Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

What you are preaching isn't.
    Who are you to state that?

To a sixteenth century Catholic you would be a heretic and liable to be burned alive. Some Catholics today might take the same view.
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 10-20-2020, 10:05 AM.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

To a sixteenth century Catholic you would be a heretic and liable to be burned alive. Some Catholics today might take the same view.

And you would be in the crowd cheering them on.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And you would be in the crowd cheering them on.
        Why do you write that? I am simply pointing out that your pronouncements are no more correct than those of anyone else. It all comes down to interpretation. However, a mindset like the one you are demonstrating is what has ultimately led to the pyres and the gallows.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You are one one of those Jesus called a brood of vipers, so caught up in your error that you won't see the truth when it's right in front of your nose. I won't discuss anything with you, since you are incapable of getting past your own works-based system, and Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine.
          Actually, you don't know the Bible. Jesus called 1st C CE Pharisees and scribes that and there was a specific issue involved. However, Jesus never called a 21st C Christian - or anyone - by those words. You are using the scriptures to spew your own hate. This is both tragic and shameful.

Nor do you have the courage of your own convictions - you are not even forthright enough to tell us what Christian denomination you participate in or is it none at all. How do we know if they, if you are orthodox? All we get is excuse after excuse - all attacks on the person rather than addressing a topic, any topic.

Do you even understand the difference between faith and works and if they even intersect? Probably not.

Some of you folks can't get beyond name calling. Somehow I think your pearls are overpriced :+}

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Exactly and it seems that some of these folks have no idea that some of the early Church Fathers did not take the scriptures literally.

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

Exactly and it seems that some of these folks have no idea that some of the early Church Fathers did not take the scriptures literally.
              We have several Catholics here, even on staff and they think you are unorthodox too. You are more of a universalist than anything else.

Comment

Actually, you don't know the Bible. Jesus called 1st C CE Pharisees and scribes that and there was a specific issue involved. However, Jesus never called a 21st C Christian - or anyone - by those words. You are using the scriptures to spew your own hate. This is both tragic and shameful.
                Jesus called the scribes and Pharisees those names because they rejected Him and His fulfillment of their law. I didn't say he called Christians those names. You can take from that what you will.

Nor do you have the courage of your own convictions - you are not even forthright enough to tell us what Christian denomination you participate in or is it none at all. How do we know if they, if you are orthodox? All we get is excuse after excuse - all attacks on the person rather than addressing a topic, any topic.

Do you even understand the difference between faith and works and if they even intersect? Probably not.

Some of you folks can't get beyond name calling. Somehow I think your pearls are overpriced :+}
                I have not given any excuses for not telling you what I believe. You are so far from the truth that, as I said previously, you wouldn't recognize it if it smacked you in the nose. If you think that being loving to everybody gets you into heaven, then you are lost and not a believer in Jesus Christ.

Go to the Rules at the top of every page here. Click on it. On the left hand side, scroll down to Mission Statement. Open that up and read every single article there.

That is what I believe. You don't want to know what I think of Catholicism and every other works-based "religion".

In the end, I am a slave and child of Christ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

We have several Catholics here, even on staff and they think you are unorthodox too. You are more of a universalist than anything else.
                  First, what do you understand by universalists? And is it Christian Universalist?

And to be fair, I'm listed as Unorthodox Christian not simply unorthodox. But let the Catholics speak for themselves. I would be interested and I mean that sincerely.

But let's be fair and ask of them some tough questions. How do they look on the fundamentalists? How about those who think the Pope a tyrant and not in the line of Peter? And totally ignore the Pope? Or the eucharist, compared to others? Or Confession? How about divorce? How about birth control? I mean if they think that is all a matter of opinion and the point is to do one'a beat and be 'in Christ, I am fine with that. However, if not, if there is right and wrong opinion (i.e. orthodoxy), what must they think of those who question or dismiss and are even diametrically opposed to some of the issues mentioned in the previous sentences? Are they consistent or not: is orthodoxy a moving target?

And how do the Fundamentalists and the mainline Protestants among us look upon the Catholics and the Progressive and the liberal Protestants: orthodox or not? Then there is the Eastern expression with married priests - orthodox or not in the view of Catholics.

I have no problem with the Unorthodox Christian designation as long as people remember the word Christian in the designation and as long as they are consistent in all their 'judgements' of other Christians.

It seems, given where one sits, that many are unorthodox Christians in another Christian's eyes.

Thanks
                  Last edited by thormas; 10-20-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

If you think that being loving to everybody gets you into heaven, then you are lost and not a believer in Jesus Christ.
                    Who are you to make such a presumptuous remark? How do you know the mind of the Almighty? Have you actually ever read the Beatitudes and the Judgement of the Nations?

Nothing in those respective texts tells you that you have to be to be "believer in Jesus Christ". Those "blessed by my Father" are those who have shown compassion and charity and done good deeds. Not those who have postured about how much they believe. Such individuals were referred to by the writer of Mark as hypocrites who have abandoned the commandment of God and in Matthew as looking righteous on the outside but being full of hypocrisy and lawlessness within.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    Why do you imagine yourself to be a slave? That suggests you are forced into something against your will.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by HA
                      Why do you imagine yourself to be a slave? That suggests you are forced into something against your will.
                      Your entire post shows your ignorance of the whole of scripture.
                      I will elucidate you on this one statement.

The word "doulos" in Greek translated by early translators into "bond servant" is correctly translated as "slave". All true Christians are willing slaves of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and I am glad to call myself such. I was not forced, which you would understand if you knew the meaning of "slave" as used in scripture, which I will leave you in your brilliance to look up for yourself.

Comment

Jesus called the scribes and Pharisees those names because they rejected Him and His fulfillment of their law. I didn't say he called Christians those names. You can take from that what you will.

I have not given any excuses for not telling you what I believe. You are so far from the truth that, as I said previously, you wouldn't recognize it if it smacked you in the nose. If you think that being loving to everybody gets you into heaven, then you are lost and not a believer in Jesus Christ.

Go to the Rules at the top of every page here. Click on it. On the left hand side, scroll down to Mission Statement. Open that up and read every single article there.

That is what I believe. You don't want to know what I think of Catholicism and every other works-based "religion".

Actually you did say I was one whom he called that .........and as you now admit, you are in error. And he couldn't have called Christians that because there were yet no Christians. If you think he called me that, you simply don't know the Bible (btw, it wasn't their law, it was his too).

And that's another excuse: 'because you don't understand, I won't discuss it." Praise God that Jesus didn't feel that way, do you know the function of a parable? And again, the Bible as previously mentioned, has Jesus in that discussion with the lawyer - I just referenced it. You do get it, right? Mercy and love, born in faith, is the way to life eternal.

Ruh-roh, did you just give us a hint? So the largest Christian expression in the entire world is not acceptable to you........and you judge it as unorthodox. You must also include the Eastern expression in there - how many more were just cast into the flames? Amazing. But the tragedy is that you have no idea the connection between faith and works. There is no either/or.........unless you don't understand in the first place.

In the beginning and the end, I am a child of the Father, a brother in Christ and united to all in/by the Spirit. I am not a slave to God but I do freely choose to be obedient to him. Most don't understand obedience: it is to make important to you, what is important to another. What is important to the Father is love for all and thus to s/he who is obedient, all are now important and all are (to be) loved. And why do they do such work? Because they trust, obey and give themselves over to the Father - this is faith. What you call works is simply love, born in faith. If you love God (faith) then you love your neighbor (works).
                        Last edited by thormas; 10-20-2020, 01:07 PM.

Comment

On the contrary I look at these texts as I would any other ancient written source. And it is noticeable that very few ever refer the gospel of Mark in their dogmatic pronouncements about scripture or what constitutes their Christian duty. It is invariably either the gospel of John or the writings of Paul that get cited.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          The word "doulos" in Greek translated by early translators into "bond servant" is correctly translated as "slave". All true Christians are willing slaves of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and I am glad to call myself such. I was not forced, which you would understand if you knew the meaning of "slave" as used in scripture, which I will leave you in your brilliance to look up for yourself.
                          Forgive me but that sounds as psychologically unhealthy as believing oneself to be a "Bride of Christ" and going through a faux marriage ceremony complete with wedding band.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Actually you did say I was one whom he called that .........and as you now admit, you are in error.

No. I'm not in error. I said you are one whom He called those names because I believe you are lost in your works-based system which does nothing to save you, and you are too blind to understand what I said.

In the beginning and the end, I am a child of the Father, a brother in Christ and united to all in/by the Spirit. I am not a slave to God but I do freely choose to be obedient to him. Most don't understand obedience: it is to make important to you, what is important to another. What is important to the Father is love for all and thus to s/he who is obedient, all are now important and all are (to be) loved. And why do they do such work? Because they trust, obey and give themselves over to the Father - this is faith. What you call works is simply love, born in faith. If you love God (faith) then you love your neighbor (works).
                            If you aren't a slave of Christ then you aren't a believer.

Comment

I will elucidate you on this one statement.

But we in the 21st C don't use or even like the word or the very idea of slaves and slavery. The very use of the word loses people.

If the good news is important to you, translate this for today's generation.

If you are a slave who is not forced then you are not a slave - but you are, as I said elsewhere, obedient, as way Jesus: obedient to the Father even unto death.

Comment

No. I'm not in error. I said you are one whom He called those names because I believe you are lost in your works-based system which does nothing to save you, and you are too blind to understand what I said.

If you aren't a slave of Christ then you aren't a believer.
                                No, you're definitely in error and now backtracking. Jesus never called me those names - I was not around in 1CE :+} Now you're just making stuff up.

I simply know enough to not use the word: if I am obedient to the Father it is because I believe. You really don't understand the faith/works interconnection.

Comment