Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Proud Boys Rally recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

And you don't think leftist scholars you quoted have agendas?
    Why assume that all scholars who offer a more sober and rational approach to these texts are "leftist"?

Whether our focus is unbalanced or not does not mean that homosexuality is not sin.
    So is eating shellfish and pork.

Of course rape is a sexual orientation for some, and helps with survival.
    There is no such concept in the natural world. Male dolphins who take turns to mate with a female [often aggressively] do not consider themselves to be rapists.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by thormas View Post

That is established by their own words and actions in the little, weird video. Tenets are nice but what is said and lived is what counts. They presented their neo-facist credentials/beliefs on the video. No more effort is require to establish what they have already done.

And who in the hell calls a woman a housewife in 2020? Time for a jump into the PRESENT.
      I think the Proud Boys go with the notion of Kinder Küche Kirche. Or perhaps this - it's quite a few years old now [early 90s] but still very funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w&t=7s
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I would suggest that Britannica offers a good thumbnail overview of neo-fascism in its various incarnations.

However, would you deny that the Proud Boys group exhibits elements of neofascism with its emphases on ultranationalism [i.e. the west is the best]? Cultural and racial superiority to wit McInnes' remark that "I love being white and I think it’s something to be very proud of. I don’t want our culture diluted. We need to close the borders now and let everyone assimilate to a western, white, English-speaking way of life." [N.B. Not all white Europeans speak English]. Its calls for the use violence? Again McInnes' various comments "We will kill you. That’s the Proud Boys in a nutshell.” ”We will assassinate you.” “Don’t listen to what he has to say. Choke him.” “Can you call for violence generally? Cause I am.” Its attempts to menace and silence critics? To wit Vic Berger and Gwen Snyder? Its appeal to nativism, xenophobia, populism, and its opposition to immigration? Its members who proudly proclaim their detestation of the Left/Commies? Its members who flaunt their anti-Semitism [to wit George Soros as the eternal Jew" plotting behind the scenes]? And as seen by the #ProudBoys, their homophobia?

If you think none of that constitutes neo-fascism please state your opinion [as it were] "for the record".
        Bump for CivilDiscourse.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

There is no such concept in the natural world. Male dolphins who take turns to mate with a female [often aggressively] do not consider themselves to be rapists.

Actually there is forced sex in the animal world, it is well documented.

https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...t-inexplicable
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Another site also informs us that, apparently "He earned ThM, ThD and DMin degrees from Columbia Evangelical Seminary (formerly Faraston Theological Seminary), an unaccredited online school." Hmmmm.....
            The cultural aversion to calling out fellow Christians allows frauds like "Dr." White to thrive. We had a regular poster here, a phenomenally obnoxious YEC named Jorge Fernandez who pumped up his resume with a fake PhD for his last place co-author listing on an intelligent design book by Werner Gitt. As he'd also listed himself as an adjunct in the Florida college system, I went to the minor trouble of having him blacklisted for it. These guys have no shame.

Comment

Actually there is forced sex in the animal world, it is well documented.

https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...t-inexplicable
              I have already stated that fact but the social groups in which those animals exist do not have a concept of "rape".
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have already stated that fact but the social groups in which those animals exist do not have a concept of "rape".
                That is not the point, which is the desire to rape has a genetic basis - an orientation.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

That is not the point, which is the desire to rape has a genetic basis - an orientation.
                  No seer the imperative to breed has a biological basis. We have exchanged comments on this in the past and I do not intend to derail Leonard's thread.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

The cultural aversion to calling out fellow Christians allows frauds like "Dr." White to thrive. We had a regular poster here, a phenomenally obnoxious YEC named Jorge Fernandez who pumped up his resume with a fake PhD for his last place co-author listing on an intelligent design book by Werner Gitt. As he'd also listed himself as an adjunct in the Florida college system, I went to the minor trouble of having him blacklisted for it. These guys have no shame.
                    What an amusing family name for Werner. You are right sadly, some have no shame.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What an amusing family name for Werner. You are right sadly, some have no shame.
                      There's no cognate from the German.

Some years ago, I was at a relatively small mathematics conference at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Two scholars, both from the moderator's University of Michigan, were presenting when he realized their new research wasn't new, and he ran them off the stage. It wasn't wrong. It wasn't inaccurate. It was just that they hadn't done their reference checks before proceeding with their work. That was enough to get them publicly shamed.

That doesn't happen with Christian apologists.

Comment

There's no cognate from the German.
                        I know. I was thinking of the British/English slang given that this board is for English speakers.

Some years ago, I was at a relatively small mathematics conference at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Two scholars, both from the moderator's University of Michigan, were presenting when he realized their new research wasn't new, and he ran them off the stage. It wasn't wrong. It wasn't inaccurate. It was just that they hadn't done their reference checks before proceeding with their work. That was enough to get them publicly shamed.

That doesn't happen with Christian apologists.
                        So often we find Christian apologetics does not hold itself to the same standards it often demands of others.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I know. I was thinking of the British/English slang given that this board is for English speakers.
                          There's little British-English familiarity on the board that's not due to Monty Python, and far less familiarity with German. People understand grumpy old git, and likewise moistened bint lobbing scimitars, so there's that, but I'd be more in tune with renaming him Gift and letting the translation to English slide under the table.

Comment

There's little British-English familiarity on the board that's not due to Monty Python, and far less familiarity with German. People understand grumpy old git, and likewise moistened bint lobbing scimitars, so there's that, but I'd be more in tune with renaming him Gift and letting the translation to English slide under the table.

Do not forget the mountain in southern in Germany and [not that far away] the village a few kilometres from Salzburg in Austria, both of which attract many English speaking tourists. Although I understand the Germany mountain's name does not carry the same meaning in American English, as was evinced by the name of a character in the 1970s Mork and Mindy series.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Here's some more of the amazingly-good non-violent God-fearing Christian Proud Boys being incredibly awesome and non-violent.

Just kidding: violence and language warning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...assault_a_non/
                              Last edited by CMD; 12-13-2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
                                Here's some more of the amazingly-good non-violent God-fearing Christian Proud Boys being incredibly awesome and non-violent.

Just kidding: violence and language warning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...assault_a_non/
                                First, where do they claim to be Christian, second no Christian here would condone such a thing. Third, I guess they are following the example of Antifa.

Black Lives Matter, Antifa Crowd Beat Man Unconscious in Portland

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bl...nd/ar-BB184kdU
                                Last edited by seer; 12-13-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment