Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, if we can’t watch an eight year old dressing up, perhaps we could watch a couple of four year olds instead.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I wasn't following the discussion in the other thread, so I assumed this was just another one of "her" anti-America propaganda threads.
      And her opening post suggests that she was actually expecting us to defend prepubescent beauty pageants.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

I'm safe. I don't have NetFlix.
        So you are writing about something of which you have no direct experience?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          And her opening post suggests that she was actually expecting us to defend prepubescent beauty pageants.
          This thread was to point out that the USA is guilty of over-sexualising and exploiting very young girls.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It pretty much is, just one created for whataboutism over the outrage on "Cuties"
            What is your view of the Netflix film? Or is that another question like the one neo-fascism that you will simply ignore?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What is your view of the Netflix film? Or is that another question like the one neo-fascism that you will simply ignore?
              My view on a french film would seem to be irrelevant to your thread, if you wanted this thread to talk about child beauty pagents in the US.
              Last edited by CivilDiscourse; 10-08-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

My view on a french film would seem to be irrelevant to your thread, if you wanted this thread to talk about child beauty pagents in the US.
                The thread is about child exploitation and the hyper-sexualisation of extremely young girls, all of which are encapsulated in the US phenomenon of Toddler Beauty Pageants
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The thread is about child exploitation and the hyper-sexualisation of extremely young girls, all of which are encapsulated in the US phenomenon of Toddler Beauty Pageants
                  Don't watch the beauty contests, have no interest in "cuties"

Comment

Don't watch the beauty contests, have no interest in "cuties"
                    I wonder why you bothered to post on this thread then.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Given the outrage expressed by some contributors to a French coming age film that deals with a young girl on the cusp of puberty, as well as condemnation of the French "perverts" sexualising young girls [the main character is played by a 14 year old actress].

I wonder what many here think of the sexualisation of very little girls for US Beauty Pageants where the desire for prizes in the form of money, cars, holidays etc, leads parents to turn their toddlers into travesties of Dolly Parton or Mylie Cyrus.

More leftist filth. Y'all really enjoy that, don't you? (go look up what happens with the leftist LGBT scene wrt kids cross-dressing and stripping at LGBT bars, for some more leftist filth)

Would have thought JonBenet Ramsay would have been a wakeup call all those years before, but the left can't resist degeneracy.

Comment

I wonder why you bothered to post on this thread then.
                        Well, i've been watching the debate. And it's always interesting to watch you go through some whataboutism.

Comment

Cuties’ Sparks a Firestorm, Again, After Its Netflix Release
                          The film, which was released as “Mignonnes” in France and won a directing award from the Sundance Institute in February, follows an 11-year-old girl named Amy (Fathia Youssouf) as she tries to find her place growing up in a poor suburb of Paris. At home, Amy has to please her family, who are observant Muslims from Senegal, but she eventually falls in with a group of friends who have their own dance troupe in defiance of her family’s strict rules.

Maïmouna Doucouré, the film’s director, said in an interview with Netflix that the movie incorporated elements of her own childhood in its portrayal of Amy’s struggles between two distinct modes of femininity: one dictated by the traditional values of her Senegalese and Muslim upbringing, the other by Western society.

“I recreated the little girl who I was at that age,” she said. “Growing up in two cultures is what gave me the strength and the values I have today.”

“As a child, that question of how to become a woman was my obsession,” she added.

Ms. Doucouré has said that the idea for the film came to her after she attended a neighborhood gathering in Paris where she saw a group of 11-year-olds performing a “very sexual, very sensual” dance. She said she spent a year and a half doing research and meeting with hundreds of preteens to prepare for the film.

“I needed to know how they felt about their own femininity in today’s society and how they dealt with their self-image at a time when social media is so important,” she told Netflix.

The more sexualized a woman appears on social media, the more girls will perceive her as successful, Ms. Doucouré said.

“Children just imitate what they see to achieve the same result without understanding the meaning,” she said. “And yeah, it’s dangerous.”

I took a special interest in the film due to its origins with an emigrée from Senegal, a country that's dear to me from my time there and my close Senegalese friends. Senegal has deep, intransigent issues, but public child sexualization isn't one of them. Women, of any age, are not cat-called in the streets. These are intransigent western problems, and the movie derives from the needs of its muslim director to push back against them to reclaim the childhood innocence that's more typical in predominantly muslim societies.

Yes, the film depicts sexualization of children because it's necessary to identify a problem in order to effectively oppose it.
                          An IMDb parents’ guide rates the film’s sex and nudity as “severe.” Several scenes show young girls dancing suggestively in short outfits.

The linked scene depicts children dancing provocatively, but it doesn't do so approvingly. The audience is overwhelmingly opposed, and to note the former without noting the latter is to damn the film by misrepresentation, as further noted in the comments.
                          Okay if you actually watched this movie you’d know that a few more seconds in, the main character suddenly begins crying and has an epiphany where she realizes she is throwing away her childhood. She runs off stage, goes home, and the movie ends w her jumping rope and being a kid

On those who judge a film they have not seen and will not see, I have my own judgment. But that judgment is instead based on what I am seeing, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                            Cuties’ Sparks a Firestorm, Again, After Its Netflix Release
                            The film, which was released as “Mignonnes” in France and won a directing award from the Sundance Institute in February, follows an 11-year-old girl named Amy (Fathia Youssouf) as she tries to find her place growing up in a poor suburb of Paris. At home, Amy has to please her family, who are observant Muslims from Senegal, but she eventually falls in with a group of friends who have their own dance troupe in defiance of her family’s strict rules.

Maïmouna Doucouré, the film’s director, said in an interview with Netflix that the movie incorporated elements of her own childhood in its portrayal of Amy’s struggles between two distinct modes of femininity: one dictated by the traditional values of her Senegalese and Muslim upbringing, the other by Western society.

“I recreated the little girl who I was at that age,” she said. “Growing up in two cultures is what gave me the strength and the values I have today.”

“As a child, that question of how to become a woman was my obsession,” she added.

Ms. Doucouré has said that the idea for the film came to her after she attended a neighborhood gathering in Paris where she saw a group of 11-year-olds performing a “very sexual, very sensual” dance. She said she spent a year and a half doing research and meeting with hundreds of preteens to prepare for the film.

“I needed to know how they felt about their own femininity in today’s society and how they dealt with their self-image at a time when social media is so important,” she told Netflix.

The more sexualized a woman appears on social media, the more girls will perceive her as successful, Ms. Doucouré said.

“Children just imitate what they see to achieve the same result without understanding the meaning,” she said. “And yeah, it’s dangerous.”

I took a special interest in the film due to its origins with an emigrée from Senegal, a country that's dear to me from my time there and my close Senegalese friends. Senegal has deep, intransigent issues, but public child sexualization isn't one of them. Women, of any age, are not cat-called in the streets. These are intransigent western problems, and the movie derives from the needs of its muslim director to push back against them to reclaim the childhood innocence that's more typical in predominantly muslim societies.

Yes, the film depicts sexualization of children because it's necessary to identify a problem in order to effectively oppose it.
                            An IMDb parents’ guide rates the film’s sex and nudity as “severe.” Several scenes show young girls dancing suggestively in short outfits.

The linked scene depicts children dancing provocatively, but it doesn't do so approvingly. The audience is overwhelmingly opposed, and to note the former without noting the latter is to damn the film by misrepresentation, as further noted in the comments.
                            Okay if you actually watched this movie you’d know that a few more seconds in, the main character suddenly begins crying and has an epiphany where she realizes she is throwing away her childhood. She runs off stage, goes home, and the movie ends w her jumping rope and being a kid

On those who judge a film they have not seen and will not see, I have my own judgment. But that judgment is instead based on what I am seeing, right now.
                            Absolutely children live what they learn.

And in the scene at the end of the film where the girls perform their dance routine for the competition you see the audience and the judges becoming more disconcerted at it.

Amy stops half way though, leaves the stage, and returns home to her mother [the other plot line revolves around what is happening In Amy's personal life]. I recommend it as a very good film.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

More leftist filth.
                              Are Beauty Pageants like the Little Miss Texas pageant "leftist filth"?

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                              (go look up what happens with the leftist LGBT scene wrt kids cross-dressing and stripping at LGBT bars, for some more leftist filth)
                              I regret that I do not share your interest in such matters.
                              Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 10-08-2020, 05:41 PM.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                And Texas which has brought the indictment against Netflix is home to such a pageant that promotes and glamorises the hyper-sexualisation of very young girls [including toddlers].
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment