Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

How good are campaign promises?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good are campaign promises?

Does history show that Presidents keep them?

I'll never forget the comment by Bill Clinton's chief dog washer, George Stephanopoulos, when he said on Larry King Live that "The President has kept all the promises he intended to keep."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
      Does history show that Presidents keep them?
      It depends on the president.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

This is Obama's record:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...aign-promises/

This is President Trump's record:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37982000

Joe Biden is making a lot of promises.

Comment

Trump tried to keep most of his promises, but was hamstrung by the Democrats. Like his border wall. And on replacing Obamacare, I blame the Republican congress on that one. They controlled both houses at the beginning of Trump's presidency, and he kept trying to get them to come up with a plan to replace Obamacare and they did nothing. For years they complained about it, but when push comes to shove, they were all talk and no action. Trump did eliminate the stupid fine that people were charged if they didn't have insurance. It was more than the insurance!

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
            This is Obama's record:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...aign-promises/

This is President Trump's record:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37982000

Joe Biden is making a lot of promises.
            After 47 years in office Biden is making a lot of promises about finally doing something. OTOH, Trump is pointing to what he accomplished in 3 years.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Trump tried to keep most of his promises, but was hamstrung by the Democrats. Like his border wall. And on replacing Obamacare, I blame the Republican congress on that one. They controlled both houses at the beginning of Trump's presidency, and he kept trying to get them to come up with a plan to replace Obamacare and they did nothing. For years they complained about it, but when push comes to shove, they were all talk and no action. Trump did eliminate the stupid fine that people were charged if they didn't have insurance. It was more than the insurance!
              Not just the Democrats. Many if not most Republicans in the House and Senate fell for the collusion delusion and refused to help until it started becoming apparent that it was a hoax. But that took nearly a year so it was effectively a year lost and as any political watcher will tell you a president's first year is usually when they can accomplish the most. That year was stolen from him by the corrupt Democrats.

Comment