Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    Are Beauty Pageants like the Little Miss Texas pageant "leftist filth"?
    Yes.

I regret that I do not share your interest in such matters.
    Oh, we both know your interest is in supporting such perversions, rather than condemning them like me. But thanks for the fallacious attempt at a personal attack (which you claim you don't do) nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      Yes.
      I would not call a Baby/Toddler pageant leftist filth but I certainly find such things very unhealthy. Who knows what Grandpa does with his video footage afterwards?

Oh, we both know your interest is in supporting such perversions
      Oh Gond you are being droll again - you are such a sweetie.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

And Texas which has brought the indictment against Netflix is home to such a pageant that promotes and glamorises the hyper-sexualisation of very young girls [including toddlers].
        Let's have a sense of perspective here: dolling up a little girl in a cute dress and makeup and having her strut across the stage is wrong to a certain degree, but it's not to the same degree as having that same little girl perform an obscene dance in a film ostensibly about how bad it is to have little girls perform an obscene dance, which is why there are laws in the US against the one but not the other.

Which is to say that your attempt at moral equivalence falls flat.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-08-2020, 06:27 PM.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I would not call a Baby/Toddler pageant leftist filth
          Of course you wouldn't

but I certainly find such things very unhealthy. Who knows what Grandpa does with his video footage afterwards?
          Yet you don't find cuties very unhealthy. Despite there being likely thousands of hours of tapes (auditions of hundreds of underage girls, various takes, etc.), along with a published movie, depicting underage girls being sexualized, which any pedo connected to the film can add to their Edited by a Moderator. Very telling.

Oh Gond you are being droll again - you are such a sweetie.
          Nope, just calling you out.

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Please watch your language.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 10-08-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Let's have a sense of perspective here: dolling up a little girl and having her strut across the stage is wrong to a certain degree
            No it's wrong. Period.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            but it's not to the same degree as having that same little girl perform an obscene dance in a film ostensibly about how bad it is to have little girls perform an obscene dance,
            How about this four year old gyrating. wiggling her hips, and strutting her wares? Unfortunately the child cannot sing Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: QuantaFille

If it's wrong, please do not post links to it.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 10-08-2020, 09:37 PM.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No it's wrong. Period.
              Correct.

Just like 'Cuties/Mignonnes'. Period.

Comment

No it's wrong. Period.
                We at least we seem to have found some common ground. So I guess you're going to give up your defense of Cuties.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                  Cuties’ Sparks a Firestorm, Again, After Its Netflix Release
                  The film, which was released as “Mignonnes” in France and won a directing award from the Sundance Institute in February, follows an 11-year-old girl named Amy (Fathia Youssouf) as she tries to find her place growing up in a poor suburb of Paris. At home, Amy has to please her family, who are observant Muslims from Senegal, but she eventually falls in with a group of friends who have their own dance troupe in defiance of her family’s strict rules.

Maïmouna Doucouré, the film’s director, said in an interview with Netflix that the movie incorporated elements of her own childhood in its portrayal of Amy’s struggles between two distinct modes of femininity: one dictated by the traditional values of her Senegalese and Muslim upbringing, the other by Western society.

“I recreated the little girl who I was at that age,” she said. “Growing up in two cultures is what gave me the strength and the values I have today.”

“As a child, that question of how to become a woman was my obsession,” she added.

Ms. Doucouré has said that the idea for the film came to her after she attended a neighborhood gathering in Paris where she saw a group of 11-year-olds performing a “very sexual, very sensual” dance. She said she spent a year and a half doing research and meeting with hundreds of preteens to prepare for the film.

“I needed to know how they felt about their own femininity in today’s society and how they dealt with their self-image at a time when social media is so important,” she told Netflix.

The more sexualized a woman appears on social media, the more girls will perceive her as successful, Ms. Doucouré said.

“Children just imitate what they see to achieve the same result without understanding the meaning,” she said. “And yeah, it’s dangerous.”

I took a special interest in the film due to its origins with an emigrée from Senegal, a country that's dear to me from my time there and my close Senegalese friends. Senegal has deep, intransigent issues, but public child sexualization isn't one of them. Women, of any age, are not cat-called in the streets. These are intransigent western problems, and the movie derives from the needs of its muslim director to push back against them to reclaim the childhood innocence that's more typical in predominantly muslim societies.

Yes, the film depicts sexualization of children because it's necessary to identify a problem in order to effectively oppose it.
                  An IMDb parents’ guide rates the film’s sex and nudity as “severe.” Several scenes show young girls dancing suggestively in short outfits.

The linked scene depicts children dancing provocatively, but it doesn't do so approvingly. The audience is overwhelmingly opposed, and to note the former without noting the latter is to damn the film by misrepresentation, as further noted in the comments.
                  Okay if you actually watched this movie you’d know that a few more seconds in, the main character suddenly begins crying and has an epiphany where she realizes she is throwing away her childhood. She runs off stage, goes home, and the movie ends w her jumping rope and being a kid

On those who judge a film they have not seen and will not see, I have my own judgment. But that judgment is instead based on what I am seeing, right now.
                  so it is OK to actually show over sexualization of children making provocative sexual moves (meaning the young actresses actually had to DO it in order to be filmed) if the other actors in the film disapprove of it??

So if they made a movie where they actually raped women on camera in order to show that rape is bad, that would be OK too?

Comment

More leftist filth. Y'all really enjoy that, don't you? (go look up what happens with the leftist LGBT scene wrt kids cross-dressing and stripping at LGBT bars, for some more leftist filth)

Would have thought JonBenet Ramsay would have been a wakeup call all those years before, but the left can't resist degeneracy.
                    Get some help. You're starting to sound like one of the lunatics on a forum we both used to frequent who were incapable of making a post without some idiotic attack on the left.

Do you really imagine that the child beauty pagaent phenomenon is solely of the left? If so, you are seriously deluded - particularly seeing it is very strong in the south, a predominantly conservative area. But then, if you admitted that, you wouldn't have a childish slur to throw at the left, would you?
                    America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

...fallacious attempt at a personal attack...
                      The irony is strong with this one.
                      America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                        The irony is strong with this one.
                        Yet he won't be averse to using crude language or pejoratives towards you.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Correct.

Just like 'Cuties/Mignonnes'. Period.
                          There we have to disagree.

Plastering your four year old in make-up, giving her an adult woman's coiffeur, dressing her in various provocative costumes, and then having her gyrate, bump and grind on a stage in the hope that you might win the car, the holiday, or the cash is detestable and consumerist capitalism at its worst where the child is effectively used by the parents as a cash cow.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

so it is OK to actually show over sexualization of children making provocative sexual moves (meaning the young actresses actually had to DO it in order to be filmed) if the other actors in the film disapprove of it??
                            Just like all those American Little Miss Beauty Pageants only those contestants are sometime not even six years old.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Because I've seen the film I know that's a misrepresentation. Because you haven't, you don't, which makes your statements not merely dishonest, but recklessly so. Why do you feel — and why not go there — as a Christian — that the actual behavior that's occurring in our society, which we both agree should be stopped, is best addressed by sweeping it under the rug?

This film is a fictional account of actual events in the life of the director. The fiction is that in real life, the behavior is being approved.

You're fighting for the wrong side on this one, Sparkles.

So if they made a movie where they actually raped women on camera in order to show that rape is bad, that would be OK too?
                              This isn't about a rape movie, and your need to go there says you didn't think your misrepresentation of the actual film, even if it weren't a misrepresentation, had enough merit. And on that, you were right.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Because I've seen the film I know that's a misrepresentation. Because you haven't, you don't, which makes your statements not merely dishonest, but recklessly so. Why do you feel — and why not go there — as a Christian — that the actual behavior that's occurring in our society, which we both agree should be stopped, is best addressed by sweeping it under the rug?
                                And you think the best way to address objectionable behavior in society is to create a film in which little girls actually engage in said objectionable behavior while other characters look on with disapproval?

I honestly can not wrap my head around such backwards thinking.

Comment