Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California GOP illegally installs unofficial ballot drop boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California GOP illegally installs unofficial ballot drop boxes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mpaign=wp_main

The metal boxes have popped up around Southern California in recent weeks, from churches to gun stores to gyms. On the front, an authoritative-looking sign beckons to voters: “Official ballot drop-off box.”

The California GOP has pushed voters to pop their mail-in ballots inside. Social media posts have advertised their locations, and one regional field director posted a photo to Twitter on Friday showing him holding a ballot in front of one of the boxes.

“Doing my part and voting early,” Jordan Tygh wrote in the now-deleted tweet, which was reviewed by The Washington Post before it was removed. “DM me for convenient locations to drop your ballot off at!”

But those containers, which were first reported by the Orange County Register and KCAL, are not county-authorized ballot drop-off sites. In fact, the unofficial boxes are against the law, state officials said Sunday.

Obviously they knew this was illegal before they did it as I'm sure every state party has multiple lawyers on retainer. I've heard various explanations for why they might do this -- from selectively turning in the ballots to trying to instill fear of using ballot drop boxes generally. It is funny (not really) that it is the GOP engaging in what easily could qualify as election fraud.

Originally posted by LiconaFan97 View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mpaign=wp_main

The metal boxes have popped up around Southern California in recent weeks, from churches to gun stores to gyms. On the front, an authoritative-looking sign beckons to voters: “Official ballot drop-off box.”

The California GOP has pushed voters to pop their mail-in ballots inside. Social media posts have advertised their locations, and one regional field director posted a photo to Twitter on Friday showing him holding a ballot in front of one of the boxes.

“Doing my part and voting early,” Jordan Tygh wrote in the now-deleted tweet, which was reviewed by The Washington Post before it was removed. “DM me for convenient locations to drop your ballot off at!”

But those containers, which were first reported by the Orange County Register and KCAL, are not county-authorized ballot drop-off sites. In fact, the unofficial boxes are against the law, state officials said Sunday.

Obviously they knew this was illegal before they did it as I'm sure every state party has multiple lawyers on retainer. I've heard various explanations for why they might do this -- from selectively turning in the ballots to trying to instill fear of using ballot drop boxes generally. It is funny (not really) that it is the GOP engaging in what easily could qualify as election fraud.
    And yet, in spite of all the issues we've seen with it, the left keeps vehemently pushing for mail-in balloting regardless when the medical experts have said in-person voting can be done safely. Why?

Comment

California is so heavily blue that it's not going to have any effect in national elections anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        California is so heavily blue that it's not going to have any effect in national elections anyway.
        No, but it's always fun when Republicans are caught doing exactly what they accuse the liberals of doing. This also includes voter fraud by voting multiple times, and other shenanigans.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

No, but it's always fun when Republicans are caught doing exactly what they accuse the liberals of doing. This also includes voter fraud by voting multiple times, and other shenanigans.
          The only problem is, Dems have been caught actually engaging in mail-in ballot shenanigans (like in NJ), whereas here, you guys are just assuming the intent is to cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            The only problem is, Dems have been caught actually engaging in mail-in ballot shenanigans (like in NJ), whereas here, you guys are just assuming the intent is to cheat.
            Who are "You guys"? The only one making any assumptions here is you.

Most of the activity done by "You guys" is stuff I support anyway. There's nothing wrong with going door to door and collecting vote envelopes. There's nothing wrong with setting up multiple places to collect the letters. Or to put up informational websites that instruct people in how to vote. They're only wrong because they pull in left wing voters which YouTM hate. Republicans hate people having legal access to vote so much that you're willing to strike people of the voting records "accidentally", which you did multiple times in Florida and still do. This is to the point where Republicans have argued that it's not a good for thing for many people to vote, or to blankly state stuff like "The fewer the better".

Or gerrymandering, which "You guys" favored, advanced and perfected, until you had pretzel districts who's sole purpose was to ensure that a neighborhood of mainly democratic voters counted as Republican. The closest I've ever seen a Republican coming to admitting the shame of that is to cynically remark "It's just another layer of politics". And this in spite of mathematicians having shown that it's possible to precisely define gerrymandering, or even to generate perfectly usable and fair algorithms that are simple and transparent.

Comment

Who are "You guys"? The only one making any assumptions here is you.

Most of the activity done by "You guys" is stuff I support anyway. There's nothing wrong with going door to door and collecting vote envelopes. There's nothing wrong with setting up multiple places to collect the letters. Or to put up informational websites that instruct people in how to vote. They're only wrong because they pull in left wing voters which YouTM hate. Republicans hate people having legal access to vote so much that you're willing to strike people of the voting records "accidentally", which you did multiple times in Florida and still do. This is to the point where Republicans have argued that it's not a good for thing for many people to vote, or to blankly state stuff like "The fewer the better".

Or gerrymandering, which "You guys" favored, advanced and perfected, until you had pretzel districts who's sole purpose was to ensure that a neighborhood of mainly democratic voters counted as Republican. The closest I've ever seen a Republican coming to admitting the shame of that is to cynically remark "It's just another layer of politics". And this in spite of mathematicians having shown that it's possible to precisely define gerrymandering, or even to generate perfectly usable and fair algorithms that are simple and transparent.
              If you weren't assuming Reps were cheating in this case, then what did this mean? "No, but it's always fun when Republicans are caught doing exactly what they accuse the liberals of doing." Or are speaking altered English?

Comment

If you weren't assuming Reps were cheating in this case, then what did this mean? "No, but it's always fun when Republicans are caught doing exactly what they accuse the liberals of doing." Or are speaking altered English?
                I've seen Republicans post articles decrying people helping collect votes by going door to door. And here they're hanging up ballot boxes near churches? Both seem like perfectly legitimate things to do, but it's wrong if liberals are doing it? That's what I'm talking about. That's the hypocrisy.

Comment

I've seen Republicans post articles decrying people helping collect votes by going door to door. And here they're hanging up ballot boxes near churches? Both seem like perfectly legitimate things to do, but it's wrong if liberals are doing it?
                  I never argued it was right or wrong. But you're just assuming it's cheating because we don't know why this was done. We actually KNOW for a fact the Dems cheat because they've been caught doing it. What I don't get, and that no one will answer, is why the Dems are pushing so hard for mail-in ballots when we have all these issues and problems occurring?

Comment

No, but it's always fun when Republicans are caught doing exactly what they accuse the liberals of doing.
                    Over the last two decades in this country, the GOP and conservatives have produced a nearly-constant drone, bemoaning the evils of "judicial activism". You seem to be pretty well-versed in US politics and culture, but at the risk of explaining something you already understand, the term identifies judges who make rulings that conflict with conservatives' understanding of local, state, federal and constitutional law: ie ruling that banning gay marriage is unconstitutional, certain rulings on the rights of undocumented immigrants, striking down certain restrictions on abortion, etc.

As everyone today can plainly see, "judicial activism" is precisely what Republicans and conservatives are fighting to achieve with the SCOTUS appointments.

Hypocrisy is a Republican value.

Comment

I never argued it was right or wrong. But you're just assuming it's cheating because we don't know why this was done. We actually KNOW for a fact the Dems cheat because they've been caught doing it.
                      Republicans cheat with all three arms and a tentacle, and they've done their best to keep it that way. Striking people off voter rolls in Florida which is still going on is still infinitely more shameful than any of the handful of instances that have been linked here on tweb. Because it actually had an effect, and Republicans are still doing it and are in complete denial about it.

What I don't get, and that no one will answer, is why the Dems are pushing so hard for mail-in ballots when we have all these issues and problems occurring?
                      COVID-19, and it's also standard in other countries. There's a difficulty with implementing it in the US because the US doesn't really have a good process when it comes to questions such as "Who is a US citizen". There's no real database or identification system that's reliable, or universally applicable. I mean you guys have to basically tow down birth certificates and all sorts of papers to prove all over again that you're a US citizen in order to get a freaking drivers license. So implementing a proper voting system is fairly complex. Ideally every voter in the US would simply be mailed a ballot, they'd take that ballot to registered voting place, and vote. Or mail in. Or go online and register their vote using their national online multifactor identity provider (NemLog-In in Denmark). Or call a phone if you're disabled and have a social worker help collect it.

And that would be it.

That's pretty much standard where I live.

Comment

Republicans cheat with all three arms and a tentacle, and they've done their best to keep it that way. Striking people off voter rolls in Florida which is still going on is still infinitely more shameful than any of the handful of instances that have been linked here on tweb. Because it actually had an effect, and Republicans are still doing it and are in complete denial about it.

COVID-19, and it's also standard in other countries. There's a difficulty with implementing it in the US because the US doesn't really have a good process when it comes to questions such as "Who is a US citizen". There's no real database or identification system that's reliable, or universally applicable. I mean you guys have to basically tow down birth certificates and all sorts of papers to prove all over again that you're a US citizen in order to get a freaking drivers license. So implementing a proper voting system is fairly complex. Ideally every voter in the US would simply be mailed a ballot, they'd take that ballot to registered voting place, and vote. Or mail in. Or go online and register their vote using their national online multifactor identity provider (NemLog-In in Denmark). Or call a phone if you're disabled and have a social worker help collect it.

And that would be it.

That's pretty much standard where I live.
                        But you and the OP just got through implying the Reps were cheating here. So that still doesn't answer my question. With all the problems and issues we're seeing with this system, why the Dems are pushing so hard for it when medical experts have said in-person voting is not risky. It's not like they're following the science, so what is the purpose?

Comment

But you and the OP just got through implying the Reps were cheating here.
                          I have not implied they were cheating, or doing anything anymore wrong than when Democrats are collecting ballots. Just that Democrats have been called out for collecting votes in an unofficial way like this, and now the Republicans are doing similar stuff.

That's it.

With all the problems and issues we're seeing with this system, why the Dems are pushing so hard for it when medical experts have said in-person voting is not risky. It's not like they're following the science, so what is the purpose?
                          Personally I think I can agree with you that voting can be done safely, but I'm already seeing reports of enormously long lines that take more than seven hours to complete. In Denmark I've never been in line for longer than 2 minutes tops. I walk in there, I have my ballot in hand that I received. We also have mail voting here and it works great, so again, why can't you guys figure it out?

Comment

I have not implied they were cheating, or doing anything anymore wrong than when Democrats are collecting ballots. Just that Democrats have been called out for collecting votes in an unofficial way like this, and now the Republicans are doing similar stuff.

That's it.

Personally I think I can agree with you that voting can be done safely, but I'm already seeing reports of enormously long lines that take more than seven hours to complete. In Denmark I've never been in line for longer than 2 minutes tops. I walk in there, I have my ballot in hand that I received. We also have mail voting here and it works great, so again, why can't you guys figure it out?
                            Denmark pop: 6 mil. I love how you and SL try and compare how your tiny little countries function to that of the US. That's like comparing how to manage the titanic to that of a tiny yacht. As far as why we have long lines, I honestly don't know. But at least that's better than ballots not getting counted, either through human error or outright fraud. But the initial reasoning Dems pushed so hard for it was because of covid, and then they just kept pushing for it in spite of medical experts. I still don't really have an answer to that. Unless, of course, they know cheating and errors will happen, and that's what they're hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD
                              Denmark pop: 6 mil. I love how you and SL try and compare how your tiny little countries function to that of the US.
                              Because we're constantly told how the US is superior to the entire world in every conceivable way. And yet everyday we compare our own experience to the kind of glory you guys are talking about, and the best excuse you guys can come up with is "We're big, that's why we can't figure this out."

About the only thing the US is superior in is conventional firepower. Even Russia who doesn't even have the national economic output of Italy has you beat on nuclear.

As far as why we have long lines, I honestly don't know.
                              It is inexcusable. There is no reason why it need to take longer than a few minutes, even in a metropolis. If you can think of a good excuse let me know.

But at least that's better than ballots not getting counted, either through human error or outright fraud. But the initial reasoning Dems pushed so hard for it was because of covid, and then they just kept pushing for it in spite of medical experts. I still don't really have an answer for that.
                              You keep saying "In spite of medical experts", as if it represents something. There's thousands of medical experts actively calling for congress to keep going with mail in voting.

Comment