Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

The two great commandments my friend and the two are simply one: Love.
    That is a heretical oversimplification. The two commandants are:
    1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul.
    2. Love your neighbor as yourself.
    In fact, Jesus says that number one is "the first and great commandment". If you simply follow the second while ignoring the first, then, as the prophet Isaiah wrote, your works of righteousness are no more valuable than a pile of filthy rags.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I just LOVE when unbelievers think they are quoting scripture to believers as if they understand it.

If you know anything about God, you know He is righteous and just along with being loving. He also hates sin. And His judgment will fall on unbelievers. That is why Jesus came, to reconcile sinners to God. In His human body He showed love for others, but He also showed judgment. Don't forget about those passages in your holier-than-thou smugness.

And the passage about not judging? That's referring to making judgments based on something that you yourself is guilty of, and it is also referring to judging other believers.. You can't judge another believer when you are guilty of the same thing you are judging them for. It is NOT referring to believers judging unbelievers for their lack of belief as shown in their words and actions.

If you're going to quote scripture, at least get the context right, and stop cherry-picking to support your view.

Oh, and God will judge you for your unbelief. Be very sure of that. So I suggest you get familiar with His wrath now and turn to belief before you die, because you will certainly feel His wrath then.
      My friend, I trust you are not talking about me. But if so, I forgive you for your ignorance and your un-christian judgment. Good lord, but you do sound like radicals in other religions. You give us Christians a bad name :+}
      Last edited by thormas; 10-17-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Y

You seem very confident that you are fully cognizant with the mind of God. Is that not just a little presumptuous?
        I certainly am not "fully cognizant" with the mind of God. But I study scripture in context and certainly know more than an unbeliever who pulls passages out of context and fits them into their wishful thinking.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

My friend, I trust you are not talking about me.
          You might need to do a little more study of scripture so you don't take passages out of context. I didn't notice you were an Unorthodox Christian. I was going on what you were posting.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Who is judging you but yourself? It is certainly not me.

If you have a problem with the Son saying the will of the Father is to believe the Son, then your problem is not with me.
            In that case I judge me as one who continually and consistently tries to live as a child of Abba and a brother in the Christ.

Comment

You might need to do a little more study of scripture so you don't take passages out of context. I didn't notice you were an Unorthodox Christian. I was going on what you were posting.
              Rather than personal attacks, why don't you simply engage in the conversation and tell me what is wrong not only with a biblical passage but also and of equal importance what is your issue with what I said before any biblical quote.

Comment

Rather than personal attacks, why don't you simply engage in the conversation and tell me what is wrong not only with a biblical passage but also and of equal importance what is your issue with what I said before any biblical quote.
                I did tell you what is wrong with your interpretation of the passage you were using. And you have to balance God's love with His wrath when you are talking about His love.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  It is God's will that we repent and accept his forgiveness through the death and resurrection of his Son. That is the only path to salvation. Works of "love" won't do it. Indeed, the Bible is clear that there are those who will stand before God on their day of judgment and say, "But, Lord, didn't we do many great works in your name?" and he will say, "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."
                  So God and Jesus don't want us to follow the 2 great commandments?

But you must remember that there is also that little passage that (paraphrasing) says 'you did this, you did that' and the man or woman says, 'when Lord?' and the answer was, 'when you did it to the least of mine.'

Thus it seems that the gates are opened and the welcome mat is rolled out for those who..........love. For to love the least is to love God and it is this act that makes one's repentance (i.e. metanoia) a reality and not merely something to parrot and say "I get it, I did it, I'm saved" when that same person continues to treat others as if they (and therefore the Son) are not worthy.

"I never knew you?" Hardly. Whoever loves is known by God.
                  Last edited by thormas; 10-17-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

That is a heretical oversimplification. The two commandants are:
                    1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul.
                    2. Love your neighbor as yourself.
                    In fact, Jesus says that number one is "the first and great commandment". If you simply follow the second while ignoring the first, then, as the prophet Isaiah wrote, your works of righteousness are no more valuable than a pile of filthy rags.
                    If one does one they are doing the other. Again I give you, "when Lord, when did I do that for you?" And the answer: "Whenever you did it (whenever you loved) the least of mine." In loving the least, you are loving the Son and the Father. Both commandments are fulfilled.

Comment

If one does one they are doing the other. Again I give you, "when Lord, when did I do that for you?" And the answer: "Whenever you did it (whenever you loved) the least of mine." In loving the least, you are loving the Son and the Father. Both commandments are fulfilled.
                      You're playing cafeteria theology here. The Bible says that even sinners are capable of performing acts of kindness (Luke 6:33), but this will not save them. "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, then you will be saved" (Romans 10:9). That's the only way. There will be no "accidental Christians" standing before the Judgment Seat.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So God and Jesus don't want us to follow the 2 great commandments?

But you must remember that there is also that little passage that (paraphrasing) says 'you did this, you did that' and the man or woman says, 'when Lord?' and the answer was, 'when you did it to the least of mine.'

Thus it seems that the gates are opened and the welcome mat is rolled out for those who..........love. For to love the least is to love God and it is this act that makes one's repentance (i.e. metanoia) a reality and not merely something to parrot and say "I get it, I did it, I'm saved" when that same person continues to treat others as if they (and therefore the Son) are not worthy.

"I never knew you?" Hardly. Whoever loves is known by God.
                        You are so wrong here. Once again you are interpreting scripture to fit it into your own idea of what you think it says.

It's so clear that there isn't any possibility of it meaning anything other than what it says.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’

23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.

Matt. 7

"Whoever loves"? What does that even mean? I love my cat, my family, I might even love my car. Lots of people love their sin. You are being very vague, and you are totally missing the mark of what God requires for someone to be redeemed.

Comment

You're playing cafeteria theology here. The Bible says that even sinners are capable of performing acts of kindness (Luke 6:33), but this will not save them. "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, then you will be saved" (Romans 10:9). That's the only way. There will be no "accidental Christians" standing before the Judgment Seat.

Hardly, I'm actually the only one who does not simply read the literal words but seeks to understand the Word.

As for who will be saved I give you Luke 10: when the lawyer responds that he has been taught that the two great commandments are the way to eternal life, Jesus answers: "you have answered right; do this and you will live." And when the lawyer asked, "who is my neighbor" - Jesus tells the story of the Good Samaritan. And, as to who was the neighbor to the injured man, the answer was the one who showed mercy and Jesus said, "Go and do likewise."

So from the two great commandments we move to 'show mercy,' specifically in this case to helping an injured stranger, and that is THE way to eternal life. To show such mercy is to love your neighbor and it is the way to 'inherit eternal life.' Can't get more saved than that :+}

Your other mistake is to think that one who loves, specifically the non-Christian, does it accidentally. However, it is a decision that is lived out; it is such a person who would be the neighbor and show mercy. It is no accident and their's is eternal life.

Comment

Hardly, I'm actually the only one who does not simply read the literal words but seeks to understand the Word.

As for who will be saved I give you Luke 10: when the lawyer responds that he has been taught that the two great commandments are the way to eternal life, Jesus answers: "you have answered right; do this and you will live." And when the lawyer asked, "who is my neighbor" - Jesus tells the story of the Good Samaritan. And, as to who was the neighbor to the injured man, the answer was the one who showed mercy and Jesus said, "Go and do likewise."

So from the two great commandments we move to 'show mercy,' specifically in this case to helping an injured stranger, and that is THE way to eternal life. To show such mercy is to love your neighbor and it is the way to 'inherit eternal life.' Can't get more saved than that :+}

Your other mistake is to think that one who loves, specifically the non-Christian, does it accidentally. However, it is a decision that is lived out; it is such a person who would be the neighbor and show mercy. It is no accident and their's is eternal life.

Thormas my question is what did Jesus die for if eternal life could be gained by us loving our neighbour and showing mercy and helping injured strangers etc?

Comment

I certainly am not "fully cognizant" with the mind of God. But I study scripture in context and certainly know more than an unbeliever who pulls passages out of context and fits them into their wishful thinking.
                              You assume what you interpret is correct, as in your comment to thormas below. One interpretation [i.e. yours] is no more "correct" "true" or "right" than the interpretation of anyone else. Everyone can interpret these texts precisely as they wish and no one interpretation is any more valid than another.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I did tell you what is wrong with your interpretation of the passage you were using. And you have to balance God's love with His wrath when you are talking about His love.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You are so wrong here. Once again you are interpreting scripture to fit it into your own idea of what you think it says.

It's so clear that there isn't any possibility of it meaning anything other than what it says.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’

23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.

Matt. 7

"Whoever loves"? What does that even mean? I love my cat, my family, I might even love my car. Lots of people love their sin. You are being very vague, and you are totally missing the mark of what God requires for someone to be redeemed.

Actually I'm not but it seems your literalist reading of the words of scripture has made you miss the Word that call us to love, to show mercy, to do unto others - and thus to inherit eternal life.

You are not the only one who studies scripture. I have simply written what it says, if one has ears to hear it.

Good lord morose, haven't you ever understood the different kinds of love and that the love we talk about in Jesus is agape or compassionate care and concern for another? I love cookies - do you actually and truthfully think this is the same as the great commandment to do unto others, to love your neighbor? Do you actually and truthfully think that this is what John meant when he wrote that "God is Love" - that it is the same as I love my car? Really? Have you never thought this through?

Missing the mark is a great way to understand and explain the reality of sin, however to love is on the mark, to love is to be at heart of the matter. To love is the be all and the end all, the Alpha and the Omega; God is Love and his sons and daughters are to be as God.

The Word, the Truth, is in the passage you quote from Matthew but you miss it: it is not about using the name, it is not about the name at all (and Christ-ian is also using the name) - it is about doing the will of God. The God who is Love, wills for us to be merciful, to love our neighbor, to do unto others. It is all about Love................. that is how one inherits eternal life. It is by Love that we are saved.

It is not the one who uses the name of Jesus, it is not the ones who continually quotes Jesus, it is not the ones who call themselves Christian - all these can be fine but all of these are worthless unless we love as Jesus loves.
                                Last edited by thormas; 10-17-2020, 04:22 PM.

Comment