oxford American Dictionary), the meaning in question is "informal, dated"--not sure if that means its usage is either informal or is dated, or is both dated and informal--that is, it was is dated, but even when it was current it was informal. I would incline to believe the latter, as I looked it up in the Oxford English Dictionary, and the most recent example of the term it listed was from 1897. Granted, it could be they simply didn't happen to add anything after that, but the fact I've never heard it indicates it's a dated and informal term.

            It was used in the UK, though. The Oxford English Dictionary's examples of this definition in writing are all British publications (e.g. it's in Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers). Granted, as noted, they're almost all from the 19th century (the only one that isn't is from Theodore Bridges' Homer Travestie, which is from the 18th century).

            As a random note, the Oxford English Dictionary also informs me that "trump" is also an Australian/New Zealand slang for a person in authority.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              Another word just added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary
              Languages change over time and dictionary makers regularly update their dictionaries to reflect changes in what people are using words to mean.

              Words tend to change in meaning a lot in the period immediately following their introduction to the language. As a result, a lot of the newish terms relating to LGBT issues are still changing, as is how offensive or inoffensive people perceive different words to be. Given there was just headline-making debate over the perceived offensiveness of a given word, the dictionary makers are right to take notice of that. Different people find different things offensive for different reasons, so it's hard for the dictionary makers to accurately represent that aspect of what society understands the term to mean.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                As a random note, the Oxford English Dictionary also informs me that "trump" is also an Australian/New Zealand slang for a person in authority.
                Well I would mark them wrong. I've never heard that term. No online NZ or Australian slang dictionaries have it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Languages change over time and dictionary makers regularly update their dictionaries to reflect changes in what people are using words to mean.

                  Words tend to change in meaning a lot in the period immediately following their introduction to the language. As a result, a lot of the newish terms relating to LGBT issues are still changing, as is how offensive or inoffensive people perceive different words to be. Given there was just headline-making debate over the perceived offensiveness of a given word, the dictionary makers are right to take notice of that. Different people find different things offensive for different reasons, so it's hard for the dictionary makers to accurately represent that aspect of what society understands the term to mean.
                  Indeed word meaning changes. The meaning of this term changed when a Democrat Senator wished to give a new meaning to the term. Usually a term takes on its conventional meaning instead of a new meaning ascribed by a Senator.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                    Well I would mark them wrong. I've never heard that term. No online NZ or Australian slang dictionaries have it.
                    It might have fallen into disuse, as slang often does. It did mention it being included in an Australian slang dictionary, but that dictionary was from a while ago.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Well I would mark them wrong. I've never heard that term. No online NZ or Australian slang dictionaries have it.
                      Of course you would

                      We can now add that you think that you know more about the English language than the Oxford English Dictionary

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Of course you would

                        We can now add that you think that you know more about the English language than the Oxford English Dictionary
                        You routinely dismiss information from authorities, so go whine somewhere else.
                        I can solve the problem of evil without interfering with anyone's free will. So can your God, but he refuses. This is why I'm His moral superior.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          Another word just added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary (probably only online at this point) is sexual preference.
                          https://www.merriam-webster.com/medi...l%20preference

                          This was added because some Senator wanted to ridicule Barrett for something Barrett was not saying.

                          So the Merriam-Webster dictionary now has this warning:


                          The disinformation works at lightning speeds on the internet.
                          They changed racism's definition extremely quickly this summer as well. MW has become an SJW joke.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                            Languages change over time and dictionary makers regularly update their dictionaries to reflect changes in what people are using words to mean.

                            Words tend to change in meaning a lot in the period immediately following their introduction to the language. As a result, a lot of the newish terms relating to LGBT issues are still changing, as is how offensive or inoffensive people perceive different words to be. Given there was just headline-making debate over the perceived offensiveness of a given word, the dictionary makers are right to take notice of that. Different people find different things offensive for different reasons, so it's hard for the dictionary makers to accurately represent that aspect of what society understands the term to mean.
                            This 'change' just magically happened to happen a couple hours after Dems claimed that ACB's use of the term was 'offensive'. A number of LGBT publications (The Advocate Mag, Pink News) on Twitter were among those hounding her for that, despite a quick Twitter Search showing them using the EXACT SAME TERM themselves in the last few months in their tweets.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              How many people remember what "gay" and "queer" and "faggot" actually originally meant?

                              But heaven help us if we use those terms in any way that doesn't fit the current culture. We'll be hauled off to court for "hate speech".

                              The language changes because people are generally too stupid to think of new words for stuff so they co-opt other existing words and completely change the meaning to suit their agendas.

                              Don't forget where the rainbow was originally used, and it's original meaning, and how a certain agenda has co-opted it to mock it's originator.


                              Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 07:17 PM
                              2 responses
                              19 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by Whateverman, Yesterday, 04:39 PM
                              1 response
                              17 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Maranatha  
                              Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 03:30 PM
                              11 responses
                              88 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Started by Whateverman, 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM
                              4 responses
                              43 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Bill the Cat  
                              Started by shunyadragon, 10-20-2020, 07:16 PM
                              28 responses
                              124 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Sparko
                              by Sparko
                               
                              Working...
                              X