Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sexualisation of very young girls - US style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    How was that a jab on Esther's part when you've chosen to describe yourself as an "Unorthodox Christian" in your profile?
    Even, if one is termed Unorthodox Christian, the focus was on unorthodox and not Christian.

Simply because I am not a literalist and as a former teacher, it was my responsibility to explain doctrine so new generations of Christians would have some better chance to understand and 'internalize' the Christian faith and simply because I bring these two parts to discussions of Christianity does not mean I am not Christian. Some might take the designation that way but it is not 'unorthodox' it is Unorthodox CHRISTIAN. As I said elsewhere, I am a Catholic, born, bred and educated: we are not literalists, we have a different take on the eucharist (ours is orthodox :+} than some other Christian denominations, and our good Pope John opened up the windows and let the fresh air in now almost 60 years ago. So we are ahead of the curve on what is actually orthodox.
    So, there you go.

But regardless of my designation, I find it sad that it is some, not all, but indeed some of the 'Christians' - yourself included - who consistently forget to 'do unto others and not only not love but to use the good news of Jesus Christ to condemn to damnation those who they think are wrong or unworthy. Christians do not choose who counts as a neighbor and they don't get to decide when to love and when not to: it is all or, it appears that they simply have no idea what their own faith and their Christ is about.
    Last edited by thormas; 10-19-2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• "I'm an unorthodox Christian."
      "Okay. Would you like to discuss your unorthodox Christian beliefs?."
      "How dare you call my beliefs unorthodox!"

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"I'm an unorthodox Christian."

I just realized we have another ox on our hands.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

"I'm an unorthodox Christian."

.........yet not call them Christian.

Also, I have no problem discussing Christianity and beliefs of different kinds and I have no need to damn others or call them ridiculous names like heretic or their beliefs lies. If I disagree, I tell them and typically explain my position, I engage in a conversation. If someone is obnoxious, I'll also remind them about the Christian way. I have no problem giving others the 'time of day' (a chance to give their view free of animus) and I have no fear of others or their beliefs (various Christians, those of other religions, atheists, agnostics, etc). To paraphrase Chesterton, 'if one is sure of the ground on which they stand, they do not fear.'

Then there is the crucial piece: which Christian expression is orthodox? if the Fundamentalists then 1+ billion Catholics are unorthodox as are all the more liberal Protestant Christians. Which expression are you MM? How do we know that what you call Christianity is right? See how this goes?

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I just realized we have another ox on our hands.
            Funny, I was thinking we have a cow and a few mules or perhaps a donkey or two on our hands :+}

I assume it's ok to talk animals,

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

Who is us? Anyone who desires a serious discussion free of the insults and the non-Christian remarks from people who should know better. There are probably more than you realize who are open to having a respectful conversation. After all the site is made up of a variety of people with different beliefs.

Do you know a lot of different Christians, especially given your comments in general and specifically about the apostles. There is no apostle who actually wrote any of the gospels (despite the names of 2 of the 4) and that is not taught in Catholic Christianity. I went to Catholic schools for 18 years including undergrad and graduate degrees - taught by Catholic priests and visiting Protestant theologians. Again, if you want to discuss the scriptures, oral tradition and the apostles, I'm fine with that and I'd enjoy it. Catholics, the largest Christian expression, are not literalists or fundamentalists. I was taught by Jesuits, Benedictines and Seculars and they were the ones who introduced me to biblical study. One can read the Scriptures and be a Christian without taking every word literally.
              Again open to discussion, balls in your court.

There are some very nice and very knowledgeable people here and I'm having delightful conversations with them. I would be delighted if others, like you, joined in but it does get boring when people, Christians, slam other Christians and just anybody who does not believe the way they do. That is not 'do unto others.'

I'm already connected to a other people, including here. Hey, are you prejudice against little people? Are you a Randy Newman fan? You know his song was tongue in cheek. And some of those people, like me are taller than average. BTE, 'all hat and no cattle' is mine. Dibs. Get your own pithy saying and add to the conversation :+} Ruh-roh....was your reference to 'little people' another slam of other children of God again? Careful.

Finally, I didn't slam everybody on the board and you know it (hey, is false representation against one's neighbor still wrong in your Christianity?) - simply the few, actually the very few (maybe 4 or 5?) who have forgotten themselves, condemned others and, then, simply given a few quotes without any attempt to explain other than to give more quotes.

Well there you go. What would you like to discuss first?
              You're really passive aggressive. I'm alright, you have others willing to engage you on your ideas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

You're really passive aggressive. I'm alright, you have others willing to engage you on your ideas.
                I was simply answering your questions and/or responding to you comments - that's what one does in such exchanges, at least some of us.

However, you aren't up on psychology either. My resistance to un-Christian comments and my openness to confronting those who simply give quotes, absent understanding, and then condemn others.......... is not indirect at all. You of all people should know that :+}

It does remain interesting that you have no answers of your own, simply more personal attacks.

Comment

I do know, and the fact that you're even asking these questions tells me that you do not.
                  Au contraire mon ami.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  The short version is that it wasn't an arbitrary process. Books accepted into the canon were done so based on known authorship
                  Have you read Eusebius of Caesarea?

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

You're really passive aggressive.
                    He is. The problem with passive aggressive people is that they often think they're more subtle than they really are.

Personally, I prefer someone who is active aggressive. It's so much more honest.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

He is. The problem with passive aggressive people is that they often think they're more subtle than they really are.

Personally, I prefer someone who is active aggressive. It's so much more honest.
                      Hence my comparison to ox.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Almost Esther, you almost did it but fail, failed at 'doing unto others' - you just had to get in a little jab about unorthodox Christianity - assuming of course that whatever the site means by the term 'unorthodox' is not real Christianity. There are a number of conversations going on Esther on the Trinity, this one, and some others. Feel free. I'm content for now but who knows what will intrigue the group next.

Your profile under Faith heading says "Unorthodox Christian." No jab.

Comment

• Originally posted by Esther View Post

Your profile under Faith heading says "Unorthodox Christian." No jab.
                          Then I take you at your word, thanks.

And please remember that it is still Christian.

Comment

Then I take you at your word, thanks.

And please remember that it is still Christian.
                            What you are preaching isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

What you are preaching isn't.

Ah, there you are. I was hopeful but you quickly dashed that hope.

Hey, just what is your Christian orthodoxy? Catholicism which is not literalist, Fundamentalist which is, where do you stand on the Eucharist - with the Catholics, high Protestantism or another view? And how about the Bible? Since we both know that different Christian expressions have very different views on that. Just how many Christians do you condemn for not being ............you?

And, I thought you said buh-bye. Well, if you want to or are capable of an adult conversation, let us know. Till then............

Comment

Ah, there you are. I was hopeful but you quickly dashed that hope.

Hey, just what is your Christian orthodoxy? Catholicism which is not literalist, Fundamentalist which is, where do you stand on the Eucharist - with the Catholics, high Protestantism or another view? And how about the Bible? Since we both know that different Christian expressions have very different views on that. Just how many Christians do you condemn for not being ............you?

And, I thought you said buh-bye. Well, if you want to or are capable of an adult conversation, let us know. Till then............

You are one one of those Jesus called a brood of vipers, so caught up in your error that you won't see the truth when it's right in front of your nose. I won't discuss anything with you, since you are incapable of getting past your own works-based system, and Jesus said not to cast pearls before swine.

Comment