Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is the United States a racist Country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Failed to respond to the specific reasons and actual facts of history why the blacks had no other place but the inner city to go after they were excluded form the housing and education opportunity after WWII.

Still waiting . . . .
    Waiting for what? The question for you is why do you allow it to go on?

Many inner cities are a wasteland. And you literally have cities that have many schools with not one child proficient in math. Zero. Whole schools, thousands of kids, tens of thousands maybe. Let that sink in. I would be firing everyone.

It's just one of many problems, and is merely a symptom of the rot liberals have allowed. Like I said, the teachers unions have you Democrats by the throat, so this is what you get, a wholly worthless education for thousands of children.

You should be livid about it, everyone should be livid about it, but it just continues because the people who should be livid are those involved, from the mayor to the school board to the teachers and administrators, don't seem livid enough.

And you just keep voting them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Many inner cities are a wasteland. And you literally have cities that have many schools with not one child proficient in math. Zero. Whole schools, thousands of kids, tens of thousands maybe. Let that sink in. I would be firing everyone.

It's just one of many problems, and is merely a symptom of the rot liberals have allowed. Like I said, the teachers unions have you Democrats by the throat, so this is what you get, a wholly worthless education for thousands of children.

You should be livid about it, everyone should be livid about it, but it just continues because the people who should be livid are those involved, from the mayor to the school board to the teachers and administrators, don't seem livid enough.

Failed to respond to the specific reasons and actual facts of history why the blacks had no other place but the inner city to go after they were excluded form the housing and education opportunity after WWII.

Still waiting . . . .

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

A little reading of the black experience in racial prejudice and violence against blacks:

partial list.

Source: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2020/06/04/reading-list-black-boston-authors/

Books about Race, Power and the Black Experience, Chosen by Four Black Boston Authors

These works by bell hooks, Frederick Douglass, and other luminaries unpack long histories of injustice—and will help you be a more informed activist today.

by ALYSSA VAUGHN

Shadows of Doubt: Stereotypes, Crime, and the Pursuit of Justice by Brendan O’Flaherty and Rajiv Sethi
        In this provocative read, O’Flaherty and Sethi, both economists, explore the way that stereotypes shape the way crimes unfold, and the insidious ways they color our justice system.

The Torture Letters: Reckoning with Police Violence by Laurence Ralph
        In Chicago, the prevalence of torture at the hands of the police is an open secret—three to five new claims are submitted to the Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission of Illinois each week. In The Torture Letters, a collection of open letters written to protesters, victims, and students,Ralph outlines the history of torture in the city and the rising movement pushing back against police violence.

From the War on Poverty to the War on Crime: The Making of Mass Incarceration in America by Elizabeth Hinton
        In the U.S., one in every eleven Black men is under some form of penal control. In this book, Harvard history and African and African-American Studies professor Elizabeth Hinton attempts to map how we got here, tracing back the rise of mass incarceration to, somewhat ironically, the social welfare policies of Lyndon Johnson’s War on Poverty.

To Shape a New World: Essays on the Political Philosophy of Martin Luther King, Jr. ed. by Tommie Shelby and Brandon Terry
        Martin Luther King Jr. is a ubiquitous figure—but in To Shape a New World, Harvard professors Shelby and Terry posit that the significance of King’s writings and political thought is still under-appreciated and misunderstood. The authors argue that King’s ideas have been marginalized and romanticized, which both strips King of his originality and renders the civil rights movement overly conservative. The authors featured in this collection provide a different lens on King’s work, critically engaging with his lesser-known writings on labor rights, reparations, nationalism, and more.
        Jabari Asim

Asim is a poet, playwright, and writer of books for both children and adults. He also served as the editor in chief of Crisis magazine, the NAACP’s journal of politics, culture, and ideas, and as an editor at the Washington Post, where he wrote a column on politics, popular culture and social issues. He is the recipient of a Guggenheim Fellowship in Creative Arts. Currently, Asim serves as an associate professor and graduate program director in the Writing, Literature, and Publishing department at Emerson College.

His work:

Not Guilty: Twelve Black Men Speak Out on Life, Justice, and the Law (ed.)
        In this essay collection from 2001, 12 prominent black male writers from a broad swath of social and economic backgrounds offer their perspectives on what it’s like to be a Black man living in America.

The N Word: Who Can Say, Who Shouldn’t and Why
        In which Asim untangles the long, complicated history of the slur, and makes an argument for its proper usage.

We Can’t Breathe: On Black Lives, White Lies, and the Art of Survival
        Through the eight essays in this collection, Asim paints a portrait of the Black community’s resistance and survival in the face of America’s deep-seated racism, exploring topics from the importance of Black fathers to the significance of Black writers and Black stories.

Stop and Frisk: American Poems (publishes June 19)
        In this forthcoming collection of dramatic monologues, described as “part rap sheet, part concept album,” Asim confronts the injustices entrenched in the fabric of American culture, exposing that darkness and calling for bold change.

His recommendations for further reading, in his own words:

The Black Book edited by Middleton A. Harris, et. al, with a foreword and preface by Toni Morrison
        “Morrison oversaw this project when she was an editor at Random House. Originally published in 1974, it’s a single-volume encyclopedia brimming with documents, photos, poems, song lyrics, and other items revealing the African-American experience from 1619 to the mid-twentieth century. It includes high and low points, from Emancipation to lynchings and mob violence.”

My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass
        “The second of Douglass’s memoirs and the best, in my estimation. Douglass grew up in Maryland but spent pivotal moments of his adult life in New Bedford, Lynn, and Boston. His recollections of his journey from enslaved to the most photographed man of his time covers a lot of historical ground and pulls no punches regarding white mob violence and anti-black racism.”
        Kerri Greenidge

Currently the interim Director of American Studies and the Co-director of the African American Trail Project at Tufts’ Center for the Study of Race and Democracy, Greenidge’s specialty is African-American history, American political history, and African-American and African diasporic literature. She has taught at BU, UMass, and Emerson, and has conducted research for the Oxford African American Studies Center and PBS.

Her recommendations for further reading:

Force and Freedom: Black Abolitionists and the Politics of Violence by Kellie Carter Jackson
        One of the tenets of the white-led American abolitionist movement in the 1750s was nonviolent resistance. However, 100 years later, legislation like the Fugitive Slave Act and the Dred Scott decision had completely oppressed Black Americans, and Black abolitionist leaders had to embrace violence as the only means of instigating change. Force and Freedom is the first historical analysis to exclusively focus on the use of violence as a tactic by antebellum Black activists. Through violence, the author argues, Black abolitionist leaders were finally able to do what white abolitionists’ nonviolent tactics couldn’t: Create the conditions that led to the Civil War, instigating monumental change.

The Autobiography of Malcolm Xby Malcom X, as told to Alex Haley
        Malcom X was one of the most influential figures of the 20th century, and reading his story in his own words is both difficult and galvanizing. The autobiography, a collaboration with the activist and journalist Alex Haley, outlines Malcom X’s journey from his childhood in Boston, to his involvement in organized crime, to his conversion to Islam and pilgrimage to Mecca. When The Autobiography was published, shortly after Malcom X’s assassination, The New York Times deemed it a “brilliant, painful, important book.”

Race Rebels: Culture, Politics, and the Black Working Class by Robin D.G. Kelley
        An adaptation of several articles published by Kelley, Race Rebels examines the impact of the Black working class on American politics and culture. Kelley’s thesis is, essentially, that many strategies of daily resistance by Black people have been obscured—that “race rebels” have employed unconventional strategies from the Jim Crow era to today to resist oppression.
        Nakia Hill

More Than Enough by Elaine Welteroth
        “As a Black woman, who has worked in predominantly White spaces in my adulthood, Elaine Welteroth’s part-memoir and part-manifesto More Than Enough is a refreshing and relatable read. She keeps it so real about her experience navigating the world and the workplace as a Black mixed race woman. If you’ve ever felt the discomfort of negotiating your salary or getting a promotion which still has undertones of not respecting your worth then this book will resonate with you. More than Enough is one of those books that I found myself talking back to each page literally out loud.”

Where To Begin by Cleo Wade
        “I often pick up Cleo’s collection of the ideas, mantras, and poems in Where To Begin when I am feeling weary of the ways of the world. This intimate body of work mirrors internal conversations that we often have with ourselves but on the page of Cleo’s book. Pre-pandemic, I devoured this book in one day during my commute to and from work on the Orange Line.”

Woman of Color by Latonya Yvette
        “I see a reflection of myself when I pick up this gorgeous book. It lives on my kitchen table. When I open Woman of Color I feel like I am sitting on a brownstone stoop in Brooklyn listening to Latonya tell me stories about her life and flipping the page of her photo album which archives transformative moments in her life. This beautiful body of work also offers style and beauty advice from special women of color in her life.”

Here are some additional antiracism book recommendations we gathered from local booksellers, organized by genre.

Nonfiction

On the Courthouse Lawn: Confronting the Legacy of Lynching in the Twenty-First Century by Sherrilyn Ifill
        “A book which offers both an historical examination of lynching, and a reflection on its sociocultural impacts—which persist to this day. Ifill also offers ideas on how to help communities with histories of lynchings heal, drawing on techniques used in restorative justice, and South Africa’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission.” —Read D., bookseller at Harvard Book Store

Wayward Lives, Beautiful Experiments: Intimate Histories of Riotous Black Girls, Troublesome Women, and Queer Radicals by Saidiya Hartman
        “How do we write the stories of people whose stories have been systematically erased, omitted and lost? Hartman combines archival research with her own imagination to begin writing a record of the intimate lives of Black women at the turn of the century. An urgent, radical, and gorgeously written history.” —Bradley, bookseller at Brookline Booksmith

How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Resistance by Akiba Solomon and Kenrya Rankin
        “A book written by black people, and for black people. For those of us looking for inspiration, hope, or instruction on how to cope and survive in our fight against white supremacy. This book is a collection of thought and wisdom from black creators and activists as they speak about all the ways we find to resist white supremacy—from art, to direct action, education, and more.” —Read D., bookseller at Harvard Book Store.

© Copyright Original Source

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

You will not comment on the history of your liberal inner city failures?

I can understand why, you've run out of ideas.

You've addressed nothing I said.
          Nothing you have acknowledged and responded to the facts I cited. Actually Liberalism and Conservativism are side issues and not relevant to the issues you fail to respond to.

There are other excellent reference a few I have read from: https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ssues-of-race/

Get an education beyond the narrow view of your agenda.

I lliked:

“Progressive Dystopia: Abolition, Antiblackness, and Schooling in San Francisco” (2019)
          by Savannah Shange

“Racism: A Short History” (2015, original ed. 2002)
          by George Fredrickson

“When Police Kill” (2017)
          by Franklin E. Zimring

Frank

Comment

Waiting for what? .
            A response to post #84 and #85 providing you with the facts of history.

Frank

Comment

Still waiting . . . .
              I already know you will do anything to keep your inner cities a cesspool of corruption, greed and poverty. History shows it.

Comment

I already know you will do anything to keep your inner cities a cesspool of corruption, greed and poverty. History shows it.
                Unwarranted dishonest egregious accusation, because you fail to responded to the facts in the history of racism. Classic 'genetic fallacy.'

Still waiting . . . .

Frank

Comment

Unwarranted dishonest egregious accusation
                  It is a matter of historical fact.

You are welcome to defend the liberal record over the last several decades if you want.

Comment

The current Presidential candidates have nothing to do with the history and culture of the brutal racism that is reflected in the many polls over many years. There is no need for any individual arbitrator to make the determination of a fact of history.
                    So you are engaging in what you like to call "duck, dodge and weave" and studiously avoid answering the question.

Not just a craven coward but a blazon hypocrite to boot.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Nothing you have acknowledged and responded to the facts I cited. Actually Liberalism and Conservativism are side issues and not relevant to the issues you fail to respond to.

There are other excellent reference a few I have read from: https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ssues-of-race/

Get an education beyond the narrow view of your agenda.

I lliked:

“Progressive Dystopia: Abolition, Antiblackness, and Schooling in San Francisco” (2019)
                      by Savannah Shange

“Racism: A Short History” (2015, original ed. 2002)
                      by George Fredrickson

“When Police Kill” (2017)
                      by Franklin E. Zimring

So, exactly how many of these have you read?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        So, exactly how many of these have you read?
                        Five of the list. Two more which were fiction on the longer list in the reference

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          So you are engaging in what you like to call "duck, dodge and weave" and studiously avoid answering the question.

Not just a craven coward but a blazon hypocrite to boot.
                          Which question?

As far as the whole thread you are engaging in what you like to call "duck, dodge and weave" and studiously avoid answering the question.

Not just a craven coward but a blazon hypocrite to boot. In spades!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I'm speaking of today Shuny. So I will ask again: What can I do that a black man can't? What laws apply to me but not a black man? I will be waiting.
                            I thought I may add. I believe you are being demeaning and dismissive the thousands of Blacks that responded to the many polls over the years that gave very consistent results.

All the laws should ideally apply to all people ,but they do not as a matter of fact of history. I gave clear and specific examples of how laws were as written were not discriminating, but when applied in some cases almost completely discriminated against blacks. The post war GI Bill to give benefits of education and housing excluded Blacks by practice, and not how the laws were written.

I will give more references concerning law enforcement and the judicial system was not applied equally to blacks as whites. If you are hiding and unaware of this information you are living in a cave.

Frank

Comment